Pull-Push fitted M7s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pull-Push fitted M7s

Can you tell me if these have been released previously or if not have been considered?

Thanks

None of our latest releases were push pull fitted. I doubt very much we will be releasing any more M7's from this tooling as it needs a revamp. Something to considered for the tooling though.
    Regards
    Joel

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

That would be a great addition to the range if the model ends up being retooled. There's a push pull ivatt 2 so why not a push pull M7?

Cheers,

jon

Comment

I'd be very interested in a long-framed, push-pull M7 or two - especially if we could get the matching coaches. Make a lovely little branch set.

Comment

This is one of Dapol's prettiest models and its a real shame the weight distribution isn't there for haulage, but there is a lot of potential with a longer framed push-pull model to re-engineer the chassis to get more low down weight. A pair of southern pull-push coaches would go down a treat too. I think modellers do like od ball locos. The days of manufacturer's only doing 4-6-2s is long gone.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
            Joel Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, we would love to make this from scratch and improve its haulage capacity. Perhaps in the future, when we are caught up with the back log.

Slightly off the wall suggestion but how about an O2 instead/as well? They are visually similar to the M7 but smaller and a bit more rural. I would welcome a retooled M7 with better haulage but an O2 would also appeal to those who maybe don't want to replace their existing models.

Plus there is always the "Isle of Wight" appeal-factor.

Comment

Fully support what everyone says about about improving traction, the Terrier at half the size has more than double the pulling power. It's a shame that the bogie makes it only suitable for Radius 2.

Has the M7 ever been released in Olive green?

Comment

• Jeff Eastmond
              Jeff Eastmond commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, one of the early releases was No 37 in lined Olive Green. I have one, runs very well, handles 3 coaches and a van on level track (all I need it to do).

I have 3 of my M7s converted to push pull, lengthened front by about 1mm added cast brass Westinghouse pump, and reservoirs etc, added a bit of weight, no problem pulling 9 Maunsells and 2 bogie vans on my 4'x2' test layout or Kato track as this video shows, weight increase is about 8 or 9 grams

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...7%2B11fwds.mp4

Comment

For Mark Ellis and anyone else wondering, here's a list of the M7 models Dapol have produced.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dapol M7 Production.png
Views:	149
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	2100

Comment

List of LSWR/SR M7 0-4-4T locos, divided into short- and long-framed, with potted history.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LSWR M7 0-4-4T.png
Views:	151
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	2121

Comment

• Jeff Eastmond
                  Jeff Eastmond commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You're welcome - One has to do something while waiting for the Autoglass man to come and fix one's car windscreen...

• SteveU
                  SteveU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jeff you seem to have a wealth of data to hand very comprehensive... One thing I am always trying to find and usual online wiki type sources do not record normally for types is the nominal top speed. I use this to set up decoders on the ESU to correctly reflect top indicated speed and by adjusting the CVs particularly in the LokPilot ESU decoders obtain correct scale speeds... Do you have this kind of info (steam era) or know a good source of it?

• Jeff Eastmond
                  Jeff Eastmond commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just had a quick scoot through my reference books (the old-fashioned print and paper types) and maximum speed seems to be something that is not recorded amongst all the other dimensions. I think it was a case of 'it'll go as fast as it goes'...
              Working...
              X