This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O Class 08 Opening Statement

The 08 Shunter is now in production and will be arriving with us shortly.

Features and Benefits:
    • Die Cast Running plate
    • Compensated Die Cast Chassis
    • Die Cast and Profiled wheels
    • High Level of separately applied detail
    • Directional lighting
    • Shunting lamp (DCC Only)
    • Cab Lighting
    • Sprung Metal Buffers
    • Articulated Screw Coupling
    • Functioning cab doors
    • DCC Ready (21 Pin)
    • DCC Fitted and DCC Fitted sound options available
    • Un-numbered versions available so you can model your local locomotive

Planned Livery Options
    Last edited by Andy Dapol; 6 June 2016, 11:08. Reason: Thread title: Added Gauge & loco class
    Regards
    Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Hi Neil,

Hoping you'll can help me out with this. When the model was first announced, I distinctly remember seeing an EWS one. Has that been dropped? Planned for a future release?
    Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

• Joel Dapol
      Joel Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      We have not announced an EWS version yet, but I have no doubt it will be made in the future as the tooling allows most types and variants to be made.
      Last edited by Joel Dapol; 15 June 2016, 09:07. Reason: Spelling

Hi Jeremiah,
    I am the product development manager. As you can imagine the class 08 diesel is a minefield of detail differences so we decided to start at the beginning with the first series of locomotives depicting the original build with long hood hinges and only vacuum braked, this ensured that we could use basically one set of parts, but cover the most popular post war period of the 1950s through to 1960s. Future models will include the later builds of pressed steel doors and steel cab doors. Chassis details will also include air braking equipment, so we can decorate an EWS version.

Comment

It's a great looking model from what i've seen and I just have one question, wIll the un-numbered blue version be released at the same time as the numbered versions or since it was announced late will it come after the others?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
        Joel Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        They will be released at the same time

• 37081lochlong
        37081lochlong commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Joel, I now know which one to go and pre-order

Originally posted by Richard Dapol View Post
      Hi Jeremiah,
      I am the product development manager. As you can imagine the class 08 diesel is a minefield of detail differences so we decided to start at the beginning with the first series of locomotives depicting the original build with long hood hinges and only vacuum braked, this ensured that we could use basically one set of parts, but cover the most popular post war period of the 1950s through to 1960s. Future models will include the later builds of pressed steel doors and steel cab doors. Chassis details will also include air braking equipment, so we can decorate an EWS version.
      We have not announced an EWS version yet, but I have no doubt it will be made in the future as the tooling allows most types and variants to be made.
      Thanks Joel and Richard... I'll hold on for an EWS version!
      Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

It has been mooted/proven on a number of forums that the research for Dapols latest 08 model is lacking. I myself noted a number of errors, not least of all major livery errors (also noted on a popular internet forum) and took the opportunity to discuss this with your managing director, Richard Webster at the recent Telford exhibition.
        Richard informed me that the model was in production and would not now be changed from the approved design. Given that the sample had obvious errors can you please explain why you have willfully put into production a known inaccurate model, which must result in cancelled orders?

Comment

• Andy Dapol
          Andy Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for your posting. I'd like to start by correcting a couple of points:
          1) Richard is Dapols Project Development Manager, Joel Bright is our MD. Richard is not a director of the company.
          2) Until a model is in the shops it is not final, When samples are shown, errors will be present (see further explanation below).
          3) The model is currently in production and (at the time of writing) is about 8 weeks from arrival,

To explain further; the models on show were all pre-production samples, not production samples (i.e. samples of production items) and yes, the model will not be changed from the approved version, BUT the Telford sample was not the approved sample and did contain errors. This may seem to be splitting hairs, but is very important as you have drawn the conclusion that incorrect features of the sample have been put into production. I assure you this is not the case and a number of corrections have been made.

Dapols policy is to share the development of our models 'warts and all' as we progress through to production. (We created the Dapol Digest around this concept, to enable open 2-way feedback).

With 08 202 the corrections were discussed directly with the factory during one of our regular visits, therefore the time involved (about 2 months) to re-sampling was saved. I hope you will understand that saving a further 2 month delay was a consideration worth making. This does mean that mis-understandings can potentially occur, as, until we receive the production sample the model we are able to display is not the final version. I am sure that Richard would have mentioned this during your conversation, although if it was busy and your exchange was more of quick questions perhaps this nuance was not noted?

Perhaps you could list the errors you have spotted?

• 08guy
          08guy commented
          Editing a comment
          Black radiator grill - Never happened
          Black roof - never happened on 80202
          Red con-rods with yellow buffers - again, never happened.

All easy to spot if your research was good

• Andy Dapol
          Andy Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Please see post #7 below for a detailed reply.

08guy I've responded as a separate post so I can attach a picture:
        Black radiator grill - Never happened
        True, at least as 80202 is concerned, however variations of this do exist within the current production, hence the error - this is corrected for production.

Black roof - never happened on 80202]
        Please refer to the photo

Red con-rods with yellow buffers - again, never happened.
        Again, please refer to the photo.

One other thing which you will possibly spot from the photo (though rather dirty), is that the sample of 08202 that you saw at Telford has all 4 black stripes wrapped around to the side of the hood. In fact the top two stripes did not wrap, the area being plain yellow - this is was also corrected for production.
        The 08 series is quite a minefield, one thing we can be sure of is that almost every permutation did occur, somewhere!
        I trust this helps put your mind at rest regarding authenticity and research? I also hope that you will agree that the choice of what would appear to be well documented, but little known details with the liveries makes the model more interesting?
        Last edited by Andy Dapol; 8 September 2016, 16:11.
        Regards
        Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Hi Andy,
          so many thanks for your above responses and photo to 08guy...it does help clear up some confusion. The RMweb mob can be particularly 'rabid' at times...

The model at Telford looked smashing and I'm so looking forward to receiving mine.

I have a question concerning D3219 'Green with Wasp stripes', which I have on order with Hattons, and would like some confirmation about the illustration in your Post #1 showing the whole of the top of the loco being grey.

I am hoping you can confirm that this is simply an illustration error, and that the actual model will only have a grey roof? - exactly like the illustration shows in the limited edition model for DCC Supplies

best regards
          Nick

Comment

Hi Nickodeemus.
            Actually, the artwork only appears to show a grey roof.
            I'll explain: If you look at the key box (top right of the drawing) and squint a bit, you'll see that there are two shades of grey colour patches (B= Dark Grey and F = Light Grey), (this can sometimes be tricky to see on some monitors.)
            The description next to the colour patch states the designation of the colour and its RAL (or other) reference.
            Looking at the drawing with this knowledge, you'll now see that the 'Grey' roof is code 'B' (the dark grey) which represents black. The reason for this, other than us being obtuse, is simply that it allows the black panel lines to show correctly over the 'black' areas which otherwise would be lost to view.

Anticipating your next question, here's a photo

I hope you enjoy your model!
            One of the great things about this model is the wealth of prototypes to choose from, we will issue a set of models each year and will eventually cover most if not all. We're very happy to receive suggestions and we'll do our best to model them.
            Regards
            Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• Gronk
              Gronk commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Andy, just seen your clarification of BR green colour scheme and it's just sunk in that top of bonnet is not green but black. Is this really the case as all the Images I have seen including models from other manufacturer's are always green. Could you clarify please as perhaps I am wrong? I really do hope it's not black it will be so dissapointing if it is.

• Andy Dapol
              Andy Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Oops, Sorry Gronk, I only just saw your post. Yes, this is the case and is correct per our research and the photo above, D3219 had a Black hood top and Black roof during the period we chose to model.
              Please Check our other green model, 7D-008-001 (without black hood, without wasp stripes, Early crest) or for early crest, green hood and wasp stripes DCC Supplies: http://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-11...sp-stripes.htm

Further info below (post 11.1)

Thanks for the reply Andy,
            the illustration makes sense now! And thanks too for the photo proof!

rgds
            Nick

Comment

• Andy Dapol
              Andy Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad to be of service Nick!

Hi Andy, for clarity does that mean the main roof or bonnet will still be black as opposed to green that most were outshopped in? The early crest version is all over green. Hopefully not as I will have to reconsider my order.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
              Andy Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry if my earlier response was confusing, I'll clarify. (Please excuse capitals use for clarity, as comments do not permit italics)

The model is per the prototype (photo above) i.e. Green Body, Yellow/Black wasp striped radiator area, with black cab roof and black hood upper. You mention that you are seeking an early crest version, do you note that version (7D-008-003) is BR LATE crest ? so it may not be what you require after all?

If you are looking for EARLY crest version, then 7D-008-001 maybe more to your needs. The artwork is on this page, but for ease, it is all over green, NO wasp stripes with Black cab roof (another common variant).

For an EARLY crest WITH wasp stripes, try DCC Supplies. They have commissioned an Early Crest Green/wasp stripes with black cab roof - Due in the second container, so (at the time of writing) around 2 weeks after the 1st delivery. Further information is here: http://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-11...sp-stripes.htm

We will be producing many other liveries for a long time yet, so your 100% green will undoubtedly be produced in due course.

Hi Andy,

many thanks, it may seem petty but to help me decide whether to keep my order for an unnumbered green with wasp stripes version and to paint the bonnet green, the picture you have used for the basis of D3219 shows that it has various panel handles missing will the completed model be true to the picture or have handles as per your artwork?

Comment

• Andy Dapol
              Andy Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              The model based on D3219 is 'as constructed'. Since you're purchasing the unnumbered edition it will be possible remove detail parts and variously adjust the model to accurately suit the appearance of your prototype during exactly the time frame you have in mind.

Hi Andy any chance of giving an update on when the class 08 will be arriving in UK please?

Many thanks!

Comment

Excuse me but is there anyone from Dapol that could answer my question about when the Class 08 will be arriving in UK please?

Again many thanks.

Comment

• Neil Dapol
                Neil Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                Dapol expect them to arrive towards the end of the month, further updates will be released as firmer information is avaliable.

Hi Neil since your update 3 days ago I have heard rumours that there is another slip in programme and won't be available in October as you suggested. Can you confirm current position please as you said you would provide firmer information when avaible. If this is the case would it be possible to explaiin what the reason is please?

Many thanks.
              Last edited by Gronk; 17 October 2016, 19:54.

Comment

Working...
              X