Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this loco worth a re-tooled DCC ready chassis.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this loco worth a re-tooled DCC ready chassis.

I have had several of these locos and still have the push-pull variant. It was good to see the recent re-release of the model, it made a very reasonably priced choice but I was slightly disappointed to note that it could well be the last production run of it.

Of course technology moves on at a great pace and it would have to be admitted that the Ivatt's chassis has now been overtaken by advances such as wiper-less split chassis pickup, coreless motors, DCC 6 pin sockets and metal see through spoked wheels etc.,However the body moulding remains very nice indeed and as long as there is still life in the tooling, this would seem to be an ideal candidate for a chassis upgrade?

Roy

Roy - I agree that the model is a lovely one. I too have three including one push pull. I think it is up to Dapol to consider a new chassis or not, but having just done a run, there would seem to be no chance for a while at least.

Comment

Hi Bob, I agree not for a while to allow the current models to sell through, but maybe in a couple of years time. The Ivatt 2MT Tank is such a useful and widely travelled loco, and I suspect it would not be at all hard to adapt the said chassis to put under it's close cousin the BR Standard 84xxx too? Of course asking for an LMS Push-Pull set on top of this (suitable for both) would just be plain greedy!

Comment

There are a few of the older Dapol models that need a spruce up with improved mechanics and this one is definitely on the agenda. No time frame as yet though, but we will probably look to start this once the N gauge back log is reduced.
        Regards
        Joel

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

The M7 and small Prairies would also welcome a refurb under the hood. The body toolings still look good although the plastic used for the handrails seems to have a tendency to warp over time.

Comment

I for one would like to see this Loco retooled and renumbered 41290-41319 ex Crewe to BR (S) 1951 worked on all divisions of BR(S) from Kent to the "Withered Arm"!!!

Comment

I look forward to seeing the Prairie tanks being up graded to DCC ready I will have a couple when that happens.

Comment

I'd whole heartedly support a new chassis being produced for the Ivatt. I have been examining ways to utilise a Farish 2MT chassis with the Dapol body so this would save me a great deal of work!!

Comment

Another vote for a retooled chassis here, I have a soft spot for Ivatt tanks and will be operating on DCC so having a DCC ready model is important to me, would probably have a couple of them if they were

Comment

I've posted this already, but it seems to have been lost after the server reboot, so here again.

The simplest improvement that could be made to this loco and the M7. 14xx, 45xx would be to replace the motor with the super-creep version in the 57xx. This surely would need minimal (if any) retooling as both motors are of similar size. I'd try it myself as a modification if I could get the supercreep as a spare! Beyond this, the chassis would only need spoked wheels to come to a fairly modern standard - as others have said the body tooling is very good.

Would be a minimalistic way to majorly improve the slow speed running with the least amount of retooling.

Thoughts, Dapol?

Cheers,
                    Al

Comment

• Dorsetmike
                      Dorsetmike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep, a bit of weight does help, see my post, #8 in the Push-pull thread, (video of M7 pulling 9 Maunsells and 2 bogie vans)

• Joel Dapol
                      Joel Dapol commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hello Al,the models you suggest are indeed due an upgrade and I like the idea of your cost effective piecemeal approach. I will bring these suggestions up in a forthcoming development meeting and report back here.

• Dr Al
                      Dr Al commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Joel - I think you may be able to do this super cheap - minimal retooling, and it would address (for me) the number one thing that now lets these down as compared what's come in more recent years - namely the delicacy of control needed to get good slow speed performance from the high revving 3 pole motors. If you could drop this motor in with no retool then the only other thing would be the wheels, which together with a revised pickup strip could all fit in the existing chassis without needing to retool that. I'm not DCC so DCCists will probably scream about no socket, but this one doesn't look a hard wired conversion.

If not - do make the 57xx motors available as spares so I can try!!!!

Bob - a tungsten chassis would need a full chassis retool which wasn't the aim of my suggestion as a minimalist upgrade.

I see that retailers are expecting another batch of the 2MT tank in BR livery - any idea please when this will be in the shops?
                    Last edited by Longbow; 13 September 2016, 08:08.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                      Joel Dapol commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi Longbow, I am not sure which retailers are suggesting this, but no further releases are due and when we do release more, it will be the upgraded version that comes out. This will be after we have done the modifications of course! (which have not yet started). I hope that helps.

Joel - thanks. That's surprising news, as I've been looking for one of these and the weathered early emblem 2MT (Dapol 2S-015-004) is widely listed as available for pre-order at Hattons, Rails of Sheffield, Gaugemaster and numerous smaller retailers.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                      Joel Dapol commented
                      Editing a comment
                      2S-015-004 was released nearly two years ago I am afraid. I am not sure why the retailers you mention have not updated their systems as our policy in general is not to repeat a run on any specific running number and livery combination.

Joel - that's valuable feedback thanks. As a result I have cancelled my pre-order and secured what must be one of the last available in the retail channel.

Comment

Presumably with the news of significant delays to other N Gauge models, any hopes of upgraded chassis for the Ivatt and others are now dead in the water?

Tom.

Comment

Hi Team Dapol, I have recently acquired an Ivatt 2S-015-003 and without taking it apart to find out, is this version DCC ready or not or can it be converted , Please. Chris

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                        Joel Dapol commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hello Chris, this is not DCC Ready I am afraid, but I do understand it can be hardwired.
                    Working...
                    X