Noisy Pannier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Pannier

I have a LT pannier which runs beautifully forwards but sounds like a demented wasp running backwards. The loco has been lubricated and properly run in but shows no sign of getting better. Does anyone have any tips for quietening it down?

Haha, great description ;-) !.... but sorry to hear your loco is afflicted as such. I've not got a Pannier, but I have the same problem with my class 67s.... less of an issue for a loco which looks the same both ends.

I found that the noise seemed to be caused by the motor rotation making the body shell vibrate, so I stuck a strip of rubber (electrical) tape along the inside of the body shell. This helps dampen the vibration, but doesn't eliminate it.

To be honest, I have quite a few locos like this; both Dapol and Farish, so I reckon it's probably a common problem. Also, in my experience, no amount of running in, or lubrication eliminates the problem - it's always going to have that issue.

Comment

Hi, Daftbovine ,
      Something is not right for sure. There are a number of parts involved, but considering the construction, my money would be on the motor; this contains components that are the most directionally sensitive, and operates at a high RPM so will produce high frequency 'Wasp' like sounds.
      You could try extended backwards running as this may cure the issue, but for long term piece of mind I suggest an exchange or repair. - If repair then please contact DCC Supplies. Any issues or questions please PM or email me.
      Regards
      Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your reply, the pannier is out of guarantee but my main problem is that I live in South Africa and our postal service is absolutely dreadful, so even if I did send the loco in for repair, you or I might never see it again. I will try some prolonged running in reverse but failing that will run it forwards only.

JR_P thanks for your suggestions, I did attempt to remove the loco body but it was such a finicky job that my courage failed me, I was too scared of breaking things off.

Comment

Working...
        X