Mk3 Sleepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mk3 Sleepers

Now that it has been publically announced by *two* manufacturers that they will be producing a Class 92, including in Caledonian Sleeper livery, for which there seems to be much interest (myself included), maybe now it is time for Dapol to commit to Mk3 sleepers.... i mean, what is a CS 92 supposed to haul if there isn't any Mk3 sleeper stock ;-) ?!

I think it would be silly not to do so...If Dapol miss the boat with this, I know someone or the other (I know two companies) will crowd-fund the model and get it into the market.
    Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion, the Caledonian Sleeper is a fantastic livery. I wish I had taken the opertunity to use the service when she used to work off Aberdeen.
      Regards
      Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

This worth considering although Farish did some versions. These ran in rakes so several (up to16?) would be needed. Presumably the main re-drawing of CADs is the sides. A range of liveries are possible. blue/grey, Executive (both versions),Scotrail?,Caledonian -old and new, West Coast, Great Western -fag packet and latest, Currently mainly Great Western and West Coast with East coast diversions A leaflet from 1988 shows Pool was served, Barrow, Liverpool and Manchester, Holyhead, tranraer and other places not served now. Could be a goer. Not seen much written on this though.

Comment

• CaleyDave
          CaleyDave commented
          Editing a comment
          To Help out with some of the question marks. The Caledonian Sleeper currently runs in a rake of 16 coaches with 12 Sleepers being limited by platform length at London so even historically this is likely to be the longest train possible.

To add what I know to the liveries list; Yest there were a couple of Scotrail painted Sleepers in the 1980's on internal Scottish services until these were withdrawn. Traditionally Some Swallow/Swift MK3 sleepers had white roofs and were ran by the charter trains division of BR.
          The Caledonian sleeper has seen 3 colour schemes and 1 variation since Privatization; National express 2 tone purple, Debranded National express Purple (missing lower stripe), First Caledonian Sleeper and Serco Midnight Teal.

On my latest U.K. Trip I did three trips on the Caledonian sleeper. Returns from London to Inverness and Aberdeen and a single to Edinburgh (returned on Virgin East Coast). First trip lounge car closed due to electrical problems on way up. To me the lounge car is a key part of the experience. Return from Aberdeen I "sampled" a few! Whiskys.
        i have the Electra vinyls for the livery to do the Fort William portion.

Comment

Mark 5 stock (when it arrives!) ;-)

I agree with Trev that the lounge car is a real highlight of a trip on the sleeper - unfortunately you really need Mk2s for the lounge car and seated car.

Cheers, Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mike View Post
            Mark 5 stock (when it arrives!) ;-)

I agree with Trev that the lounge car is a real highlight of a trip on the sleeper - unfortunately you really need Mk2s for the lounge car and seated car.

Cheers, Mike
            Indeed - only the sleeper coaches are mk3s; the others are mk2s - I believe this is due to platform length at Euston. The train only just fits, and if the mk2s were replaced with mk3s it wouldn't.

The other sleeper, the Penzance one, does use Mk3s throughout, with the brake being the unusual Mk3b BFO, of which only three were ever built.

Comment

Would it be possible to produce Mk3b BFO with the rear red lights? Would make an unusual model for sure and would finish the rake of nicely, though with (limited?) use and liveries may make it prohibitive?

Comment

For both Modern Sleeper it is the Brakes, rather than the lounge cars, which would be the problem.
                The Night Riviera Uses coaches similar to the FO and RFM currently in Dapols Range. This would need a MK3B BFO as others have said.
                The Caledonian Sleeper uses as a lounge car either a MK2f RFB (2) or a mk2f RLO (9). The RFB is currently in the Farish catalogue. Some RLO are visually similar the RFB and others are former FO with some of the windows painted over. The Brake coach used is a mk2e BUO. This would require a unique bodyshell as it is the only mk2 with a reduced guards compartment.

The CAF MK5 coaches would be welcome and I would hope Dapol will conciser the Transpennie coaches but unless there is some overlap between body shells I fear the Caledonian sleepers could be too varied to be viable. The Franchise document contains plans detailing a total of 5 different mk5 coaches for the Caledonian sleeper all with different window arrangements.
                The MK3 sleepers at least have the advantage of 1 single body shell for 3 variations (SLE/SLEP/SLED)

Comment

On the cover? of the Rail express calender is a pic of two sleepers and a virgin lounge and a Intercity BSO - as result of failures of stock now inverness do not do the maintenance on the stock... however both these coaches are on the forthcoming Farish releases! Whilst it was 73/ 9 hauled it could have been 67 ! so we can repaint models or use rule 1 but it does mean a real formation possible with Dapol doing the honours.
                  It is useful that so many Mk3 sleepers are on preserved railways it would be possible to measure and photograph all the details with ease. I just live in hope and as soon as my 3D print cut and shunts get finished you know what will happen..

Comment

With that being the case Robert, you need to pull your finger out and get it finished! If only for the rest of us.

Looking forward to helping at the Glasgow show in Feb, as I am planning on a trip to London after work and jumping on the sleeper to go all the way to Fort William. Then come back down to Glasgow for the show. Should be a fun day trip.

Alistair

Comment

I have a nicely repainted blue-grey Mk3 Sleeper just down the road at Ferry Meadows (Nene Valley) - I'm sure I could get access for a a measuring party.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                        JeremiahBunyan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oooo Dapol *nudge nudge wink wink*

• Joel Dapol
                        Joel Dapol commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Excellent, I am think Andy has one lined up as well but I will give him a nudge.

• DavidInYork
                        DavidInYork commented
                        Editing a comment
                        There's certainly no shortage of static MK3 sleepers! Quite a number were sold to preserved lines who use them as overnight volunteer accommodation.

Hope Andy got the nudge or does he need a wink too as I do like the idea?

Comment

I'd definitely be up for at least 12 sleepers in BR colours.. Blue/grey, Executive and Swallow.. probably 4 of each.

Cheers
                        Mark

Comment

Any news on these? No news posted since they were announced and they are supposedly due this quarter.

Comment

Working...
                          X