This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O Gauge 10ft Chassis wagons Opening post:

These are progressing quickly towards decoration. E.P.s have been received and approved and artwork is currently being prepared.
    Detailed discussions can be held under the section for each type of wagon, I have posted photographs of the 1st EP below for reference. Worthy of note is the positionable tarpaulin support on the open wagon and the positionable brake lever.
    The wagons run nicely, the die-cast chassis providing a rigid, weighty base and we have increased the weight of the coupling hook spring.
    Dapol O gauge 4 vent 10' chassis box van Dapol O gauge 2 panel 10' chassis box van Dapol O gauge 3 panel 10' chassis box va
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Very promising. Looking forward to getting my hands on several of these!

Comment

Hi, We are preparing the artwork now for the first models which will include the diagram 039 and 044 opens vacuum and non vacuum braked plus the diagram 208 planked van and 213 plywood van

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Dapol View Post
        Worthy of note is the positionable tarpaulin support on the open wagon and the positionable brake lever.
        Excellent job, that´s exactly what I´m looking for in O Gauge! Even so I personally miss opening doors like the POs have. Nevertheless can´t wait to see the first painted samples!

Comment

Will these be SR livery

Comment

• Richard Dapol
            Richard Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            This first series of 10'-0"; wheelbase wagons are based on early British Railways diagrams so will be decorated with a B prefix. It is our intention to provide similar wagons of the Big Four including the standard SR van which will be decorated in SR livery
            Last edited by Richard Dapol; 18th June 2016, 13:16. Reason: spelling

Whats the timescale for SR livery

Comment

• Richard Dapol
            Richard Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Graham,
            As I stated in the previous post the latest new wagons and vans are based on B.R. prototypes, the big four wagons will be a later project, no timescale at present

Hi Folks Not quite sure what the open with the M prefix to the number is intended to be. That running number is from LMS diagram 2150 and these wagons were rather different to the Diagram 1/044 wagon which it is a model of. They are structurally different to diagrams 1/044 or 1/039 in various ways and cannot be easily modified to represent them. Some retailer listings are incorrect as the open with Tarpaulin bar is Diagram 1/039 but the other two unfitted opens are diagram 1/044 without a tarpaulin bar. However there were some wagons which gained tarpaulin bars in later life and some which lost them, often leaving just the curved guide.

Comment

Very puzzled by the strange Vacuum brake gear on these BR wagons. Photos, drawings etc show no evidence of the vacuum cylinder positioned so close to the cross shaft, nor the use of the extraordinary linkage between it and the cross shaft. The normal position for the cylinder trunnion centre line was 18" from the centreline of the wagon with the trunnion fixed to the rear of the solebar and the cylinder about 2" further inboard.
            The operating crank was a far simpler device enabling handbrake and vacuum brake to operate independently. Apart from the longitudinal positioning of the cylinder being incorrect it is clearly too far inboard, indeed, because the vee hangers are cranked inwards below the bottom of the solebar the trunnion face is actually outboard of the vee hanger.
            I do hope these components can be easily removed and the cylinder moved to the correct position and a new crank fitted.

Comment

Looking really very nice, and the positionable features add to the "play value"...............as mentioned above though wouldn't it be great if the doors could be opened also.........maybe next time?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                Joel Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the suggestion, we will look into it and investigate if enough folk want the feature.

• Boxbrownie
                Boxbrownie commented
                Editing a comment
                A poll on the G0G site might be a good idea........even in here but a very limited membership I fear.

• Joel Dapol
                Joel Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, I would be interested to hear members views. The challenge will be robustness though with a prototypical look at the right cost.

Opening Doors, excellent idea and to avoid the "Hand of God" regularly descending from the sky they could be operated on DCC using a small servo or even on analogue provided that section of goods yard was only accessible to wagons. I kid you not, I did something similar over 40 years ago and today it would be much easier to do than it was then. Think Dapol operating signals !! The only problem in this cost conscious world might be the price, but you will probably only need the one.

Comment

Originally posted by adrianbs View Post
                Opening Doors, excellent idea and to avoid the "Hand of God" regularly descending from the sky they could be operated on DCC using a small servo or even on analogue provided that section of goods yard was only accessible to wagons. I kid you not, I did something similar over 40 years ago and today it would be much easier to do than it was then. Think Dapol operating signals !! The only problem in this cost conscious world might be the price, but you will probably only need the one.
                For the sake of saving cost I am happy to be the "hand of God" .............as JB said previously even an extra snap in/off set of open doors would be good for posing whilst in sidings etc, although proper hinged/sliding (as on the open wagons) would be the icing on the cake.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                  JeremiahBunyan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I completely forgot doors on wagons also have hinges and don't always slide...Silly me! Even in that case simple hinges can be made and I still don't see production costs going up as such.

It is not that difficult to "DIY" open doors although it does need a sacrificial body to make a good job. Wait a while till a suitable cheap ebay looky likey comes along and do a bit of "Real modelling" Kids of 12 and over used to be able to make a reasonable job of hacking about Airfix kits in my day and most attempts at RTR with opening doors have left a lot to be desired either on appearance or robustness.

Comment

Yes when a kid I used to hack about Airfix kits to modify them into all sorts of different types (aircraft mainly) but nowadays I am afraid because of age and arthritis "hacking about" is a painful and very tedious process, long live RTR I say.........or I'd be very limited as to what I can run.

Comment

Have you got any spare buffers for these

Comment

Thanks will do

Comment

Working...
                    X