Olive green M7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olive green M7

When Dapol produce the next run of M7s, could we have an Olive green model please? Second hand ones of the previous batch are non existent, suggesting a market

Just an updated M7 to modern standards please.

Comment

Originally posted by Crepello View Post
      Just an updated M7 to modern standards please.
      With decent traction to stop the wheel spin, and decent running - because the front wheel mounting system didn't seem to work very well on the original design

Comment

Did see something about a new M7 or was I dreaming?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          No you were not dreaming :-) The updated M7 (new Chassis, motor and pick up, plus some tweaks to the body) is in the tool room and we should have something to show soon.

Is it possible to also do the extended front frame pull-and-push version as well?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello Jeff, I am afraid not. We wanted to utilise as much of the old tooling as we could and this negated the push pull version. If this goes well, perhaps we will look at getting the new parts made later, but they are quite extensive and costly.

Hi Joel,

Will the new chassis have a DCC socket? If so will it be 6 pin or Next18?

Great to hear these are coming back - I'll be buying more than a few!

Comment

Has anything been done to improve the traction? It's embarrassing when a little Terrier has a whole lot more puling power than the original M7s

Maybe it's time to consider metal bodies?

Comment

Hi Mark (@Mark Ellis),
            There are a number of improvements that we have made, as you can see traction is one item we are addressing.
            Here's a short list:
            - Diecast wheels
            - Improved balance (CoG) to improve traction
            - Keyed axles (similar to the A4/A3) (this is to allow for using more reliable power pick-up through brass bushes and wheels)
            - Improved power path from rear pony (similar structure as main wheels but smaller)
            - Extra weight to improve traction
            - 6 pin decoder (not enough room for Next 18 system)

I must stress that until we are able to produce a sample these are design specifications (so subject to change), once we have an engineering prototype we'll be able to fully test the model and make adjustments if required.

-Andy
            Last edited by Andy Dapol; 9 November 2020, 11:47. Reason: Speeling!
            Regards
            Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• capri_sam
              capri_sam commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Andy, this sounds perfect, exactly what the model needed. The M7 is my favourite Dapol model of all time and I'm very excited to see it back!

That's excellent news Joel. The original M7 was very nice but let down my its wheels and performance. The Ivatt 2-6-2T would also fall in this category.....!

Comment

• Joel Dapol
              Joel Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              We agree, another excellent candidate for a revamp.

Originally posted by Andy Dapol View Post
            Hi Mark (@Mark Ellis),
            There are a number of improvements that we have made, as you can see traction is one item we are addressing.
            Here's a short list:
            - Diecast wheels
            - Improved balance (CoG) to improve traction
            - Keyed axles (similar to the A4/A3) (this is to allow for using more reliable power pick-up through brass bushes and wheels)
            - Improved power path from rear pony (similar structure as main wheels but smaller)
            - Extra weight to improve traction

I must stress that until we are able to produce a sample these are design specifications (so subject to change), once we have an engineering prototype we'll be able to fully test the model and make adjustments if required.

-Andy
            That's brilliant news, Andy. Lets hope it all comes off.

Will the chassis be available separately for people to upgrade existing loco bodies? My ND-026 and ND-046 never get to play because of the traction

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2963-Railway-train-stock-12-Feb-2019.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	9326

Comment

• Joel Dapol
              Joel Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              I am sure DCC Supplies will be stocking some of these chassis as spares.

Whilst the new tooling looks great, it's such a shame it's not DCC ready. Do you think there will be room for a conversion, and if so will there at least be solder tabs for a decoder? You guys know your customers and will have made a financial and engineering decision based on that, but I'm not sure I can justify £100 each on a loco that I'll have to invalidate the warranty on just to get it running on my layout. Such a shame as I was very excited to see the M7 back and was planning to order several.

Comment

Originally posted by capri_sam View Post
              Whilst the new tooling looks great, it's such a shame it's not DCC ready. Do you think there will be room for a conversion, and if so will there at least be solder tabs for a decoder? You guys know your customers and will have made a financial and engineering decision based on that, but I'm not sure I can justify £100 each on a loco that I'll have to invalidate the warranty on just to get it running on my layout. Such a shame as I was very excited to see the M7 back and was planning to order several.
              Me too, I would not risk it especailly if I havr to remove parts of the metal chassis to fit a decoder, it is worrying when bac kin Novemebr Andy said it would have a 6 pin decoder

Originally posted by Andy Dapol View Post
              Hi Mark (@Mark Ellis),

-Andy

Comment

My main gripe is it suffers from the same fault as the originals, despite the improved wheels they are still either far too small or the body sits too high. The wheel center should be just below the footplate but there is a relatively massive gap so it looks like it's on stilts and the driver only really disappears behind the smaller element of the splasher designed for the coupling rod bosses.
                Overscale flanges etc aren't an excuse as plenty of other locos have drivers well within the splashers. It makes the splashers look ridiculously large.
                The lack of DCC doesn't affect me but is a big oversight, sorry Dapol, not good enough or worth the wait.

Comment

Looking good! Saw the video on YouTube and I am quite impressed with it's haulage. The lack of DCC doesn't bother me as I don't use DCC. Though it is surprising to not be DCC ready, it is understandable given the size of N gauge and the weight needed for it's smooth operation. I'm waiting for livery drawings or painted samples before I decide to pre-order one.

I hope the GWR 14XX and LMS Ivatt 2-6-2T gets the same treatment
                  Last edited by JeremiahBunyan; 23 February 2021, 04:29.
                  Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                    Joel Dapol commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hello Jeremiah, We have tried hard to include a DCC socket but the reality is there is no room without either compromising the cab interior or removing weight, either of which would compromise the looks or running for the majority of customers who run in DC. It is a shame, we agree but in our view is the best way forward. It should be possible to hardwire a decoder if customers so wish and it is then their choice in which area they wish to compromise. We did also consider the bunker, but there really is not enough room for everything that is involved.

Joel Dapol would it be possible to see the CAD of the cab with weights to try and get a feel for whether conversion is practical?

Comment

Working...
                  X