Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CeeDee
    replied
    Any news on the BoBs and WC class locos yet? A progress report perhaps...if possible. It would be appreciated.
    Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• Paul Wernham
    replied
    Hi Joel and Andy. Just joined up. Really pleased about your development of the Bullied pacifics and your new drive mechanisms. I will definitely want at least two. Take as long as you need to get it right!! Really well done!

Leave a comment:

• Chris Lane
    replied
    Hi Joel and Andy,

Thank you for the recent comments, I'm sure these have gone down well. It is nice to see regular comments/updates by you guys. This also most welcome by us modellers and also the wallet!

Please keep up the good work.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Andy Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    Not years John, I appreciate your frustration and we have been/are working on this mech. in the 'background' and as it will be the basis for all new designs going forwards we want it to be right. The entire drive train is being specified and designed from the ground up and will use some new techniques not before used in a model locomotive.
    Just to give you an idea of the level we are starting from, I have been working directly with a company who design and produce motors, the custom motor will address the many issues of regular coreless motors (i.e. dislike of DCC, feedback controllers etc. etc.). There are many other areas being worked on which will produce not only a great model, but set the bar for performance. - all this takes time, testing and engineering; I don't want to rush to announce before we have completed our design and evaluation.

• JRS747
    replied
    Hattons say they are expecting the new models in November or December (yes 2016). As they have seem to have completely disappeared from the Dapol website I presume that this "information" is well out of date.
    Are we talking years before we see them?

John

Leave a comment:

• LeftToMyOwnDevices
    commented on 's reply
    Joel,

I would happily agree with TomE. I have 34052 ‘Lord Dowding’ on Pre-order (purely for sentimental reasons: I feel I owe my freedom to Lord Dowding; if you have seen the movie ‘Battle of Britain’, you might know what I mean).

Having placed the pre-order, I was extremely worried that it might be tender-drive… Eeek…!

Glad to know that will be loco-drive – but I am very patient to wait until you have your new coreless motor (loco driven?) working to everyone’s satisfaction.

Charles.

• TomE
    commented on 's reply
    Andy Dapol Elvinley The satin effect BR green used by Farish does appear more or less spot on to my eyes, and I hate to say it on your own forum but the matt effect BR green used by Dapol historically has always looked somewhat washed out, or faded in comparison. When I put my Dapol Britannia next to a Farish Std 5, the colour is worlds apart, so it would be nice to see some improvement in this area.

There were some CAD images circulating for the West Country / BoB a while back, will they be re-issued for comment on the re-designed model when appropriate?

Tom.

• Elvinley
    commented on 's reply
    Andy Dapol That is very much appreciated. I recently had a problem with a Western that was dealt with by Joel which was due to component failure. I think if these mechanical issues are resolved along with better QC then things will be moving in a very positive upwards direction. As for finish, the Farish BR green is a very deep colour with a slight shine and is very effective. The more matte effect of their recent Royal Scot in maroon is less effective. From my view, Dapol has been more successful in getting a good finish on their N diesels than steam. Not sure why this is.

• Andy Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    TomE, Hi Tom, the subject of rods and motion is something that we are reviewing as art of the 'new' design. Personally speaking, I prefer an etched rather than pressed/punched rod (which is how the heavier rodding on the American model was produced) and there is definitely a sweet spot between [scale] accuracy, overall bulk and the ability to withstand a bit of rough and tumble. This is the point we aim to reach.
    Paint is another interesting issue and again, quite a personal choice on a model. What does look poor is flaky paint or a mismatched finish on the rivets - something also being taken into account.

Elvinley Hi, I think you simply have a faulty motor, we identified a problem about 4 years back which would cause some motors to run hot. We changed the assembly process accordingly. If you PM me I can arrange either to send you a motor or to have the model booked in for a motor exchange.
    Last edited by Andy Dapol; 22 July 2016, 09:50. Reason: added motor comments

• TomE
    commented on 's reply
    Haha, hopefully not! I've had 12 Farish Mk.1s behind the Farish Merchant Navy, which doesn't have traction tyres, and it walked away with them, so I do not believe they are necessary on larger engines where more weight can be accommodated if designed well. The only thing they are good for is spreading filth around the layout and causing uneven running if they become stretched for any reason.

• newportnobby
    commented on 's reply
    Prototypical built in slipping then, Tom?

• TomE
    commented on 's reply
    I'd like to see Dapol move away from painted valve gear to something similar to the method Farish use. Chemically blackened metal will always look considerably better than painted.

The one thing I would ask, is no traction tyres, pleeeeeease. In a model this size it should be possible to squeeze in enough weight to retain sufficient traction without the need for these dirt spreading nightmares!

Tom.

• Elvinley
    replied
    Would it be possible to take this opportunity to strengthen the valve gear on this loco so that it isn't so prone to damage? I hope the new motor will be one that doesn't overheat like the old one. I am still getting problems with this on my locos. Today my Silver Link was removed from the layout and I nearly burnt my fingers. Another weak point on Dapol steam is the wire connections between loco and tender. I don't think these issues are beyond the possibility of being resolved.

Leave a comment:

• Bob G
    commented on 's reply
    Dapol tried providing rub down transfers on one of the class 73 electro diesels in large logo livery. It was not a success. I don't think most buyers want the hassle, or are afraid they wont get it to look as good as the factory printed version.
    Bob

• Ed-Farms
    replied
    I will be looking forward to seeing this model, always had a soft spot for spam cans and will certaiinly buy at least one

Leave a comment:

Working...
X