No announcement yet.

N West Country

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having just posted a comment on the Crowdfunding section of N Gauge forum, the response is quite emphatic...there's a lot of people out there prepared to put their hand in their pocket to fund a BoB / WC project. How about it Dapol? Your customers are waiting!!

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
      JeremiahBunyan commented
      Editing a comment
      Crowdfunding is something that I've suggested to Dapol on quite a few occasions regarding a Class 87, Class 90 and Mk.3 Sleeper. Their response was sensible and straightforward, Dapol don't do crowdfunding because they are not comfortable asking customers for money upfront and they aren't comfortable holding onto customer's money.

Crowdfunding may seem straightforward, but it's more complex than it seems, each crowdfunding campaign has different T&C's based on the situation and environment. There's many risks involved too and recently a manufacturer had issues where many fake expressions and orders were created.

And to conclude, yes it's good to know that people are willing to crowdfund the model, but what are the numbers we're talking about here? In such a scenario one needs to sell more than 1000 models just to recoup the cost of development, are there enough of people to order 1000+ locos. 1000 is just an approximate and it could be more just to keep the RRP at a sensible level.

There's also another predicament:-
      - If Dapol were to release the BoB/WC as a general release item, Dapol can periodically release locomotives over a span of a few years and recoup their investment. This is more sensible and easier on the pocket for us modelers who keep complaining about price rises.
      - If Dapol were to release the BoB/WC as a crowdfunded model, then just to drum up lots of sales they'll have to offer as many names/numbers/variations as possible so that they maximize their sales, and the catch to that is that they'll have to only go ahead with models that have crossed the minimum batch numbers. Eg: RevolutioN are struggling to get interest for a few liveries in the Class 320/321, yet others have a lot of interest. The ones with low interest have impacted the project quite a bit.

• Crooked Spire
      Crooked Spire commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry. But a dozen or so people commenting that they like the idea of crowdfunding is hardly going to get the ball rolling.

If it somehow gets the light pacific moved onto a Dapol schedule somewhere, would it help if just 2 options were made - air smoothed and rebuilt? Customers could turn to the likes of Fox Transfers* for their individual number/name preferences thus saving stocks of the less popular ones hanging around and then being discounted.
    *Other sources of names/numbers are no doubt available

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
      JeremiahBunyan commented
      Editing a comment
      - Firstly, there's minor detail differences even between the specific body types. IIRC when the CADs were originally released the Air-Smoothed ones had 3 variants and the Rebuilt ones had 2. I could be mistaken with the numbers but I'm sure there's variants. A lot of modelers will not want to put down that amount of money for generic models. We've moved well into the era of loco-specific details. And you'll already hear people grumble about small things. And why should Dapol be known as the manufacturer of a generic product? If that was the case the model would've been out ages ago as they'd only need to invest in two sets of tools and not 5+

- Secondly, how many among us are ever ready to sit and apply numbers and nameplates? I know I am, but I've known a large number who won't be too happy to do that for various reasons ranging from the price of the product to just not being comfortable doing something like adding decals. The general consensus is that those who will most likely do the numbering are more than happy to renumber an RTR product anyway.

If it's a choice between limited variants or nothing I'll take the former. An Unrebuilt in just early and late BR green will do me just fine.

Comment

Common sense suggests that the first batch will be for a certain type from the range they can produce, then they can make the others afterwards. Look at the 33 - we are still awaiting some models from the planned list so I doubt Dapol will want to flood the market with light pacifics straight away.

Comment

Forget common sense - i had seven on pre-order, and i know most southern modellers will want more than one! They are the necessary locomotive of choice on a southern model - much more than the Merchant Navy, so if Dapol are looking at air-smoothed MN sales as a guide they should think again. Farish chose the third batch of MN to be built that was only built post war, and was rebuilt 1956-57 so a pretty short lifespan and none appeared in true Southern livery. OK they have the chassis for a rebuilt MN, but why they didnt do that model from the start i dont know.

Comment

Hear! Hear!

Comment

Rumour has it the WC/BBs are back on again!

Comment

No rumour, Facebook had pictures from the open day of the announcement, no model to see yet but it is happening

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                Joel Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, we will be making the public announcement and detailing the specification, once we get straight from the weekend.

Hope this new chassis has better pulling power than the old tender drive locos, there is nothing sadder than watching a 9F spinning it's wheels trying to pull 5 coal wagons.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                JeremiahBunyan commented
                Editing a comment
                It's going to be a die-cast model. I'll doubt it will have any issue.

My Britannia works perfectly fine, your problem with the 9F sounds like a simple issue with traction. Why not send it to get fixed?

• doug22150
                doug22150 commented
                Editing a comment
                I have 3 9Fs and they will all pull 8 coaches with ease. Here's a clip of a sound fitted one with 8 on:-

https://youtu.be/Xi6PzmgJXKY

Just wondering, if you go to Dapol's site and look under product Development N-Gauge there are 9 items listed, of those 9, 3 are shows as In Abeyance, the BOB, Class 59 and interestingly the Class 50 which as we all know is not in Abeyance. of the rest the J72 is cancelled, the 68 is on sale, the rest are in various stages of design and or construction.

It would help if they could keep their own public accessible date a little more up to date, that way there would be less room for uneducated speculation, or educated or disappointment.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                Joel Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                We thought we had disabled the old development pages, but it would,appear not, our apologies :-(

As there are now £0 pre-orders on the website is this a way to express an interest in the model of choice by 'buying' one through the checkout process?

I haven't been able to find a post or anything to indicate this is what is needed so that you know the interest level?

Comment

Joel Dapol are there not plans to recreate "Winston Churchill", surely it is the most iconic of this class?

Comment

Originally posted by baister1 View Post
                  Joel Dapol are there not plans to recreate "Winston Churchill", surely it is the most iconic of this class?
                  It would be nice if Locomotion Models would produce this one for their National Collection in Miniature Range

Comment

Originally posted by Ed-Farms View Post

It would be nice if Locomotion Models would produce this one for their National Collection in Miniature Range
                    I’m not aware of them producing any of their minatures in our scale.

Comment

Originally posted by baister1 View Post

I’m not aware of them producing any of their minatures in our scale.
                      Neither am I, but they have to start somewhere, don't think Dapol have made any for the NCiM yet either

Comment

Working...
                      X