Schools Class Drawbar Mounting under loco. cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schools Class Drawbar Mounting under loco. cab

I have just been replacing one of the loco. to tender electrical connections on one of my Dapol Schools class locos.. In order to do so, I disconnected the drawbar at the loco. end and slightly separated loco. and tender. This made access to the connector screws and adjustment of the new cable easier. However, when I reconnected the drawbar and tightened the fixing screw, the small brass bush under the loco. cab somehow became detached and the screw, complete with bush pulled out through the drawbar fixing hole.

Can anyone advise me how this bush is fixed in place? Has it simply come unglued from beneath the cab? The part of the bush that appears to have pulled out has a knurled finish, as though it was embedded in the cab floor. However, there is not a hole that is large enough for it to fit in. It is very difficult to gain a clear view, as the loco. baseplate with brake rigging is in the way. There is not an obvious way of removing this to gain a clear view of the underside of the cab and there appear to be no detailed instructions for the loco. that might provide a clue to dismantling the loco.on the Dapol website.

Regards

Doug

Hi doug22150 ,
    I've attached a photo of the position of the loco bush. You'll note it fits under the 'keeper' plate. The plate is removable after the draw bar screw is removed and the small clips either side of the keeper plate front are persuaded to release.

These buses are knurled as they are intended to be a push fit into the plastic socket. The hole should be apparent at the rear center of the chassis (Per photo). In your case a tiny amount of cyano type glue on the knurling before replacement will help retain it. (Be sure to give it a minute or two to cure, otherwise the draw-bar might stick!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200206_101111.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	8945
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Thanks very much for that advice Andy. I didn't want to damage the keeper plate but now that I know how it releases, I will try again. Can you also advise whether it is possible to obtain the motor drive yoke as a separate item?
      Regards

Comment

• Andy Dapol
        Andy Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        HI @doug22150,
        Yes, DCC Supplies will be able to supply this. It's only listed with the motor on the website, so will need a phone call to arrange.

Hi Andy

Thanks very much for that advice. I will contact DCC supplies.

Comment

Hi again Andy
        I just contacted DCC Supplies about the drive yoke and received this reply:-

Hello

Im sorry but the yolks come with the motors

https://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-112973/motor-with-yoke-dapol-n-gauge-schools-class.htm

We dont have any unlisted spares for the schools, sorry.

Best wishes

Ben

Are you able to advise further, please?

Comment

• Andy Dapol
          Andy Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Doug,
          Sorry for this, As it isn't a stock part I had spoken to DCC supplies before advising you, but it seems Ben didn't get the message. I
          believe they have emailed you requesting contact info. and it will be sorted out.

Hi Andy
        Thank you very much. I received the parts today.

Comment

Hi again Andy

I wonder if you can offer any advice on an issue with my 4th Schools Class, Malvern, from the Collectors Club Spring 2020 Offers I have been running it in and it is apparent that it suffers from a tight spot which is only obvious when running round curves. My minimum radius is 300 mm, which the loco. should be able to take with ease. On the straight, running is good but on curves there is a rhythmic "rubbing" and at times the loco. can be seen slowing and surging again as the "tightness" is passed. I have tried running without the front bogie and that eliminates the noise. I think, though, that the problem might be because the leading driving axle does not move smoothly from side to side. It can be felt to almost grate in the bearing as it is pushed from side to side. This is quite different to the easy movement on the rear driving axle. I have tried lubricating the axle on each side but am very wary about over-lubricating.

Regards

Comment

Hi doug22150 ,
            It's tricky without being able to see the model. Certainly 300mm should be OK for this model. My initial thoughts are:
            1. Check the alignment of the motion in case it's slightly bent inwards and is binding
            2. Check the sideplay of all wheels is free - you mentioned this is an issue with the leading driver.
            You are right to not over oil. If a little more judicious movement and check does not reveal anything obvious, unfortunately I can only suggest return to the place of purchase (Us!) or to DCC Supplies for warranty servicing.
            Regards
            Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Working...
            X