Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gresley A1

Hi Dapol,

Is there any chance of you backdating the A3 into A1 condition in the future? In terms of the existing tooling this would require the steam pipe on the boiler to be moved to the right hand side, the smokebox superheater covers removing and the reversing rod on the footplate moving to the right hand side.

If you would say this is possible, you'd make an 1930's modeller very happy!

Thanks for reading.

Steve

And to go further back in time the corners of the buffer beam need to be straight not curved. They took these parts out to stop them bashing the platforms at Newcastle.

Comment

The possibility of back "tracking" the model was investigated recently, it was sadly conculuded that it was not echonomically viable to do this.
      Regards
      Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Thanks for the reply Neil. It's a shame that a Gresley A1 will not appear but understandable.

Comment

I'm currently looking at whether it is an easy hack to backdate an A3 to right-hand drive, which would at least allow the five prewar rebuilds to be created, or secondhand single-chimney beasts to be put into 1948-54 condition for a loco built as an A1 rather than an A3. Eventually I'll post something either in the digest or send an article for the mag.

Filing smokebox sides smooth to make an A1 might be a bigger challenge, however. Remember also that before 1935 the cab cutouts were a different shape and there were no bucket seats in the cab.

Comment

• Neil Dapol
            Neil Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            I look forward to seen the results Les

Originally posted by Les1952 View Post
          I'm currently looking at whether it is an easy hack to backdate an A3 to right-hand drive, which would at least allow the five prewar rebuilds to be created, or secondhand single-chimney beasts to be put into 1948-54 condition for a loco built as an A1 rather than an A3. Eventually I'll post something either in the digest or send an article for the mag.

Filing smokebox sides smooth to make an A1 might be a bigger challenge, however. Remember also that before 1935 the cab cutouts were a different shape and there were no bucket seats in the cab.
          Funnily enough, that's something I'm considering as well as that would allow me to more or less model the first A3 4480, Enterprise. All the best with your conversion.

Going back to the A1, I think it is a toss up between taking the plunge with modifying an A3 boiler or carefully measuring up and creating a CAD file to 3D print a replacement. Thanks for the heads up on the 1935 cab alterations, I'd completely forgotten about that!

To help get me in the mood for some A1s, I'm presently repainting a cheaply obtained Gladiator A3 into apple green. Once paired with a GNR eight wheel tender it should be a fair approximation of Humorist c. 1938.

Comment

Hi all,

Just a quick update concerning some conversions from Papyrus models.

I managed to get hold of a Flying Scotsman (original release) boiler from DCC Supplies a little while back and swapped the boiler from one of my Papyrus models to create an approximation of Windsor Lad - the dome should really be a true banjo shape for c. 1935 condition but it's close enough for me. The second conversion was Enterprise complete with right hand drive which then gave me the confidence to try and model Flying Scotsman in early 1930s condition. I've included some pictures below of these works in progress. I think I'm going to leave the cabs on Enterprise and Flying Scotsman as they are as opening up the cutouts may be one step too many for me.

A question to Joel and Richard as well if I may. Is Dapol planning to produce any more models of Grand Parade as GNR tenders in LNER livery seem to be rarer than hen's teeth at the moment - I'd like to make one more A1 but with a GNR tender.

Comment

• Les1952
              Les1952 commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks nice. The regulator rod under the footplate also needs moving to the other side for a right-hand drive (or at least removing from the left). Or is this a conversion too far?
              Not started mine yet, spending a lot of time on building a new layout.

• Atso
              Atso commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Les,

It is perfectly doable with a little care. If you look at Enterprise you can see that I've done this, just haven't gotten around to Scotsman yet. With care you can also pop out the coal load in the corridor tender. This makes removing/squaring up the streamlining very easy.

Humorist is also making its way through its conversion from Gladiateur with most of the repaint to LNER apple green complete. Then I just need to be able to get everything back together again!

Humorist finally repainted from a BR Gladiateur with spare BR liveried GNR tender from DCC supplies.

One to think about as a production model perhaps?
            Attached Files

Comment

• Atso
              Atso commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Les, lets hope that there are some LNER liveried A3s on the horizon soon - the original supply is drying up and I've only got ten!!! LOL!

• Les1952
              Les1952 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have rather more than that, but all bar three of mine are in BR livery.

• Atso
              Atso commented
              Editing a comment
              You're a lucky man Les!

Thank you Dapol for managing to find me some spare valve gear to replace the damaged (when purchased second hand as a non-running) items on my Flying Scotsman project. This is ending up a real mishmash of parts sourced to make the loco in roughly early 1930's A1 condition. I thought I'd post a photo of the current state of play; I've still got some patch painting and lining the frames out to do. I'm very happy that I've now got a running loco and look forward to finishing it off!
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X