No announcement yet.

Maunsell Coaches - 2 new coaches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a response above, Richard said that he hoped to have decorated samples of the new coaches by the end of the year. I was wondering if the samples had been received. If so, would it be possible to post some pictures and if not, when are these samples now due?

By the way, a belated happy New Year to all at Dapol.

Martin

Comment

Thought I would also bump this thread along, as the Digest has been very quiet for me the past few months. Is it because all the gossip/news is on the club members only section?

So - how are these two coaches coming on, and what is the realistic timescale for production runs in the three current liveries (given that I want four 4-compartment brakes and two composite brakes in each BR livery).

Comment

• Richard Dapol
        Richard Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Bob, Apologies for late reply and unfortunately a couple of other projects have taken priority, however I shall be looking at finalising the decorations early next month. The factories will be closed this weekend for new year celebrations and open again in around two weeks time, so I need to get this information to them before they return to work.
        Thankyou for your interest in these carriages Richard

Just seen the recent announcement on the main site. Hoping beyond hope that the maunsell BCK and 4 compartment brake third are not caught up in this?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
        Joel Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Paul, no these are already tooled and are in decoration. We are aiming for a summer release.

• Paul South Midlands
        Editing a comment
        Many thanks Joel. They are much looked forward to and I'm sure will sell like hotcakes (hopefully the major sellers will soon allow advance ordering)

I'd second Paul's comment. N gaugers have been waiting forever for BCK and 4 compartment brake thirds of the Big four

Comment

• Paul South Midlands
        Editing a comment
        They are ok and still on schedule - see Joels post in response to my commnt

Joel has said that the deferments affect only new tooling so hopefully this project is ongoing.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
        JeremiahBunyan commented
        Editing a comment
        IIRC weren't the tooled up samples for these shown a while ago? If it has then I think this won't really be affected. It's only for those models that are in/about to get into the tooling phase which is what I gathered from their post.

However I wish Dapol well, and for their own sake I hope Joel Dapol or Neil Dapol or Richard Dapol update each product as soon as they can. Forums are going completely insane with people and their assumptions and theories.

• Paul South Midlands
        Editing a comment
        were ok - see Joels response to my comment

Any news on these?

Comment

• Richard Dapol
        Richard Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Paul,
        They have taken a bit of a back seat, but now artwork is being produced. We shall be offering a set of three carriages - two 4compt. brake and one composite in three liveries. Also the four compartment brake will be available as loose vehicles and match up with the composites previously produced.
        The six compartment composite will again be in three liveries - Lined Olive Green, Crimson & Cream and Southern Green.
        Thanks for your interest. Richard

Many thanks Richard, really looking forward to these

Comment

Looking forward to the three carriage set coming out

Comment

Hi all, would love to hear from Jeff Easmond with info relating to these 2 coaches (re set numbers for pre & post grouping if possible) and how they will help us form accurate sets, as he does seem to have good resources of information.

Chris

Comment

• Chris Newman
            Chris Newman commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Joel, What can I say except WOW & Awesome!!! didn't quite expect that, but I and I'm sure plenty of others will be extremely grateful for the advance info. Due by Years end is also good news for all, (except for Santa who's gonna have to work a lot harder)LOL).

And IIRC on one of the earlier posts, mention was made of suitable "Loose" stock to follow!! (i'll get my hat & Coat now!) What a way to end the year on a high. Keep up the good work team Dapol!! Regds Chris.

• Mark2016
            Mark2016 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Joel,

Very pleased to hear this is still moving ahead. Will definitely be getting the BR Green 3 coach set.

Mark

• Mark Ellis
            Mark Ellis commented
            Editing a comment
            Looking forward to buying the SR set 394

Having spent a little time this fine Bank Holiday morning in my research, I have put together list of possible Running Numbers for the new coaches. See table below. With respect to the full set offerings, any set numbers that aren't covered by the existing CKs would be reasonable, some people may have preferences, but personally I have no axe to grind either way there...

The BCKs (6565 to 6574) were mainly loose stock, but some were later used in sets in BR days. The 'branch line in BR days' people have already discussed their needs for the BCKs that were included in the branch twin brake sets, and these are listed...

EDIT: Also, I have updated the production list in post #20 with the Crimson/Cream production.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dapol Brakes Running Numbers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	5894
          Last edited by Jeff Eastmond; 29th August 2017, 15:08.

Comment

• Richard Dapol
            Richard Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Jeff
            OK, we are confirming artwork for making samples so we can change the BR(S) Green BCK number to 6567
            Thank you so much for your input.

• Jeff Eastmond
            Jeff Eastmond commented
            Editing a comment
            Many thanks Richard - saves me doing a botch job renumbering one myself....

Jeff, Many thanks for taking the time to post this information, very comprehensive!! It only leaves me to ask a couple more for clarity!!

1)BCK(6) only ten built?--how many survived to nationalisation?
          2)BTK(4) what running numbers please?--and which survived to nationalisation?
          3) the CK's you list obviously go between the BTK, but which way around, first class to which brake, high or low numbered?

Regds Chris (PS may I send you a PM regarding further questions on set numbers/designations, please, to save cluttering this group/thread.)

Comment

If you look back at post #9 in this thread then you'll see the full list of 'low-window' and associated Maunsell vehicles produced, with original set allocations if applicable. All of them, apart from a couple of TKs and an FK survived until 1959-62. The details of [premature] withdrawls and rebuilds are included in the individual coach type descriptions.

The general LSWR and then SR policy was that the first class end of composite vehicles in 3-sets faced the lower-numbered BTK (of whatever type or capacity). The only exception to this were the BRCW-built Bulleid 3-sets 805-29, in which, for some reason, the CKs were originally arranged with the first class end adjacent to the higher-numbered BTK(so), and remained so for the rest of their days...

Where there were more than one intermediate vehicle in a set (ie 4-sets and longer), the intermediate vehicles originally had their corridors alternating in side down the set. In a 4-set with a TK and a CK (for example) the TK was between the lower-numbered BTK and the CK.
            Last edited by Jeff Eastmond; 4th September 2017, 15:33.

Comment

2P-Set formations, 1948-62

Click image for larger version

Name:	Maunsell 2P-sets.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	5901

Last edited by Jeff Eastmond; 29th August 2017, 19:04.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                Chris Newman commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Jeff, another quality batch of information, many thanks.

Chris. (PS may I send you a PM regarding further questions on set numbers/designations "2P--3L"etc, please, to save cluttering this group/thread.)

• Jeff Eastmond
                Jeff Eastmond commented
                Editing a comment
                Sure Chris, ask away...

Could we have an update on when/if the 4 compartment brake 3rds and 3 coach sets are likely to materialise?

Comment

I believe they are in tooling at the moment.
                Regards
                Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• Paul South Midlands
                  Editing a comment
                  Are you sure Neil? Joel Dapol wrote in March (see above post #33.1) " Hi Paul, no these are already tooled and are in decoration. We are aiming for a summer release." ???

I was rather hoping that we might see something at Warley. Have things gone wrong?

• Joel Dapol
                  Joel Dapol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can confirm, they are all tooled and we should have decorated samples soon. If these are okay, then they go into production. I think they will be available early 2018.
              Working...
              X