GWR Shunters truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GWR Shunters truck

Now that the Class 08's are available would there be a market from those who model the Western Region for a shunters truck which was used in front of the shunting loco. These were used all over the region in both steam and diesel days in marshalling yards and else where.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

good to hear, I´m not the only one playing around with that idea.

As an additional special feature the tool box of the shunters truck could have an openable hatch to store one or two O gauge shunters poles inside. Since still O gauge is a fiddly scale for realistic couplings (and some modellers even tend to change the couplings with regular ones) the shunters pole could also be used by 1:1 scale figs to make shunting easier (I personally use sometimes an kinked toothpick). With that the shunters truck would not only be a worthwhile addition to the fleet but also an usefull item to have around. Just an idea!

Manuel

Comment

• adrianbs
      adrianbs commented
      Editing a comment
      Numerous kits already exist for shunters trucks including ones with poseable lids. Not really a great RTR subject as modellers are only likely to buy one and then only if GWR/WR modellers.

• adrianbs
      adrianbs commented
      Editing a comment
      Duplicated post !!??
      Last edited by adrianbs; 20 August 2017, 13:57. Reason: Duplicated post ??!!

Other than the GWRs special trucks the use of a flat wagon or brake van for track circuit activation, as a reach wagon or shunters' riding / mobile mess vehicle was a more widespread practice lasting well into the 1990s.

The BR 4-wheel conflat would use the standard 10ft wheelbase 17ft 6in chassis, so could be an economical addition to the BR wagons range. I think the BR single bolster wagons were the short frame (16ft 6in) chassis.
    A BR standard brake van might be nice....

Note, the 08s had pockets and clips fitted for stowing shunting poles and wide front steps for the shunter to ride on the loco, so the ex-GW shunters trucks in yards were really redundant with 08s.
    Coupling poles - I prefer a hook type, can be fashioned from brass wire fitted into a paint brush handle, or there's a dental pick tool which works well, when I find them on the Squires stall.

Ian.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
      Joel Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      I like he idea of the conflat, thank you.
Working...
X