No announcement yet.

N Schools Opening post:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know what - I get confused when it says N Schools Opening Post as everyone knows it should say V Schools Opening Post
    The N was done by the other lot !!!

Comment

Are these available in either DCC or analogue?

Comment

• Neil Dapol
        Neil Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        They will be available in standard analogue/DCC Ready or we can provide them DCC fitted.

Originally posted by Bob G View Post
      You know what - I get confused when it says N Schools Opening Post as everyone knows it should say V Schools Opening Post
      The N was done by the other lot !!!
      N as in N, OO or O

Comment

• Bob G
        Bob G commented
        Editing a comment
        Errrr... it was supposed to be a joke
        Farish did the N mogul, or if dapol had done it, and it was listed here, it would be the N N !!!
        So its not an N Schools, its a N scale Class V Schools.

• Francis
        Francis commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought Bob's comment was both "quick" and knowledgeable - well done!

I'm going to follow Bob's example. I have late crest on order and I will order the black one as well.
      Ged.

Comment

• Bob G
        Bob G commented
        Editing a comment
        It will look good alongside e.g. the Class 5-MT Camelot in early crest too.
        Although I think Dapol has the edge on favouring Southern and Western models right now, with the other one doing midland and eastern.

Just received Shrewsbury in the post. Cant run it until this evening though, but it looks beautiful.
      All the wheels including tender wheels are see through.
      The deflectors are remarkably thin for plastic. Much more so than on the Britannia for example.

Lots of extra bits to add, including fire irons, spare traction tyres, spare universal shaft, spare valve gear rivets, front steps if the front bogie doesn't have to move, and alternative couplings.

I've had two universal couplings fail on other Dapol locos (Britannias) so can I ask for these to be in the spares pack too, or at least be readily available.

Now going away to look at my new model again

Comment

Any word on when the remaining versions will arrive?

Tom.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Repton and Malvern have just arrived so will be going to stockists from Monday and the remainder are due in a week or so after.

• TomE
          TomE commented
          Editing a comment
          Great, thanks Joel!

Pony axles are in the mountings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDVDGJqqp84
        When the pony comes off, the wheel can end up in front of the gear - locking it up and bending everything
        Not impressed with this. Half an hour running in running forward. Turn it around and start running in running backwards. 5 minutes in and it stalled on points. Gave it the Hand of God and off it went, only to stop a little way up the track. Give it a tap and realise that the pony has derailed. Pick it up and find that where the pony has derailed, one wheel had lifted up on top of the valve gear and moved it sideways. Sort that and then realise that the gear is all pushed out and the connecting rod on the other side is also bent. If it's going to do that on a minor derail than it's not fit for purpose
        Took some better pictures. There must be a way to stop the wheel from being able to get in front of that joint ????
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Andy Dapol; 4 July 2016, 15:57.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
          Andy Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Edited to merge multiple consecutive postings.

My 'Shrewsbury' has been on the rolling road for the recommended running-in time of half-hour in each direction, so must get the layout cleaned for a proper run. The loco looks superb and the Maunsell set will be waiting for it in the yard. I've fitted a short buckeye on the tender, removed the front rapido and fitted the dummy 3-link --a big improvement in looks.

Comment

got mine at Invicta model Rail last week 910 Merchant Taylors fantastic workmanship put into this loco on what Mark Ellis has said on axel locking after reading the post on the n gauge forum on Facebook I ran in my loco on my Kato M1 test track the loco did derail on the level crossing peace and lock the connecting rod did bend not as far as Mark Ellis did. mine I played around with the front pony and gently teased the connecting road back it is still slightly bowed but not by much a fiddly job to do after this gave 910 a good run in 15 min each way then turned the loco around & done the same now chipped & ready for future running's with Maunsell coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Southernlad86 View Post
            got mine at Invicta model Rail last week 910 Merchant Taylors fantastic workmanship put into this loco on what Mark Ellis has said on axel locking after reading the post on the n gauge forum on Facebook I ran in my loco on my Kato M1 test track the loco did derail on the level crossing peace and lock the connecting rod did bend not as far as Mark Ellis did. mine I played around with the front pony and gently teased the connecting road back it is still slightly bowed but not by much a fiddly job to do after this gave 910 a good run in 15 min each way then turned the loco around & done the same now chipped & ready for future running's with Maunsell coaches.
            Lucky this time. But it proves that the damage can be caused by such a simple derail. Dapol need to quickly redesign this joint so that it cannot jam up against the wheel. It's such a huge joint

Comment

Hi Mark

Thank you for getting in touch with us in relation to the issue that you have experienced with your Schools Class Locomotive, we welcome all constructive feedback. We ran a sample of the locomotive around our small test track here last week and found that it had good running properties but in light of you your findings we will obviously do some further investigation.

Painstaking efforts have been taken to make the model look as realistic as possible, this limits what options are available to us to rectify issues such as the one you have highlighted. We have considered limiting the movement of the bogie under the front of the locomotive but this would have a severe impact on the radius of what curves and points that the locomotive could traverse. Another option we have considered would be to strengthen the running gear or to move it out slightly but this would spoil the aesthetics of the model greatly.

I will keep you informed of our findings, in the meantime would you be kind enough to PM me so that I can arrange to have your immediate situation rectified.

Kind Regards

Neil Dapol
              Regards
              Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

I don't understand why this joint is so massive! Can the joint be redesigned so that it isn't a massive wall for the wheel to jam against, or prevent the wheel from being able to slip in front of the gear?

Farish have always mounted/pivoted their pony on the front of the chassis to limit any rear axle swing on the pony, as well as using under sized pony wheels

Comment

I am wondering if a self-centering spring would help - remember the first 9Fs had a similar derailment problem.

Similarly, I am wondering what the minimum radius is if you fit the front steps, and whether that would contain the bogie movement sufficiently to avoid the swing out on derailment?

Bob

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                    Joel Dapol commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Bob, I don't think there is a derailment issue. We have tested these fully and they run beautifully with no issues. I think the problem is if they do derail for any reason, then potentially the pony wheel can interfere with the motion. We can look at the suggestion Mark has suggested bit I seem to remember the GFh solution looked a bit unrealistic, but we need to investigate this improvement further. I actually think Mark was unlucky to incur such bending and we will look to sort this out for him.
                    Last edited by Joel Dapol; 5 July 2016, 07:55. Reason: Spelling

Front ponies seem to be a perpetual problem, it may be worth looking at springs to re-center the pony wheels on the axle. The issue would be you would need a collar on the axle in the center and 2 springs 1 pushing each way. The spring pushing down also needs to have sufficient weight above it to force the pony truck down, this can be a major challenge as their is generally very little on the loco that far forward. With out the weight the spring in fact pushes the body / loco up at the front. I have not bought a school so can not comment directly but have come across this on other locos in the past.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Dallimore View Post
                    Front ponies seem to be a perpetual problem, it may be worth looking at springs to re-center the pony wheels on the axle. The issue would be you would need a collar on the axle in the center and 2 springs 1 pushing each way. The spring pushing down also needs to have sufficient weight above it to force the pony truck down, this can be a major challenge as their is generally very little on the loco that far forward. With out the weight the spring in fact pushes the body / loco up at the front. I have not bought a school so can not comment directly but have come across this on other locos in the past.

Richard
                    Reducing the size of the joint would prevent the wheel blocking it. Why not just a brass stud on thin parts like Farish have used so successfully for decades

Comment

Working...
                    X