Maunsell Coaches - 2 new coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maunsell Coaches - 2 new coaches

Work is currently progressing on two new coaches to complement the existing range:
    4 compartment brake 3rd
    6 compartment brake composite

We shall also be offering a 3 car set (2 x 4 Compartment brake 3rd and 1 x composite).
    These will suit our forthcoming BoB models.

These models are currently pending decorated samples
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Good to see sets of Southern coaches being created.

Will there be more than 1 set of numbers available?

Also given the complications in the make up of trains of these coached would it be possible to have a list of some actual consists so buyers can know what to buy and what they ran behind.

Thanks

Iain

Comment

Hi Ian,
      given the complications in the make up of trains of these coached would it be possible to have a list of some actual consists
      Good idea, I shall speak with Richard and put some options and permutations together.

Regards
      Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Ian I have a list I got it from somewhere and have attached it. If that's not acceptable to our moderators they can happily delete it. Arthur (Can't upload it, maybe need permissions, it's an excel file, says it's invalid.)

Comment

Arthur,

Thanks, have picked up the excel sheets from email.

Richard is I understand an expert on the subject of Southern Coaches so a document tailored to the Dapol releases would be useful.

Comment

I have converted Arthur's spreadsheets to .PDF and uploaded them. - There's an awful lot of data in them although I note current product is highlighted.
            Thanks Arthur!

I've passed them to Richard as well and asked if he can post a subset relevant to any current/near future products.
            Copy of Coach Set flagged for Dapol coaches.pdf
            Copy of Coach Set flagged for Dapol coaches2 (002).pdf
            Regards
            Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Might those 4 compartment brake sets include the Weymouth to Waterloo sets 202 and either 201 or 203, please

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Ellis View Post
                Might those 4 compartment brake sets include the Weymouth to Waterloo sets 202 and either 201 or 203, please
                No, because those sets were comprised of 'high-window' stock, the Dapol Maunsells are 'low window'.

Set 203 contained only one Composite, either 5636 or 5637.
                Last edited by Jeff Eastmond; 15 June 2016, 18:30.

Comment

For some reason I can't see anything in the links in Andy Dapol's post above, but if it's any help here is a print of my record of the 'Low-window' Maunsells

Click image for larger version

Name:	Maunsells Low-window.png
Views:	211
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	3153

Last edited by Jeff Eastmond; 16 October 2016, 03:54. Reason: Updated with restaurant vehicles

Comment

Hi Jeff
                    Thank you for your list so very helpful, especially the sets 390 to 399, a couple of which we shall use for our releases.
                    As these sets were originally designed for the West of England services do you have any details of them being combined and how many of the Brake compo would be included in a train?
                    Your help is much appreciated

Comment

The 3-sets 'P' (390-399, 445-448), rarely saw service together in the same train. The diagrams for these sets used 11 on a regular basis, leaving three spare for maintenance and other uses. One set was regularly augmented with a Diner First and Open Third on the Weymouth portion of the 'Bournemouth Limited' train.

The diagrams covered services to Bournemouth, Weymouth, Dorchester, Salisbury and Plymouth. If they were used in longer trains it was usually with 'other stock'. In the early days this would be LSWR 'Ironclad' dining sets, later with the 'high window' Maunsell replacements for the 'Ironclad's. When more 3-sets of the 'high window' variety (201, 221-232, et al) became available, the diagrams for the 'low window' sets changed to just Waterloo-Bournemouth/Weymouth, Waterloo-Plymouth and Basingstoke-York-Newcastle. The latter diagram was taken over by other stock after the war, at the same time the Plymouth diagrams were cut back to Salisbury. By 1953, 391-395 were in use between Bournemouth West and Bath over the Somerset and Dorset, the others were in diagrams for Waterloo-'West of England' which included Weymouth, Salisbury and the 'Withered Arm' (North Devon/Cornwall). In 1960 the all the remaining sets (390/394-399/446) were on the S&D.

The Brake Composites were built for, and allocated to, the 'Atlantic Coast Express', five for each train; so the only time they would have worked with the 3-sets in when one was included in the 'ACE', which, apparently, was a rare event. The portions to Ilfracombe, Torrington, Plymouth, Padstow and Bude were formed of, or included, a BCK.

The 'Boat' stock was a pool of vehicles from which a Victoria-Newhaven Boat train was formed commensurate with the expected loading; the regular formation was only five or six coaches, viz: BSK-SK-FK-Pullman First-BSK, with a TK inserted between the Pullman and the last BSK if necessary for the evening sailings.
                      Last edited by Jeff Eastmond; 16 October 2016, 11:18.

Comment

As well as producing the 3-sets when you do get to production for the 4-compartment BTKs, it would be useful for those who already have the CKs from the earlier releases if the separate individual coaches produced were a matching pair to one of the numbered CKs already available.

Comment

• Mark Ellis
                          Mark Ellis commented
                          Editing a comment
                          With all your knowledge on this, Jeff - I wonder if you could do a list of the Dapol item numbers that ran together.
                          i.e 2P-012-003 ran with 2P-XXX-XXX, etc. Would be greatly appreciated

• Jeff Eastmond
                          Jeff Eastmond commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Your wish is my command - can't attach an image here, so have made it a separate post later in the topic.

• Mark Ellis
                          Mark Ellis commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks, Jeff

Hi Jeff
                        Many thanks for your concise details of train movements and setups this information will certainly help with productions especially helpful the sets later operating on the S & D.
                        very good point about offering a pair of 4-compartment BTKs to match up with the compos already released.
                        Thanks again for your input

Comment

• Bob G
                          Bob G commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have two compos in BR (S) green waiting for 4x four compartment BTKs. I had previously bought the six compartment BTKs, and then when I found out these ran with the full thirds and full firsts I bought four of those too, those and sold on a pair of brakes, so please don't assume that everyone will want a set of all three coaches.
                          IIRC there were also four car sets used on the SR's eastern section (SECR routes) which was deep into Schools territory.
                          This Maunsell coach owning lark is getting very expensive LOL. I will be buying the crimson/cream ones next!
                          Bob

• Jeff Eastmond
                          Jeff Eastmond commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The four-coach sets on the Eastern section were formed from Restriction 1 (8' 6" width) coaches, a different beast to the current Restriction 4 (9' 0" width) stock on offer.

Like you, I have some CKs awaiting the 4-cpt BTKs, but will also be interested in complete sets, particularly if they come fully labelled, including the set numbers on the end of the brake vehicles.
                          Last edited by Jeff Eastmond; 11 July 2016, 19:42.

Hi

Can we have a/some set(s) suitable for the Central and Eastern sections too please?

Thaks

Gerry

Comment

The sets 469 and 470 were Central Section sets, initially for Worthing and Eastbourne (respectively) to London peak period services. In later years they were modified (as in the table above), 469 being transferred to the Eastern Section in 1933, and 470 in 1941, both working services from Victoria over unrestricted routes to Ramsgate.

The Eastern Section is a lot more complicated, as they had narrower stock due to clearance issues. The current Dapol releases are Restriction 4 (9' width). For services in Kent, Restriction 1 (8' 6" wide) stock was needed for the Kent Coast routes, and for the Tonbridge-Hastings line, Restriction 0 (8' wide) stock was built. The most noticeable feature of the narrower stock is that the sides of the coaches are flat (or almost, in the case of the R1 stock) and there is no narrowing for the brake compartments, or Guard's duckets.

No R0 'low-window' stock was built; of the 'low window' R1 stock, there were only four 8-car sets (three of which were used for Eastbourne services on the Central and the other on the Kent Coast) and six 4-car sets (all on Kent Coast).
                          Last edited by Jeff Eastmond; 19 June 2016, 19:55.

Comment

Working...
                          X