Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joel Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    Hello Capri-Sun, I did not say it was dependent on pre-orders but the relative low level of pre-orders does affect the speed of the development. I hope this is understandable from a financial standpoint. In fact, I did say when we have something to show, that I hope that this will stimulate the sales, which affirms our desire to continue with this. We are currently working on this project, but unfortunately, it is not top priority, which sadly means when problems occur (other project issues, staff sickness etc...) this tends to extend development of the BOB. We do hope to have something to show soon, but I am not able to give exact timescales, I know I am asking a lot of peoples patience and do appreciate this immensely when given.

• Joel Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    Hello Bob,

I am afraid on this we are going to have to agree to differ on this. My main responsibility is to keep Dapol financially strong and the livelihood of 30 people as safe and secure as I can. If sales of a particular model may not justify the outlay, surely it is the responsible thing to edge on the side of caution rather than plough ahead and invest a six figure sum, on the believe that, `if you build it, they shall come'. Cheaper tooling from the Far east is now a thing of the past and moreover, in my experience pre-order sales are a really good indicator on how sales will project. If you believe we are unique in this then I would point you to other companies and models such as the N gauge J72, Class 21/29, beyer garratt. I also think insinuating we are not entrepreneurial is a little insulting and comparing us to a company that have AFAIK not released a locomotive yet (the one in development looks great admittedly) is a little unfair.

The one thing I do agree with you though is that we shall cease to announce models until development is quite advanced, but this also does have its drawbacks....

• Bob G
    replied
    Hi Joel

My experience with long drawn out projects are that they never quite as good when they deliver as they promised when they were launched. The Pacer is a good example of this.
    On the other hand, Dapol can produce excellent models when they want to (class 68, class 50...)
    With this project we have had a poor drive system, cancellation of the rebuilt version, and endless delays.
    Its a simple tin can on wheels. You are bound to have nay sayers if you can't get that right.

I'm a southern modeller. I want at least four air smoothed and four rebuilt versions, but I have the same number of old Farish models upgraded where possible to look reasonable pro tem.
    I just can't get excited when there is so much delay, and to blame us the punters for not pre-ordering when there is no market place to do so is the most bizarre thing I've heard in a long time.

Please don't announce anything I want any more as it will stop entrepreneurs such as Sonic from contemplating making it.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• capri_sam
    replied
    Hi Joel, with respect to your comment above, I personally had no idea that the progress of the project was dependant on pre-orders. I've not placed one yet as a lack of certainty to a release date means I can't budget for it.

Honestly, I think a lot of people are either holding back for more information, or don't know about the pre-order situation as this isn't something Dapol have widely done before (made a project dependent on pre-orders) except with the HST-P and this isn't clear on any websites - including the dapol one. There's been nothing on the front page about it for years.

For those who did have pre-orders for the 'old' model, those were often cancelled when the project was paused the last time.

I think with some proper marketing push, a statement saying that the project is pre-order dependent, a realistic release date, and a look at the CADs, the interest will be there. They are such an iconic loco across the eras.

Leave a comment:

• Joel Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    I know it must be frustrating, but the simple facts are that orders have not been brilliant and it does represent a significant investment. I guess we could cancel it and put some certainty into the project, but we really do not want to do that and we all hope at Dapol, that when we do show something then orders will improve. The problem is this is a risky strategy, especially when there are more `sure fire' projects to do. All we would respectfully say, is please have a little more patience with us and we hope to have something to show early in 2021. My apologies once again.

• newportnobby
    replied
    4½ years since the OP and still nothing. I'm starting to think I just imagined the whole thing

Leave a comment:

• Paul-H
    replied
    So according to the members news its only just going to CAD so sounds like its firmly in reverse, what ever happened to the expected EP mentioned a year ago

Leave a comment:

• Paul-H
    replied
    Very quiet around here isn't it

Watch out for the tumbleweed blowing around

Leave a comment:

• Jeanette-H
    replied
    Any update on these yet.

thanks

Leave a comment:

• JeremiahBunyan
    commented on 's reply
    Let's wait until Warley! They might just have something to show there...

• Longbow
    replied
    If this project was on track for the indicated early 2020 release then one might expect to be seeing EPs by now. Could you update us on progress please?

Leave a comment:

• Ed-Farms
    replied
    Originally posted by baister1 View Post

I’m not aware of them producing any of their minatures in our scale.
    Neither am I, but they have to start somewhere, don't think Dapol have made any for the NCiM yet either

Leave a comment:

• baister1
    replied
    Originally posted by Ed-Farms View Post

It would be nice if Locomotion Models would produce this one for their National Collection in Miniature Range
    I’m not aware of them producing any of their minatures in our scale.

Leave a comment:

• Ed-Farms
    replied
    Originally posted by baister1 View Post
    Joel Dapol are there not plans to recreate "Winston Churchill", surely it is the most iconic of this class?
    It would be nice if Locomotion Models would produce this one for their National Collection in Miniature Range

Leave a comment:

• baister1
    replied
    Joel Dapol are there not plans to recreate "Winston Churchill", surely it is the most iconic of this class?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X