Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A4 future production run

Hi
    is there any plans to produce the A4 as 60009 'Union of South Africa' in BR Green as she is/was still running in this livery just now

I would like to second the interest in UoSA. As a modern Image modeler I am unlikely to buy many steam engines but I Would love 60009 for a charter train.

Comment

+1 for Union of South Africa

Cheers, Tom.

Comment

Thanks for all your requests but Union of South Africa has been done in valance form as a special commission for Gaugemaster. See http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_deta...de=DAGM202&r=1
        Regards
        Joel

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Hi all,

I'd be interested in a Dapol A4 to run on a modern layout on a charter train. I think Bittern was running on the mainline in recent years too, but TBH I know next to nothing about steam engines - have any of the Dapol releases covered a preserved loco with correct detail combinations, OHLE warning flashes etc?

cheers

Ben A.

Comment

• RailGooner
            RailGooner commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Ben,
            The same idea saw me buying 4498 Sir Nigel Gresley as preserved. The stock number is 2S-008-002 and you'll still find it in stock at Dapol and independent retailers.
            Last edited by RailGooner; 16 January 2017, 14:38.

Hi Joel
          thanks for info on the Gaugemaster Union of South Africa but I was already aware of that particular model
          but at present the UofSA is running as she was in her final BR days preserved as 60009 in BR Green minus her valence, this is the model I was hoping for especially as the sad news that she's about to be retired from main line running after 82 years service
          cheers
          Sam

Comment

• Joel Dapol
            Joel Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            No plans to produce any more un-valanced versions for a while I am afraid.

Originally posted by Ben A View Post
          I think Bittern was running on the mainline in recent years too, but TBH I know next to nothing about steam engines
          I am similarly lacking in steam engine knowledge, but I do know that Bittern, Sir Nigel Gresley and Union Of South Africa have all been running on the mainline in recent years. A few years back Bittern was running as Commonwealth of New Zealand, with valances, polished metal LNER letters and numbers, and (some of the time) dual tenders - it hauled a number of railtours like that.

Comment

Dominion of Canada in original Garter Blue with the bell would be a nice to have.

Comment

Originally posted by MJM481 View Post
              Dominion of Canada in original Garter Blue with the bell would be a nice to have.
              And also expensive to produce no doubt, as it would require one-off tooling for the bell and its bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidInYork View Post

And also expensive to produce no doubt, as it would require one-off tooling for the bell and its bracket.
                I wonder how much trouble though. How did Hornby get away with it with their Great Gathering models?

Comment

Originally posted by MJM481 View Post

I wonder how much trouble though. How did Hornby get away with it with their Great Gathering models?
                  Probably something to do with the price they charged for the set. £1,000 for 6 locos should more than cover the cost of a bell tooling

Comment

Originally posted by Ed-Farms View Post

Probably something to do with the price they charged for the set. £1,000 for 6 locos should more than cover the cost of a bell tooling
                    Aye, and probably bigger production run too, so more models to spread the cost over - and they repeated the set again as 'the great goodbye'.

Comment

• MJM481
                      MJM481 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Fair comment on what they charged, but wasn't each run limited to 500 of each model? That would be about £165/model at only 1000 examples with the bell.

I honestly have no idea what premium would be needed to cover tooling costs, though I can see how demand for that specific model in N might be insufficient. Sounds like a potential after-market 3D print project.

Hi All just an A4 thought will you do another green A4 with side valance particular 4483 Kingfisher or 4486 Kestrel well mainly Kestrel as its my favoured bird of prey. of course 4486 did have a Black smoke box al over there is a link to what she would look like from golden age models https://goo.gl/images/T193j3

again like I mentioned in the schools class post train packs with an A4 with 4 or 6 teak coaches be it LNER side valance or post war BR period would be very interesting

or how's about an A4 in Southern pre war bullied green with Southern on the tender of course & in small letters with apologies to the LNER .

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                      Joel Dapol commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Will put forward your suggestion for the next batch (sometime in 2018). Thanks you.

Another excerlent job by TMC renaming & renumbering 4482 Golden Eagel to 4494 Osprey I handed in loco to TMC at the 2018 ally pally show after setting up Lacey dale and testing this loco which is a dcc factory fitted loco which we used to check all electrics on the layout. Tony Wright was neare our Demo stands talking to some of our member i showed him said model he was blown away by the detail of the loco & said Dapol have done a grand job on the streamlined A4's & that N has come long way and is far better now then say 15 years ago. in terms of nameing the loco he suggested Osprey as one was on the OO layout he was operating Grantham the streamliner days looking nicely weatherd in the shed So Osprey it was going to be. & heares the result

Comment

Working...
                    X