A4 - Problem with DCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A4 - Problem with DCC

Just purchased a mint unused A4 Silver Fox. When I ran it in on DC straight from the box, I was very impressed. After an hour in each direction, although a little noisy, it would run very satisfactorily at slow speed in both directions. I then installed a DCC 23 Decoder and it ran forwards satisfactorily but when reversed, it shorted out. After resetting the DCC, I tried again but, every time it was put in reverse it shorted out again. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Not one I have heard before. Have you tried an another decoder to make sure the problem is not with the decoder?
    Regards
    Joel

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Hi, firstly, I moved your post since it will receive more viewers in its own topic.
      This is not a problem I've encountered previously with an A4. adding a DCC decoder can highlight faults not apparent under DC, especially with the electrics.
      I suggest a quick check of the tender-loco wires in case one has broken and is shorting against a rail in one direction (There are spare wires in the accessory pack). If it's not this and your decoder operates correctly in another loco (worth swapping to check) then you have a couple of choices, if it was purchased second hand then I suggest you contact the seller, or EBay if purchased via them.
      If purchased new, from a retailer, then they could be contacted for a swap/refund or arrange a repair under our manufactures warranty by contacting DCC Supplies (01905 621999) for a warranty repair.
      Regards
      Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Thanks very much for prompt advice Joel and Andy. This was a previously unused decoder but I will do as you suggest to check it out and closely inspect the loco. to tender wires.

Comment

I have now tried a different decoder but the loco. exhibited the same issue when running backwards. I then reinstalled the DC blanking plug and ran it again on DC - perfect running! I then tried adjusting the loco-tender wire angles and refitted my DCC 23. This time, though I removed the PCB fixing screws and looked underneath - I noticed that the black wire to the PCB was bent backwards tightly and was very close to another PCB contact. I then tested on my program track, and the decoder seemed fine. The loco also ran perfectly in both directions with the PCB lifted clear of the tender chassis but when I screwed the PCB back down it shorted out when running backwards again. At this point, I'm pausing for breath as I'm reluctant to start resoldering wires to the PCB!

Comment

I'm pleased to report that I have now solved the problem! The loco. was running perfectly under DCC with the PCB raised clear of the tender chassis but every time that I screwed, or even pushed, it back down into place the shorting recurred. Then I happened to notice that the wires from the motor brushes to the capacitors were very close to the 3rd pair of tender wheels. I therefore carefully bent these so that they were well clear of the wheels, screwed the PCB down and (with fingers crossed) tried again. To my utter amazement, the loco. now runs perfectly in both directions and is one of the quietest Dapol locos that I have. The problem clearly must have been that DCC power was enough to short out the motor to the tender wheels but DC was not. I am extremely happy with the latest addition to my loco. stock. Thanks for your help again.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
              Andy Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Good news! Thanks for letting us know.
          Working...
          X