• 9F review

a video review I did on Dapols 9F 2-10-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuUYW_K6cUo

Great Review, thank you.
    Regards
    Joel

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

I don't know if I have just been unlucky but I have just purchased my 2nd "mint unused" 9f from the most recent release series (92088 and 92226). The running of both these locos is truly awful! My first purchase was disappointing as even after over an hour of running in both directions, it remained very jerky, would not run at all at low speed and both tender and loco. tipped to one side when power was applied. As it was out of warranty anyway, I set about trying to repair it. I removed the worm and 16 tooth gear to find out if there were any tight spots and did adjust the quartering of one wheelset. I also replaced the 16 tooth gear which, after hours of running in was looking worn. Without the worm attached, the chassis appeared to be free moving. It would not roll by itself but could be easily pushed in both directions with no apparent binding. However, when I reassembled the drive and tested (without the loco. body in place), the loco. chassis tipped so much to one side when power was applied that it derailed. At this point I must have taken leave of my senses because I purchased my 2nd "unused" loco - 92226. Out of the box, this was even worse! When power was applied the tender tipped violently to one side (depending on the direction of attempted travel) so much that it simply derailed. I have read that the very first releases of 9f locos were poor runners but cannot believe just how bad these 2 late releases are. Can anyone advise just what is wrong with them?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
        Joel Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        HI Doug, it is a bit unclear from your message were these models purchased second hand as `mint unused' or new from a stockist? To be quite honest, I wish you had contacted us before stripping the locomotive as now, it will be almost impossible to tell what the original issue was. I would suggest that you send the locos back to us and we will take a look and see if we can determine the original problem and offer suggestions for resolution.

Excellent review....I've subscribed!

Cheers!
      Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Hi Joel. Thank you for your response and offer to help.They were both purchased on Ebay, rather than a dealer, so I understood that the would not be covered by Warranty. The first, a 92088, had originally been purchased from Model Railways Direct and I have asked the Ebay seller if he happens to have a copy of his original invoice. It had been genuinely unused and was tested before sale on a short length of track. The second (92226) had also only been test run but was sold because it would not negotiate Peco Set Track points. The vendor had removed the pony truck spring, invalidating the Warranty on any case. Both locos have the "W" mark on the end of the box. I will see if I can post a short video clip showing the problem. Should they be returned to you of DCC Supplies?

Comment

Hi again Joel

Here are 2 pictures showing what happens when low power is applied. As you can see the loco. first tips to the left, with the r.h, drivers completely off the rails. With a little more power, the loco. sits back on the track and the tender leans to the right and derails. If any more power is applied in the forward direction, the motor/worm spins without any loco. movement. In reverse, the loco. moves jerkily. Apart from removing the loco. body and worm cover (to check that the loco moves freely without the worm engaged) and running-in for an hour in each direction, I have done nothing to the loco..

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by doug22150 View Post
            Hi again Joel

Here are 2 pictures showing what happens when low power is applied. As you can see the loco. first tips to the left, with the r.h, drivers completely off the rails. With a little more power, the loco. sits back on the track and the tender leans to the right and derails. If any more power is applied in the forward direction, the motor/worm spins without any loco. movement. In reverse, the loco. moves jerkily. Apart from removing the loco. body and worm cover (to check that the loco moves freely without the worm engaged) and running-in for an hour in each direction, I have done nothing to the loco..

Regards
            Oh dear me!

I am reminded about "DUNCAN" the little narrow gauge engine from the "Thin Controller's" Railway from the popular TV series "Thomas the Tank Engine and friends", Duncan always loved to rock and roll untill one day he derailed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF8DFS5Y8v0
            Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Good news! Having put both locos to one side for a day or so, I had an idea! I have now successfully replaced the 16 tooth gears in both locos. with Farish 16 tooth gears. The trick was to pack out the Farish gears slightly on each side to make them the same overall width as the original Dapol gears. I did so thanks to an old piece of Plastruct tube that I found from about 40 years ago! The internal diameter was exactly the same as the stub axle that the 16 tooth gears are mounted on and the external diameter just small enough to clear the gear teeth. I cut slivers off this tube and selected the appropriate thickness to glue on each side of the Farish gears. to my utter amazement, once I installed these replacements in both locos, they both ran perfectly. I'm now the very happy owner of 2 smooth and quietly-running 9Fs!

Comment

Working...
              X