Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul-H
    replied
    I am sure you will not regret it if you did do a re release, N-gauge is far more popular now than it used to be because of the small houses that are built nowadays so demand should be higher than it used to be and as long as you can keep your prices competitive with the other makers you would be onto a winner.

9F's are selling on eBay for nearly £200 now, so there is a market for them

Remember new modelers don't want a particular model, they just want to be able to buy something to get them started and empty N-gauge shelves in the dealers is of no use to anyone.

Leave a comment:

• Joel Dapol
    replied
    Thanks for the comments Paul-H. We are working on some N Gauge steam releases from the old ranges, Terriers, Schools, A3, A4, Panniers as well as the updated M7 some of which should be with us soon. We will also re-look at the 9F and Britannia's again, the last time we did, the currency exchange was at around £1 to US$1.23 and we felt at the prices we would have to charge to make the run viable, models would be prohibitively expensive. Now the £1: dollar rate is above £1.30 this may give us an opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• Paul-H
    replied
    I see in the Dapol shop that stocks of steam models are now down to only 3 types, by the time the BOB classes get he it might be the only N-Gauge steam model they do, would it not be a better use of funds to produce models that have already been paid for, as far as development costs are concerned, we need more Britannias, A3's, A4's, 9F's etc. letting the range dwindle to zero stock of anything else will not do the Dapol brand any good as far as new customers are concerned, who keep being told by dealers, sorry we cant get that one nor that one or anything in that section of the catalogue.

I know the new model is going to be nice and if done right the new mechanism will be miles better than the old one but not producing anything for some time does not look good.

Leave a comment:

• capri_sam
    replied
    Right, my two re-ordered!

Leave a comment:

• GerryF
    replied
    Hi,
    I, too, had my original 3 pre-orders from way back cancelled by the retailer, with the updated information I have now pre-ordered again.
    With its demise will the Dapol Collectors Club Exeter, pre-order placed in 2018, still be produced? The club closure notice email suggests to me I should be saving for 4...

Regard, Gerry.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Pinto
    replied
    Hi Joel,
    I don't think anyone would object to you prioritising projects that seem most likely to deliver a good ROI. I am just concerned that potential customers are not placing pre-orders because they are not aware of that fact.
    All the existing pre-orders for the previous version were cancelled and I think people are waiting to hear from you.
    ​​​​​​May I suggest something to get the project moving again? Maybe a press release in the modelling magazines displaying the latest CADS and announcing that the project is ready to move forward subject to expressions of interest.

Leave a comment:

• Joel Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    Hello Matt. I would order as normal, through your preferred stockist. It works the same for all our projects that the ones with highest sales demand tend to get more priority. I know it can be frustrating but if our resources are finite and we must use them to try to maximise our revenues, especially in these challenging times.

• Matt Pinto
    replied
    OK, so where do I need to register or pre-order for my order to "count" towards progressing the Light Pacifics? Do I need to pre-order from you directly, from a major box-shifter or from the local model shop?

I think that many potential customers are unaware that this project is waiting on interest from them. I have been interested in at least one light Pacific since the project was first announced nearly 10 years ago. If even I was unaware that progress was dependent on uptake, I wonder how many other customers are simply waiting for further announcements, unaware that you are waiting for them?

Leave a comment:

• doug22150
    replied
    Given that these will be wired for Next 18 decoders, it would be a real bonus of the decoder socket could be wired for "Stay-Alive". I'm steadily adding this to my whole N Gauge fleet. Using 2x470 microFarad Tantalum capacitors in each loco. really transforms slow running. I understand that, unlike "6 pin" decoders where the stay-alive is connected to solder pads on the decoders themselves, with Next 18 it has to be connected to the socket and not the decoder. The connection pins on those really are so small as to make that an impossible task for us "senior" modellers!

Leave a comment:

• doug22150
    replied
    Thanks for that reassurance Joel. I do appreciate that your first priority is developing Dapol's business and that you need to be certain of profitability before committing resources. Certainly, if the end result equals the high standards being set by other Dapol products, it will have been worth waiting for: I just hope that I'll still be here! I hadn't appreciated the importance that is attached to advance orders and will rectify that now.

Leave a comment:

• Joel Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    Hello Matt, the only thing I would say to this is that generally you get the largest chunk of your pre-orders early on in the process. Our class 50 is a prime example where 80% of final orders came in the first three works of re-announcement and this had a long development time. I know we have not helped ourselves with this project, however our resources and time have gone to projects which give us a more immediate and guaranteed return. I do not think we as a business are unique in this.

• Joel Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    I agree with your comments entirely and is the main reason we have not cancelled, however it still remains that sales from our Stockists are not great (unlike the Class 50 for example) and why it is taking time to develop. I am really sorry about this and hope that when we do show something you will think it worthwhile

• capri_sam
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Joel, I appreciate the reply and fully understand your position. I'm happily waiting and know it'll be a great model when it's released - any pushiness is solely grounded in not wanting the project to go the same way as the Garrett, which I would love to have seen. I'm excited to hear more as and when you have it, and am confident that you'll get the interest with the CAD release as and when it's ready!

As a side note - it appears all the pre-order options are for sound-fitted models. Would it be possible/helpful to add non-DCC or sound pre-order options?

• doug22150
    replied
    As a late 1950s trainspotter and a daily college commuter on the Southern in the 1960s, it was the Bulleid pacifics in all their forms (but especially the "modifieds") that are engrained in my memory. When I started modelling the Southern in N Gauge in 2015, the excellent Dapol Q1s were available and I was keenly anticipating the arrival of the Bulleid "lightweight" pacifics. 5 years on, they are still no closer and I have populated my layout instead with 5 Farish original Merchant Navies and 5 of their Poole-era modified Merchant Navies. Sadly, I am now wondering if I will live long enough to ever enjoy a more balanced fleet of Southern motive power.

I agree with Matt that the Bulleid "lightweights" were totally ubiquitous and could be seen pulling anything from a single coach on the Padstow branch to a 12 coach ACE storming Honiton bank. That is why they appeal to so many modellers.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Pinto
    replied
    I do feel that the long gestation has harmed interest in pre-orders rather than in the model itself. I pre-ordered "Spitfire" back in 2012 when this was first on the drawing board. Then it was scrapped and re-announced. I am still interested in buying one when they come out but IMO, cancelling and then re-announcing a model harms confidence in pre-orders. Maybe this is a self-fulfilling prophecy but my hunch is that if you had announced this prototype today, without any of the previous 8+ years of delay, you would be getting plenty of interest.

The Southern has a lot of interest as demonstrated by the fact that both and Farish have had sufficient demand to introduce alternative patterns of your Maunsell and Bulleid coaches respectively but the SR is probably in the curious position where there is plenty of pre-nat rolling stock but less in the way of locos to haul it. The Light Pacifics were probably the most common mixed-traffic locos across the SR by BR days and have a big go-anywhere-do-anything appeal that is not matched by the heavy Pacifics or by the pre-grouping locos on offer.

I stand by my feelings that I still want a light Pacific but I want to see a bit more progress on the project before I actually commit to a pre-order. The ball is in Dapol's court at the moment. I realise tooling is very expensive but how about some CAD images to show the progress that has been made and how your work has improved on those released in 2012?
    Last edited by Matt Pinto; 9 November 2020, 13:00.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X