Removing Scholls Class Tender body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Scholls Class Tender body

Have successfully run in (on DC) both my Repton and Shrewsbury models. I am really pleased with their slow, smooth running. I now want to fit DCC decoders to both but am finding it almost impossible to remove the tender bodies in accordance with the instructions. I'm obviously being particularly careful not to damage any of the wonderful detail, so maybe I'm simply not pulling at the tender body hard enough?! Can anyone advise further on Schools tender body removal?

Hi Doug2215,

I have taken a look at the tender of the schools and hope the following information is of help to you. 6-7mm from the rear buffer beam along the side of the tender are two internal lugs that hold the tender body on. I gently squeezed here and got my thumb nail under the body of the tender to pop it off. There are a further two internal lugs at the front of the tender that face forwards (again holding the tender body in place). Once the tender body is "popped" you will probably need to move it forwards to release it from this second set of lugs, you may also have to disengage the drive shaft to gain full access, however in the past I have managed to slip out the blanking plug and put in a chip without doing this.

The lugs do have a tight grip on the tender body but with a little patience and due care it will come free.
    Regards
    Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Hi Neil

Thanks very much. It's good to have that extra information as I really don't just like pulling blindly upwards with no idea of where the release points are. I will give it a try again and let you know how I get on.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Dapol View Post
        Hi Doug2215,

.. I gently squeezed here and got my thumb nail under the body of the tender to pop it off. ...
        Once upon a time, during my RAF days, I was seconded to make models for the RAF Museum Hendon, recruitment displays, etc. The Station Dental Officer would give me all his scrap tools, some of which - being designed for working in the small gaps between teeth - were excellent for prying apart model components and sub-assemblies.

Nowadays, thanks to the fragility of iPhone screens, I can easily buy spudgers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spudger). You'll find a wide variety available at a well known online department store that's infamous for legal tax avoidance.

Comment

Neil
          Were you squeezing on the tender body sides, or the sides of the frames?
          Regards

Comment

Working...
          X