No announcement yet.

N West Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If this project was on track for the indicated early 2020 release then one might expect to be seeing EPs by now. Could you update us on progress please?

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
      JeremiahBunyan commented
      Editing a comment
      Let's wait until Warley! They might just have something to show there...

Any update on these yet.

thanks

Comment

Very quiet around here isn't it

Watch out for the tumbleweed blowing around

Comment

So according to the members news its only just going to CAD so sounds like its firmly in reverse, what ever happened to the expected EP mentioned a year ago

Comment

4½ years since the OP and still nothing. I'm starting to think I just imagined the whole thing

Comment

• Joel Dapol
            Joel Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            I know it must be frustrating, but the simple facts are that orders have not been brilliant and it does represent a significant investment. I guess we could cancel it and put some certainty into the project, but we really do not want to do that and we all hope at Dapol, that when we do show something then orders will improve. The problem is this is a risky strategy, especially when there are more `sure fire' projects to do. All we would respectfully say, is please have a little more patience with us and we hope to have something to show early in 2021. My apologies once again.

Hi Joel, with respect to your comment above, I personally had no idea that the progress of the project was dependant on pre-orders. I've not placed one yet as a lack of certainty to a release date means I can't budget for it.

Honestly, I think a lot of people are either holding back for more information, or don't know about the pre-order situation as this isn't something Dapol have widely done before (made a project dependent on pre-orders) except with the HST-P and this isn't clear on any websites - including the dapol one. There's been nothing on the front page about it for years.

For those who did have pre-orders for the 'old' model, those were often cancelled when the project was paused the last time.

I think with some proper marketing push, a statement saying that the project is pre-order dependent, a realistic release date, and a look at the CADs, the interest will be there. They are such an iconic loco across the eras.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
            Joel Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello Capri-Sun, I did not say it was dependent on pre-orders but the relative low level of pre-orders does affect the speed of the development. I hope this is understandable from a financial standpoint. In fact, I did say when we have something to show, that I hope that this will stimulate the sales, which affirms our desire to continue with this. We are currently working on this project, but unfortunately, it is not top priority, which sadly means when problems occur (other project issues, staff sickness etc...) this tends to extend development of the BOB. We do hope to have something to show soon, but I am not able to give exact timescales, I know I am asking a lot of peoples patience and do appreciate this immensely when given.

• capri_sam
            capri_sam commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Joel, I appreciate the reply and fully understand your position. I'm happily waiting and know it'll be a great model when it's released - any pushiness is solely grounded in not wanting the project to go the same way as the Garrett, which I would love to have seen. I'm excited to hear more as and when you have it, and am confident that you'll get the interest with the CAD release as and when it's ready!

As a side note - it appears all the pre-order options are for sound-fitted models. Would it be possible/helpful to add non-DCC or sound pre-order options?

Hi Joel

My experience with long drawn out projects are that they never quite as good when they deliver as they promised when they were launched. The Pacer is a good example of this.
          On the other hand, Dapol can produce excellent models when they want to (class 68, class 50...)
          With this project we have had a poor drive system, cancellation of the rebuilt version, and endless delays.
          Its a simple tin can on wheels. You are bound to have nay sayers if you can't get that right.

I'm a southern modeller. I want at least four air smoothed and four rebuilt versions, but I have the same number of old Farish models upgraded where possible to look reasonable pro tem.
          I just can't get excited when there is so much delay, and to blame us the punters for not pre-ordering when there is no market place to do so is the most bizarre thing I've heard in a long time.

Please don't announce anything I want any more as it will stop entrepreneurs such as Sonic from contemplating making it.

Bob

Comment

• Joel Dapol
            Joel Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello Bob,

I am afraid on this we are going to have to agree to differ on this. My main responsibility is to keep Dapol financially strong and the livelihood of 30 people as safe and secure as I can. If sales of a particular model may not justify the outlay, surely it is the responsible thing to edge on the side of caution rather than plough ahead and invest a six figure sum, on the believe that, `if you build it, they shall come'. Cheaper tooling from the Far east is now a thing of the past and moreover, in my experience pre-order sales are a really good indicator on how sales will project. If you believe we are unique in this then I would point you to other companies and models such as the N gauge J72, Class 21/29, beyer garratt. I also think insinuating we are not entrepreneurial is a little insulting and comparing us to a company that have AFAIK not released a locomotive yet (the one in development looks great admittedly) is a little unfair.

The one thing I do agree with you though is that we shall cease to announce models until development is quite advanced, but this also does have its drawbacks....

I do feel that the long gestation has harmed interest in pre-orders rather than in the model itself. I pre-ordered "Spitfire" back in 2012 when this was first on the drawing board. Then it was scrapped and re-announced. I am still interested in buying one when they come out but IMO, cancelling and then re-announcing a model harms confidence in pre-orders. Maybe this is a self-fulfilling prophecy but my hunch is that if you had announced this prototype today, without any of the previous 8+ years of delay, you would be getting plenty of interest.

The Southern has a lot of interest as demonstrated by the fact that both and Farish have had sufficient demand to introduce alternative patterns of your Maunsell and Bulleid coaches respectively but the SR is probably in the curious position where there is plenty of pre-nat rolling stock but less in the way of locos to haul it. The Light Pacifics were probably the most common mixed-traffic locos across the SR by BR days and have a big go-anywhere-do-anything appeal that is not matched by the heavy Pacifics or by the pre-grouping locos on offer.

I stand by my feelings that I still want a light Pacific but I want to see a bit more progress on the project before I actually commit to a pre-order. The ball is in Dapol's court at the moment. I realise tooling is very expensive but how about some CAD images to show the progress that has been made and how your work has improved on those released in 2012?
          Last edited by Matt Pinto; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
            Joel Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello Matt, the only thing I would say to this is that generally you get the largest chunk of your pre-orders early on in the process. Our class 50 is a prime example where 80% of final orders came in the first three works of re-announcement and this had a long development time. I know we have not helped ourselves with this project, however our resources and time have gone to projects which give us a more immediate and guaranteed return. I do not think we as a business are unique in this.

As a late 1950s trainspotter and a daily college commuter on the Southern in the 1960s, it was the Bulleid pacifics in all their forms (but especially the "modifieds") that are engrained in my memory. When I started modelling the Southern in N Gauge in 2015, the excellent Dapol Q1s were available and I was keenly anticipating the arrival of the Bulleid "lightweight" pacifics. 5 years on, they are still no closer and I have populated my layout instead with 5 Farish original Merchant Navies and 5 of their Poole-era modified Merchant Navies. Sadly, I am now wondering if I will live long enough to ever enjoy a more balanced fleet of Southern motive power.

I agree with Matt that the Bulleid "lightweights" were totally ubiquitous and could be seen pulling anything from a single coach on the Padstow branch to a 12 coach ACE storming Honiton bank. That is why they appeal to so many modellers.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
            Joel Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with your comments entirely and is the main reason we have not cancelled, however it still remains that sales from our Stockists are not great (unlike the Class 50 for example) and why it is taking time to develop. I am really sorry about this and hope that when we do show something you will think it worthwhile

Thanks for that reassurance Joel. I do appreciate that your first priority is developing Dapol's business and that you need to be certain of profitability before committing resources. Certainly, if the end result equals the high standards being set by other Dapol products, it will have been worth waiting for: I just hope that I'll still be here! I hadn't appreciated the importance that is attached to advance orders and will rectify that now.

Comment

Given that these will be wired for Next 18 decoders, it would be a real bonus of the decoder socket could be wired for "Stay-Alive". I'm steadily adding this to my whole N Gauge fleet. Using 2x470 microFarad Tantalum capacitors in each loco. really transforms slow running. I understand that, unlike "6 pin" decoders where the stay-alive is connected to solder pads on the decoders themselves, with Next 18 it has to be connected to the socket and not the decoder. The connection pins on those really are so small as to make that an impossible task for us "senior" modellers!

Comment

OK, so where do I need to register or pre-order for my order to "count" towards progressing the Light Pacifics? Do I need to pre-order from you directly, from a major box-shifter or from the local model shop?

I think that many potential customers are unaware that this project is waiting on interest from them. I have been interested in at least one light Pacific since the project was first announced nearly 10 years ago. If even I was unaware that progress was dependent on uptake, I wonder how many other customers are simply waiting for further announcements, unaware that you are waiting for them?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                Joel Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello Matt. I would order as normal, through your preferred stockist. It works the same for all our projects that the ones with highest sales demand tend to get more priority. I know it can be frustrating but if our resources are finite and we must use them to try to maximise our revenues, especially in these challenging times.

Hi Joel,
              I don't think anyone would object to you prioritising projects that seem most likely to deliver a good ROI. I am just concerned that potential customers are not placing pre-orders because they are not aware of that fact.
              All the existing pre-orders for the previous version were cancelled and I think people are waiting to hear from you.
              ​​​​​​May I suggest something to get the project moving again? Maybe a press release in the modelling magazines displaying the latest CADS and announcing that the project is ready to move forward subject to expressions of interest.

Comment

Hi,
                I, too, had my original 3 pre-orders from way back cancelled by the retailer, with the updated information I have now pre-ordered again.
                With its demise will the Dapol Collectors Club Exeter, pre-order placed in 2018, still be produced? The club closure notice email suggests to me I should be saving for 4...

Regard, Gerry.

Comment

Working...
                X