No announcement yet.

N West Country

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any news on the BoBs and WC class locos yet? A progress report perhaps...if possible. It would be appreciated.
    Cheers!

Comment

I feel the need to write something here as I am needing a southern fix. Perhaps if the BB is not ready we could have another run of Schools perhaps?

Comment

Hi Andy.
        It's been a while since there has been any update on the progress of. these models - in fact, I think it was probably at the Club day in September when we were told that you were designing your own coreless motor to achieve the characteristics you wanted. The excellent Schools (I have 3) and Crompton have whetted my appetite for these so some indication of where things stand would be appreciated by me and, I'm sure, the other Southern modellers out there.

Thanks

Martin

Comment

Third it!!

Comment

4th.

Yawn.

Looking past commissioned models - Gaugemaster Class 73, Project Railway Honour Class 66 - one could be forgiven for thinking that Dapol have forgotten about N.
          Last edited by RailGooner; 10th March 2017, 18:15.

Comment

• CeeDee
            CeeDee commented
            Editing a comment
            It's true...perhaps Dapol have given up completely with the BoB WC project. I do hope not as I still expect to purchase at least five of these promised beauties......

• JeremiahBunyan
            JeremiahBunyan commented
            Editing a comment
            I doubt they have. With current scenarios it's only obvious to have a few delays. I'm sure that when it's out it'll be a wonderful model.

Have to say Dapol, hugely disappointed by the news that the BoB & West Country are now indefinitely delayed (effectively cancelled?)

Tom.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
            JeremiahBunyan commented
            Editing a comment
            Best not to jump to conclusions about a cancellation and better to be more understanding, afterall Dapol don't own a bank...

• TomE
            TomE commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm sorry, but the time for understanding is long over. Dapol announced this model in 2011, 6 years ago! Since then all they've done is string us along with tidbits of information and promises of new and improved designs which we've never seen any evidence of. Blaming Brexit is simply a glib excuse, and it would be better for everyone if they just came out and cancelled it outright now so another company that is actually willing to see the model through to production can do so.

Dapol's credibility with N Gauge modellers has just fallen through the floor faster than Sterling.

• Richard Dallimore
            Richard Dallimore commented
            Editing a comment
            I would agree blaming brexit is weak this could or should have been tooled 4 years ago along with the class 50, call it as it is cancellation of these projects.

'LIKE' comment #21.2 by TomE and comment #21.3 by Richard Dallimore.

I conclude that we are witnessing the end of N products from Dapol. And anybody who wants to conclude otherwise is free to do so. But anybody who wants to tell me I too would be better concluding otherwise, can do one.

I tried to focus on the positives in Joel's statement when I first read it. But with every reread, I see more and more gloom for N. And with every reread, the writing between the lines becomes clearer and clearer. Dapol are dumping N. We'll see re-liveries of existing product to maximize profit from the tooling, before they flog off the tooling.

Comment

I'm quite sure I am far from being the only one bitterly disappointed that 6 years down the line the Bulleid light pacifics have, to all intents and purposes, bitten the dust. As soon as the facility was available I pre ordered one, being desperate to own a decent BoB Spam Can. Well, Dapol, I've cancelled the pre order and will take delivery of the Farish Merchant Navy tomorrow

Comment

• austinbob
              austinbob commented
              Editing a comment
              Likewise I think the recent delays (cancellations!!) have confirmed that it is just not worth pre-ordering locos as they never seem to arrive when promised (estimated?). Hopes are raised and then dashed. Just not worth worrying about.
              In Dapol's defence, if that's the right word, Graham Farish are not that much better in this respect. So I just don't do pre-orders any more.
              I am looking more and more to old second hand locos to find the classes I want now. What a shame!!
              Bob Austin

Being as we only have 2 main manufacturers of N gauge in this country that provide locos, wagons, coaches, sets etc, it is very disappointing for N gauge modellers when one stops moving forward with new products. Things have slowed down dramatically for the past few years now and to be perfectly honest, this isn't a huge surprise. We understand OO is more profitable but there are already so many manufacturers. In N gauge we don't have that luxury, so understandably there are a lot of frustrated people. All this time, the N gauge crowd has put up with some iffy quality control from both makers and still kept buying the goods hoping for the best. If you love railways in this country and you love N gauge, what choice do you have? We would love to see the quality that is almost assured from continental manufacturers (and the prices are getting closer and closer all the time), but only a few items have truly got to that stage, and that is if you get a good one from the batch. Time and again I have purchased / returned loco after loco to find one that works as well as it should, again from both manufacturers. Small adjustments are often required straight from the box.

I think the majority of modellers would rather have had a tender housed motor and cardan shaft BoB / West Country than none at all. In my experience with two NQP examples, the Schools runs better than a lot of locos of this type and I'm sure a light pacific could have been to this standard. More weight in the tender to improve pickup and lessen the vibrations would have worked wonders, along with sturdier valve gear and wires that permanently link loco and tender rather than flimsy ones that break. Less grease to get in and insulate pickup type bearings would also help.

Many people seem to think N gauge is growing, but it won't without really good products to move it forward.

Comment

• doug22150
              doug22150 commented
              Editing a comment
              I would certainly have been happy with a tender-driven WC/BoB (especially if the alternative is nothing at all). I'm very happy with the running of my Schools, Britannias and Q1. Tender drive on the Q1 is unobtrusive and the WC/BoB have similar tender-cabs. Improvement to the loco.-tender wires would be a bonus but not essential.

Perhaps there is a case for tryting to crowd-fund a WC / BoB project through the N Gauge Soc.???? Just a thought......

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              Good idea, but it'll take the same time. Unless ofcourse you're referring to Dapol and then they clearly told me that crowd-funding isn't a mthod they ever want to use.

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd love it if a company like RevolutioN take up the crowdfunding initiative and Dapol can produce the loco then. Similar to your but with a slight difference.

• Chris Newman
              Chris Newman commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds a good idea--but as I've just joined NGS and been told quite emphatically that once something sells out there's not normally any re-runs--which means in the future once your initial batch is sold out you would get no renumbering's or renaming that you would from Dapol!!

Hi Team Dapol, I've just got off the NGF site after reading a post by a chap "ODRAILS" dated 24/3, who states that the WC/BoB project is totally cancelled. I know from recent posts there are delays and slow downs, but I would ask for clarification on this particular project please!!

Chris

Comment

• Chris Newman
              Chris Newman commented
              Editing a comment
              Jeremiah, It seems that mumbling, grumbling and dissent in the ranks is "hereditary" in this hobby, I was looking back on NGF late last night at the thread on Dapol class 52 Westerns in 2013 and the same thing was going on then--and if you go forward in time 5years or so, most likely it will still be going on!! Although one thing did stand out as a predominant problem--QC (Quality Control) and another subject I don't want to get into on this thread--enough said!!

Chris

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              Ahh well part and parcel of the hobby I guess. Enough about this. Back to discussing the WC/BoB....

• ODRAILS
              ODRAILS commented
              Editing a comment
              I did not write that the WC/BoB project is "totally cancelled" in the post to which Chris is referring. I did state that "Dapol would not now be producing the promised Bulleid Light Pacific...". By asking the question which he did in his post he obviously hadn't bothered to read the previous posts in this thread.
              I am very disappointed that Dapol has chosen either to delay indefinitely or not to continue the development of the light pacifics. Those of us who want to buy these models have waited six years from the initial announcement and are now left in limbo in that another manufacturer is unlikely to take on the risk of potential competition with Dapol.
              I am not "knocking" Dapol in any way - just registering my disappointment. BTW, I'm a satisfied owner of 2 x panniers, 1 x Ivatt tank, 2 x Schools, 1 x Q1, 1 x Britannia, 1 x 9F and a rake of Maunsell coaches
              Ian

Unfortunately people do jump to conclusions based on other peoples' statements. If you look at the link posted by Chris Newman he does not categorically state the project is cancelled he says 'So, it appears that Dapol will not now be producing the promised Bulleid Light Pacifics in air-smoothed or modified form.'
            In addition your comment about the average British modeler - "dislike a company = talk any rubbish and somehow include the so called best brand whilst ignoring their obvious drawbacks" - is talking about an awful lot of modelers - I doubt that many, other than real enthusiasts, even read or contribute to forums such as this or the NGF, let alone think the way you describe.
            You too are drawing conclusions about the 'average British modeler' based on a few opinions posted.

Bob Austin

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              "I doubt that many, other than real enthusiasts, even read or contribute to forums such as this or the NGF, let alone think the way you describe."
              I stick to my opinion, I acknowledge the fact that there's a lot of real enthusiasts out there, and from my experience it's the real enthusiasts and amatuer YouTubers who are more understanding. "Most" of the others are quite influencial and tend to have a minor double standard. As a person who is part of a lot of forums from all over the world, it's quite clear about us. You are free to disagree with my views, but it's something I personally noticed.

"You too are drawing conclusions about the 'average British modeler' based on a few opinions posted."
              I will politely disagree with that, your definition and my definition of few clearly are different. I shall take care in future as to word my posts carefully so as not to allow others to misunderstand. Previous post duly edited.
              Last edited by JeremiahBunyan; 2nd April 2017, 11:40.

Nearly 6 months have now passed since the last post here regarding the delay and/or cancellation of the N gauge light pacifics, because I am still rather confused as to whether Dapol have completely cancelled the BoB production or just put it into obeyance? Has there been any further updates or hints from Dapol about this - I haven't seen anything conclusive. Is there still hope we might eventually see the BoB (and WC) or am I living in false hope? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Learner View Post
              Nearly 6 months have now passed since the last post here regarding the delay and/or cancellation of the N gauge light pacifics, because I am still rather confused as to whether Dapol have completely cancelled the BoB production or just put it into obeyance? Has there been any further updates or hints from Dapol about this - I haven't seen anything conclusive. Is there still hope we might eventually see the BoB (and WC) or am I living in false hope? Thanks.
              Nothing that I have seen, as far as I know its in obeyance. Am sure Dapol will bring this porject back when the timing is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Learner View Post
                It has been put in abeyance for a reason and that is because there will be no further news until they have something worthwhile to share. There is no time limit to it. When they have news they'll share it.

Cheers!
                Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Working...
                X