Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elvinley
    replied
    Being as we only have 2 main manufacturers of N gauge in this country that provide locos, wagons, coaches, sets etc, it is very disappointing for N gauge modellers when one stops moving forward with new products. Things have slowed down dramatically for the past few years now and to be perfectly honest, this isn't a huge surprise. We understand OO is more profitable but there are already so many manufacturers. In N gauge we don't have that luxury, so understandably there are a lot of frustrated people. All this time, the N gauge crowd has put up with some iffy quality control from both makers and still kept buying the goods hoping for the best. If you love railways in this country and you love N gauge, what choice do you have? We would love to see the quality that is almost assured from continental manufacturers (and the prices are getting closer and closer all the time), but only a few items have truly got to that stage, and that is if you get a good one from the batch. Time and again I have purchased / returned loco after loco to find one that works as well as it should, again from both manufacturers. Small adjustments are often required straight from the box.

I think the majority of modellers would rather have had a tender housed motor and cardan shaft BoB / West Country than none at all. In my experience with two NQP examples, the Schools runs better than a lot of locos of this type and I'm sure a light pacific could have been to this standard. More weight in the tender to improve pickup and lessen the vibrations would have worked wonders, along with sturdier valve gear and wires that permanently link loco and tender rather than flimsy ones that break. Less grease to get in and insulate pickup type bearings would also help.

Many people seem to think N gauge is growing, but it won't without really good products to move it forward.

Leave a comment:

• newportnobby
    replied
    I'm quite sure I am far from being the only one bitterly disappointed that 6 years down the line the Bulleid light pacifics have, to all intents and purposes, bitten the dust. As soon as the facility was available I pre ordered one, being desperate to own a decent BoB Spam Can. Well, Dapol, I've cancelled the pre order and will take delivery of the Farish Merchant Navy tomorrow

Leave a comment:

• RailGooner
    replied
    'LIKE' comment #21.2 by TomE and comment #21.3 by Richard Dallimore.

I conclude that we are witnessing the end of N products from Dapol. And anybody who wants to conclude otherwise is free to do so. But anybody who wants to tell me I too would be better concluding otherwise, can do one.

I tried to focus on the positives in Joel's statement when I first read it. But with every reread, I see more and more gloom for N. And with every reread, the writing between the lines becomes clearer and clearer. Dapol are dumping N. We'll see re-liveries of existing product to maximize profit from the tooling, before they flog off the tooling.

Leave a comment:

• Richard Dallimore
    commented on 's reply
    I would agree blaming brexit is weak this could or should have been tooled 4 years ago along with the class 50, call it as it is cancellation of these projects.

• TomE
    commented on 's reply
    I'm sorry, but the time for understanding is long over. Dapol announced this model in 2011, 6 years ago! Since then all they've done is string us along with tidbits of information and promises of new and improved designs which we've never seen any evidence of. Blaming Brexit is simply a glib excuse, and it would be better for everyone if they just came out and cancelled it outright now so another company that is actually willing to see the model through to production can do so.

Dapol's credibility with N Gauge modellers has just fallen through the floor faster than Sterling.

• JeremiahBunyan
    commented on 's reply
    Best not to jump to conclusions about a cancellation and better to be more understanding, afterall Dapol don't own a bank...

• TomE
    replied
    Have to say Dapol, hugely disappointed by the news that the BoB & West Country are now indefinitely delayed (effectively cancelled?)

Tom.

Leave a comment:

• JeremiahBunyan
    commented on 's reply
    I doubt they have. With current scenarios it's only obvious to have a few delays. I'm sure that when it's out it'll be a wonderful model.

• CeeDee
    commented on 's reply
    It's true...perhaps Dapol have given up completely with the BoB WC project. I do hope not as I still expect to purchase at least five of these promised beauties......

• RailGooner
    replied
    4th.

Yawn.

Looking past commissioned models - Gaugemaster Class 73, Project Railway Honour Class 66 - one could be forgiven for thinking that Dapol have forgotten about N.
    Last edited by RailGooner; 10 March 2017, 18:15.

Leave a comment:

• CeeDee
    replied
    Third it!!

Leave a comment:

• JeremiahBunyan
    commented on 's reply
    Second that!

• Zaphras
    replied
    Hi Andy.
    It's been a while since there has been any update on the progress of. these models - in fact, I think it was probably at the Club day in September when we were told that you were designing your own coreless motor to achieve the characteristics you wanted. The excellent Schools (I have 3) and Crompton have whetted my appetite for these so some indication of where things stand would be appreciated by me and, I'm sure, the other Southern modellers out there.

Thanks

Martin

Leave a comment:

• Bob G
    replied
    I feel the need to write something here as I am needing a southern fix. Perhaps if the BB is not ready we could have another run of Schools perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• CeeDee
    replied
    Any news on the BoBs and WC class locos yet? A progress report perhaps...if possible. It would be appreciated.
    Cheers!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X