Just recieved my 30926 Repton

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just recieved my 30926 Repton

I've just received my copy of 30926 Repton and I am very impressed in it's decoration and running now it's had an hour in both directions and having applied a tiny spot of oil (with a needle) in the recommended places. I can't wait to see how it runs with some carriages behind it. Good job Dapol, it was worth the wait!

Just got my Schools Repton & Shrewsbury. I ran them on the club layout last night (Newcastle by the Water) & they ran for 90 minutes each like a dream. Well Done Dapol!

Comment

My two arrived this morning, and after 2 hours of careful running in, I can report that they look absolutely wonderful, and run as good as they look

30921 Shrewsbury - ran almost perfect straight from the box

30926 Repton - a slight stiff spot at very slow running (say 5 - 10 mph) which has eased out considerably with 2 hours running. also a slight wobble running in reverse, but you have to concentrate to see it, to be honest I have had Farish locos do worse.

as the main lines on my layout use a minimum of 12inch radius curves and medium radius points, I have had no problems with running or derailments in either direction.
      I do have A tighter curve, but the set track point that controls it is in the process of being replaced with one of the new curved set track points, and so will try them both here after the track is relayed (before I lifted this point 9F's, WD's, Manors, Halls and Granges all went through it ok).

As for preparation before running in I would personally recommend that all of the motion pins are oiled, along with a bit through the holes in the keeper plate that give access to the gears. I believe that whether Dapol or Farish, treating a steam loco like the real thing pays dividends and also keep my fingers away from the valve gear when handling them. I have seen far too many people pick locos up in this way and I am convinced that it leads to damage.
      Similarly, propelling locos with traction tyres down re railing ramps is a big mistake, this will also lead to problems.

I hope this helps

Regards,

Alex

Comment

Bought Repton Schools class from my local model shop a week or two ago and have had a chance to run it in. Very impressed with the quiet operation (quietest cardan shaft loco I've bought from Dapol) and after a couple of hours running in it performs beautifully. So impressed I bought the St Lawrence collectors club version and that was superb also.
        Word of warning, for those who don't already know, these locos really don't like curves less than radius 2 and it is very easy to get the rear wheels of the bogies locked up tight with the valve gear. The best way to free up the jam is to loosen the bogie screw until the jam releases. Any force, I imagine, could easily break something.
        I don't consider this to be a fault as Dapol clearly state that radius 2 is the minimum curve - but many people will try tighter curves anyway (as I did) - so be warned.

Regards

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by austinbob View Post
          Bought Repton Schools class from my local model shop a week or two ago and have had a chance to run it in. Very impressed with the quiet operation (quietest cardan shaft loco I've bought from Dapol) and after a couple of hours running in it performs beautifully. So impressed I bought the St Lawrence collectors club version and that was superb also.
          Word of warning, for those who don't already know, these locos really don't like curves less than radius 2 and it is very easy to get the rear wheels of the bogies locked up tight with the valve gear. The best way to free up the jam is to loosen the bogie screw until the jam releases. Any force, I imagine, could easily break something.
          I don't consider this to be a fault as Dapol clearly state that radius 2 is the minimum curve - but many people will try tighter curves anyway (as I did) - so be warned.

Regards

Bob
          I'm very pleased to see so many happy stories about the Schools. Sadly my experience was not so good. The previous user of my "new" Merchant Taylors appeared to have done exactly what Austinbob warns about. On delivery the bogie was jammed under the valve gear and judging by the abrasions and bent gear on both sides this had happened several times. From the state of the wheels it had obviously been run quite a bit before being rendered unusable. My dealer can't understand how he received a "new" loco from the factory in such a state. Nor can I.

Regards, John

Comment

• 08guy
            08guy commented
            Editing a comment
            John, it has to be asked. If it was so bad how come the dealer didn't notice it? Don't they at least do some kind of check?
            There are of course some dealers who simple ship stuff in and get it out ASAP. In this case they accept a high number of returns, and, just perhaps may occasionally get returns mixed up with 'new' goods.
            Regardless, who in their right mind would repeatedly do something like this? - Mr Ellis?

My Schools was in the first batch my dealer received from Dapol, No returns in his shop at that stage so no mix ups there. You wouldn't have noticed the problems unless you removed it from the all packaging. He is now test running everything before he sends it out.

Comment

My replacement Schools Shrewsbury arrived this afternoon, the first one was absolutely awful running. The comment above regarding the bogie jamming in the valve gear is occurring on mine. I must confess to being a little disappointed as my minimum radius curves are 3 so would not expected this. What is the best solution to stop the valve gaer and the bogies locking together rendering front movement impossible then it derails?

Comment

Originally posted by Georgehgv View Post
              My replacement Schools Shrewsbury arrived this afternoon, the first one was absolutely awful running. The comment above regarding the bogie jamming in the valve gear is occurring on mine. I must confess to being a little disappointed as my minimum radius curves are 3 so would not expected this. What is the best solution to stop the valve gaer and the bogies locking together rendering front movement impossible then it derails?
              try loosening the bogie pivot screw 1 turn, if this solves the problem, make a 0.75mm washer and place it between the bogie mounting post and the bogie. this will allow it to better negotiate any irregularity in track level, and often helps in traversing points and curves. I have 2 modified in this way and have no problems in derailments

Regards,

Alex

Comment

• Georgehgv
                Georgehgv commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for that but where will I get a .75mm washer from?

• Hailstone
                Hailstone commented
                Editing a comment
                I made my washers by hand from a piece of plasticard

Originally posted by Hailstone View Post

try loosening the bogie pivot screw 1 turn, if this solves the problem, make a 0.75mm washer and place it between the bogie mounting post and the bogie. this will allow it to better negotiate any irregularity in track level, and often helps in traversing points and curves. I have 2 modified in this way and have no problems in derailments

Regards,

Alex
              Out of interest, would that have an effect on making the loco more potentially welcoming to tighter radius curves?

Comment

• Hailstone
                Hailstone commented
                Editing a comment
                I am afraid that I don't know as the minimum radius on my main line is 12"

Regards,

Alex

• Joel Dapol
                Joel Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                It is really strange but we have run several schools on our display layout and they negotiate R1 curves with no problem if run carefully and R2 with no issue.

• Pete33
                Pete33 commented
                Editing a comment
                There are two locations on my layout which tighten up to R1, if only very briefly. When I tested a Schools, one of those was enough to ensure that the front bogie's rear wheel was jammed into the side motion. In possible defence of this R1 spot, though, the loco didn't seem entirely happy before that. If I remember correctly, the bogie jammed the side motion (once, and not especially hard) even on a straight before I tested it on a curve. Perhaps I just picked the wrong example.

The material used to make the side motion is certainly a little 'soft' when compared to locos of other makes. A tougher metal would reduce the instances of this bending when hit by the bogie. I'd love to have the SR Maunsell Green version of the loco on my 1930 SR layout, but at the moment it's just too risky.

I'm reading the posts here regarding the Schools Class Loco's with an ever increasing sense of frustration. I have just returned my 4th (Yes 4th) Repton model to Hattons and have thrown in the towel with a view to becoming an owner of this fine looking model. No. 1 arrived with the draw bar detached at the loco end, indeed, the threaded insert which locates under the cab floor was loose in the box with its accompanying screw in place, one of the flexible power link wires was also broken. No. 2 arrived and out of the box, exhibited jerky forward and reverse motion, particularly at slow speed. No amount of running-in (an hour in both directions on a loaned rolling road) and light oiling of the motion made the slightest difference. No. 3, exactly the same as No.2, plus it derailed readily reversing round 2nd radius curves even at the slowest speeds (I have had the track geometry checked and re-checked by more expert modellers than me and it is fine, plus all my other locos bar none negotiate the curves with out complaint). No.4, exactly the same as No.3, its only saving grace being it was the quietest of the lot.

I've read comments elsewhere eg RM Web and NGS about how individuals have managed to improve the running of their Schools Class Locos by direct mechanical intervention, so the problems are not uncommon it appears. This is all fine if you have the manual dexterity to do this and workshop facilities to some degree - Unfortunately, I do not!

The point I'm trying to make here is that I/we should not have to intervene at all, beyond the requisite lubrication and running-in periods the manufacturers state. These models should work "Straight-Out-Of-The-Box". without the risks involved in attacking a model with a needle file or such, while its under warranty.

Sadly, this was my first Dapol Steamer and I was looking forward to the release of the West Country Class in due course, but I now have serious doubts about this.

I would just like to add that Hattons themselves have been absolutely fantastic in shipping locos to me and their return all at their expense, I cannot offer the team there enough praise or thanks.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                Joel Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                I am sorry that you have had such a litany of problems with the Schools Class. I would dearly have liked to have seen your troubled models and to be able to identify the faults here at Dapol. I will try to look out for your returns when we receive them back from Hattons. Is there any chance you could email me your real name and I can identify your returns (treated in absolute confidence).

I agree entirely with your statement that models should run straight out of the box and whist you have had problems with this locomotive, the fact is that the level of return on this locomotive is no different from that we have experienced with our other designs. However, as I have indicated without a proper sight of your models it is difficult for us to comment with any accuracy.
            Working...
            X