Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying Scotsman, Train Packs

hi all

i was wondering if anyone knows if any of the locos in the packs that gaugemaster will be doing will be fitted with smoke deflectors? And when they will be out?

cheers

callum

An estimated arrival date was given on the Gaugemaster website IIRC....
    Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Hi Cazadoom, the only Flying Scotsman we are making with smoke deflectors is the preserved version circa 2003 4472 in LNER Green with banjo style dome and double chimney. We are a bit behind schedule on this project and are just tweaking the liveries. I would estimate delivery will be around September, but will inevitably depend on how successful the tweaks are implemented. I hope that helps
      Regards
      Joel

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
        JeremiahBunyan commented
        Editing a comment
        Will you'll be posting the artwork for these models?

When we have finished scrutinizing the current samples and we have samples back with the necessary changes made and are representative of what the public can expect to receive we will post some phonographs for you.

Actually I will post the current samples we have, this way people can have their tuppence worth and it should be a bit of fun and informative at the same time....
      Last edited by Neil Dapol; 26 July 2016, 16:30. Reason: Update to post
      Regards
      Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
        JeremiahBunyan commented
        Editing a comment
        Even better than artwork...!

• Andy Dapol
        Andy Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Neil Dapol View Post
        we will post some phonographs for you.
        I love the sound of an A3 on full throttle - Sorry, I couldn't resist !

• JeremiahBunyan
        JeremiahBunyan commented
        Editing a comment
        Sadly I've never been able to witness that, videos still aren't the real deal.

Originally posted by Joel Dapol View Post
      Hi Cazadoom, the only Flying Scotsman we are making with smoke deflectors is the preserved version circa 2003 4472 in LNER Green with banjo style dome and double chimney. We are a bit behind schedule on this project and are just tweaking the liveries. I would estimate delivery will be around September, but will inevitably depend on how successful the tweaks are implemented. I hope that helps
      Hi Joel

Will this be the one in the pack with maroon coaches DA2S-011-005(D) pack?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
        Joel Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, that's correct all coaches are light bar fitted

Please feel free to comment in a constructive way on our earliest version of FS decorated Sample.
      Regards
      Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• Ed-Farms
        Ed-Farms commented
        Editing a comment
        No problem, really want to see these models top notch as Scotsman is a favourite of mine. Jujst got to decide which pack I want now

• Les1952
        Les1952 commented
        Editing a comment
        The green undersides to the running plate were originally found on 2750, the first LNER-liveried Dapol A3. This was a result of the Chinese misinterpreting the colour on a contemporary colour photograph taken in low light. Discovered too late to correct the first two LNER A3s, but is it too late to correct now?

Similarly the odd sized numbers relate back to 2750, where the Chinese used a contemporary photo of Papyrus. This loco and a few others were turned out in about 1935 by Doncaster with odd-sized numbers, and no reason has been found. It caused a minor panic when the model came out until it was realised that it was actually correct...... 4472 wan NOT one of the locos affected, and in any case wasn't rebuilt to A3 until much later. Cabside numbers should be all the same size.

As an aside you may spot the last two digits of 60045 Lemberg's cabside number are slightly wonky. Again that is because they were on the real loco.

In LNER Days the loco was right-hand drive and an A1 class (no blisters on the smokebox sides) . As preserved it ran in this livery with a single chimney but had a banjo dome.
        Last edited by Les1952; 1 August 2016, 11:36. Reason: extra info and a typo

• Joel Dapol
        Joel Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks again for the feedback, it is much appreciated.

Please feel free to comment in a constructive way on our war time black FS decorated sample.
      Regards
      Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Please feel free to comment in a constructive way on our BR Express Blue FS decorated sample
        Regards
        Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• Les1952
          Les1952 commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks very nice though there are two problems. One is easy to correct, the other probably not possible. The easy one is that Scotsman at this time had a non-corridor tender. The model may already be specced to have one, if not then it is an easy change.

More difficult is that at this time Scotsman was Right-hand drive. That means the reversing rod under the footplate, and the steam pipe to the blower running below the handrail on the boiler side should be on the other side of the loco. While it is a matter of fitting parts in a different place that may not be technically possible- the steam pipe is straight so it MIGHT fix upside down on the other side. If not then tooling a new one would be too expensive.
          Last edited by Les1952; 1 August 2016, 11:40. Reason: getting rid of speech marks that appeared as &quot

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Les, yes we have specified a non-corridor tender for this, so should be okay.

We will also look to see what we can do about the change in drive for this, but i fear that only one is tooled for and this may be a necessary compromise.

Thanks again

• PaulShanahanUK
          PaulShanahanUK commented
          Editing a comment
          That is an amazing looking loco in that colour. I might have to put some cash to one side for one of these, even though it's not my era.

Please feel free to comment in a constructive way on our BR (Brunswick) green FS decorated sample
        Regards
        Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• Ed-Farms
          Ed-Farms commented
          Editing a comment
          Cannot see any livery faults here but she should have the banjo dome as per the BR Blue model and not the stump dome.

• Les1952
          Les1952 commented
          Editing a comment
          It should also have a non-corridor tender. I hope that has been noted. The blue one should also have a non-corridor tender.

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Ed and Les, yes we have specified a banjo dome and non-corridor tender for this, but for some reason they appear to be testing our powers of observation :-)

Thank you for the feedback though, it is appreciated.

Please feel free to comment in a constructive way on our "preserved" representation of FS decorated sample
        Regards
        Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• Dr Al
          Dr Al commented
          Editing a comment
          The sitting down seems to be due to the front chassis spacer component, which also has the slot for the front footplate clip - this defines the height of the footplate at the front end. I have been able to correct low sitters by adjusting this piece (requires a complete strip down).

• Neil Dapol
          Neil Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for letting everybody know that handy piece of info Dr Al!

• Dr Al
          Dr Al commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd have hoped you'd already know that at Dapol ;-) ! It looks to me like the designer intended this piece to sit level (unsurprisingly), but in manufacture they don't always end up this way - I had to remove material from it to let it then sit level relative to the tungsten chassis frames.

Correcting this allows the bufferbeam at the front to sit at, or closer to the correct height (ideally, disconnecting loco and tender the two bufferbeams should be equal). This then completely negates the need for the large bufferbeam cutout at the front - I've filled them on my BR examples.

We have already had a good look at the samples here at Dapol and have some minor changes to make before production starts, however if you spot something you are more than welcome to point your observations out to us and we will discuss them all when we make our final deliberations.....
        Regards
        Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

That was fast...Love the livery samples!
          Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies! Can't wait for them to appear!

means I am going to have to get two now looking at those pics :-p ...

Will they be about for TINGS??

Hopefully so they can be on my layout at the show!

Comment

I really like the new Flying Scotsman, I have already ordered the BR Blue version along with the LNER with the four Custard & Cream coaches.

Thanks for the preview photos Neal, really looking forward to seeing these on Geominster.

Comment

The wartime black is my favourite, shame it doesn't have the smoke deflectors like the preserved one that Hornby has done in 00, but real nice. Is there any updates on release dates?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                  Joel Dapol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi Alex, these have been delayed slightly due to some late livery amendments, so awaiting a new delivery date, but I would expect them in November time.

• Ed-Farms
                  Ed-Farms commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just in time for Christmas then, going to be some happy folk come December 25th
              Working...
              X