Chiltern MK 3 With DVT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiltern MK 3 With DVT

I know this might be abit cheeky to ask but with the class 68 Chiltern locos coming, has it been considered about MK3 rolling stock being done for these locos with the possibility of a Chiltern livered DVT thrown into it as well?

The set to do would be the slam-door commuter set - the others all have power doors and look very different.

Comment

@Dan that suggestion to me sounds sensible...
      Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

I would love to have a Chiltern slam door set. The DVT would need to be modified to include the grilles for the generator set that is in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post
          I would love to have a Chiltern slam door set. The DVT would need to be modified to include the grilles for the generator set that is in them.
          That would probably require new tooling, which wouldn't be financially viable given that there are so few of them and there is only one livery. I'd settle for the standard DVT given that the other option is likely to be no set at all!

Comment

• chriswrightmk
            chriswrightmk commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree Chiltern Mainline livery looks good and one of the three coach sets has not had doors modified. Chiltern managers are usually helpful on projects. A very go ahead team.

• Alistair
            Alistair commented
            Editing a comment
            A helpful person in Chiltern. I do try my best not to be. 😁

Neil has now had pictures of the slam door coaches and been given the details on the few differences within the set and the correct formation of the set, as it ran on Monday 2nd October.

Plus there are 4 modified sets with the electric plug doors (AL01-04) and 1 slam door set (AL05).

The slam door coaches have been seen anywhere from Marylebone up to Stourbridge Junction (on some selected class 68 test runs only, not been there in service yet but I am trying to sort that one out 😉) and as singles on refurb trips behind either DCR 56104 or a DCR 31, being hauled from Cardiff Canton works back into Wembley depot.

The slam door set is a very easy set to do as it is just 5 TSO and 2 FO. Just needs a new coat of paint and they are good to go. You could also get away with having an Arriva Trains Wales FO and a mix of Blue and greys and new livery coaches. Same as it ran during the latter part of last year and in to early January 2017 during the refurb program.

Just got to keep twisting Neil’s arm and hope that the Chiltern Livery 68s sell well enough to make it worthwhile. So if you want the coaches buy the loco first thing soon as it arrives, so that there is more chance of it happening.

You can’t tell that I really want a set (or 2) can you! 😁🤞🏻

I am with you @Alastair. And I am quite happy for the DVT to be the original version without the auxiliary power unit grilles. I’ll do those myself.
          Last edited by woodbury22uk; 14 October 2017, 10:20. Reason: spelling

Comment

• chriswrightmk
            chriswrightmk commented
            Editing a comment
            Very Good reply from Alistair.. Hope that a set is made. or t least an FO and TSO which can be renumbered. What are coach numbers?

• Alistair
            Alistair commented
            Editing a comment
            I can sort these out after they make them as I am very hopeful that a full set may get done.

The eight coaches (of which one will normally be spare) in the slam-door set are 12017, 12119, 11029, 12094, 12043, 12036, 12054, 11031. The DVT can be any of the six in the fleet. Although two of the coaches are numbered as FOs, they are actually now TSOs, having been fitted with standard-class interiors - something important to note if making models of them. I don't know why they weren't renumbered - it is normal practice to do that.

The ATW TSOs were all also former FOs, which have been re-seated as standard class, but they have been renumbered to reflect this. One of them (12182, I think) was loaned to Chiltern for a while. Its branding was removed, but no changes other than that, and it was used for several months while Chiltern's own coaches were being cycled through the works. A while prior to that, an ATW DVT was also loaned to Chiltern for a while.

There are no FOs in either the Chiltern or the ATW fleets - all the open carriages are TSOs, and the buffets with the first-class seating are RFMs (of which the four Chiltern ones have been heavily modified.
          Last edited by DavidInYork; 14 October 2017, 17:26.

Comment

Chiltern Railways have a DVT (82302) in Xmas livery with Santa on the side! I wonder if that might go down well as talking point on many a layout? A Club Special perhaps? Photo on Rail of 20/12/17 (page14. Press release on Chiltern Rlys website)

Comment

That would be the special wrap ready for our charity ‘Day out in London with Santa’ train on the 16th Dec

Comment

Class 68, Oxford Flyer, is great, would love the coaches!

Comment

The Chiltern Planning office has been invaded by a pair of 68s. Cracking models love all of the pipe work fitted on the front end. Can wait to play with them shame that I have to wait till I get home on Saturday.

Comment

Delighted with my Chiltern Class 68. Seems to be perfectly speed matched with the DRS one, so could top and tail a flask train with no issues at all. Now we just need the Chiltern Banbury set in Mainline livery to round things off.

Comment

Passing through Marylebone today I paid attention to a Mainline set with the sliding plug doors to confirm the differences from standard Mk3a coaches. I saw the same set twice as empty stock for the 11.10 Marylebone - Birmingham Moor Street, and then as the 16.15 Marylebone - Kidderminster. The formation Northbound was 68010 “Oxford Flyer”, TSOs 12620, 12623, 12615, 12613, 12602, 10272 (Business Zone with catering section leading), 82303 DVT. All the slam doors in the TSOs have been replaced with the plug doors with triangular windows. The catering end of 10272 has slam doors, with plug doors at the saloon end. 82303 has a grille replacing the bodyside doors nearer the cab. 12620 and 12602 have the original 8 large windows on each side as per a normal Mk3a. The data panel shows these as AC235A. 12623, 12615, and 12613 have an extended toilet compartment at one end, and the first full size window at that end on that side has been reduced in length. These are AC236A.
                      The two photos show the differing window arrangement.

More than before I am of the opinion that the remaining slam door set used between Banbury and Marylebone would be the best for Dapol to reproduce if using the existing mould. The plug door coaches would be compromised by both the doors and the window layout. Be interested to hear other views.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC03400.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	6985Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC03398.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.41 MB ID:	6984

Last edited by woodbury22uk; 5 March 2018, 23:45.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                        JeremiahBunyan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Are these doors wider by any chance?

Yes they are wider.

Comment

• DavidInYork
                        DavidInYork commented
                        Editing a comment
                        And they are set in from the ends, whereas the slam doors wrap around the corner of the coach.

Alistair Is there still a catering car in the Banbury set, please? Passed Wembley twice but too quickly yesterday for me to see! Think there was a DRS liveried 68 on that train,

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                        Joel Dapol commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Do we have the coach numbers for the Banbury set please?

• woodbury22uk
                        woodbury22uk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Look under Chiltern Mainline on this page. The Banbury set is AL05, and all the coaches are standard class TSO although two still have their original FO running numbers. http://abrail.co.uk/lhcsstockformations.htm

See also comment #15.1 under this thread which gives the actual set operating on Tuesday 6 March 2018.

• Joel Dapol
                        Joel Dapol commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you, much appreciated.
                    Working...
                    X