• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2P-012-252 Maunsell SR Lined Green 6 Coach Set

Where did this SR set run?

http://dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=p...roduct_id=2151

Put the second link up as the Dapol website isn't showing any photos

http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk...n-6-Coach-Set/
    Last edited by Mark Ellis; 19 June 2016, 10:08.

Hi Mark.
    This is set 469, which was a six (or eight) car set comprising BTK - TK - TK - FK - (FK - FK) - TK - BTK and the livery is pre WW2 Southern livery, i.e. 1927 - 1939 ish.
    It was usually rostered for commuter traffic from Victoria to Worthing. The additional FKs were for the well heeled London commuters and I understand were possibly added in the summer months.
    The partner set 470 ran Victoria - Eastbourne.
    It is a good match for the Schools class in fact.

Similar (mostly 4 car) sets would however have run to the Kent coast with Schools class locos, or 3 car sets on the Bournemouth/Weymouth/Salisbury/West of England routes, although the coaches might have been slightly different in design (e.g. high window on the corridor side, or fewer compartments in the brake coaches).

There is a link to the SEMG online spreadsheet here: http://www.semgonline.com/coach/sets.html which has loads of info.

Comment

Quicker would be looking at the posts in the '2 new coaches' thread.

The -252 set is set 469 in its 1933-1944 formation, but with the lining, it would only be valid pretty close to the beginning of that timeframe. The set was reformed (2x FK removed) from its original Worthing-London formation when displaced by the new EMUs of the Brighton Line Electrification (which included the West Coastway line to Worthing). At about the same time, set 470 was completely gutted and its two BTKs were joined by a 'high-window' Corridor Composite. It had also been working Worthing-London services since it was transferred in 1927 (about 6 months after it started) from the Eastbourne service it had been working after clearance issues in Lewes Tunnel (hence the later R1 'low-window' sets ordered for the Eastbourne services).

469 was transferred to Kent Coast services, where it was pretty tightly diagrammed to keep it to lines where R4 stock could run safely. Set 470 worked London-Hastings via Eastbourne (the clearance issues in Lewes having been circumvented) until about 1941, where it, too, was transferred to the Eastern Section, running similar services to 469.

@Mark: I have this set - some of the coaches duplicate previous individual releases and some of the coaches in the -251 set included with the initial lined Olive Green release. There is no set numbers on the end, but suitable decals can be obtained from Fox Transfers (FRH2404/30 or /35), but it would have to use the individual numbers provided.
      Last edited by Jeff Eastmond; 19 June 2016, 20:05.

Comment

• Chris Newman
        Chris Newman commented
        Editing a comment
        Jeff, as you seem to have good knowledge of the southern stock, can you recommend a Fox Transfer set/s for renumbering coaches as well for post nationalisation and would the Set Number Transfers be the same??

Jeff Thanks for taking the time and effort to compile that list for me, it will certainly save a lot of time searching sites, a lot of time trying to find what is right!!!
        Last edited by Chris Newman; 29 June 2016, 01:47. Reason: reply and thanks to Jeff for his time & Effort

• Jeff Eastmond
        Jeff Eastmond commented
        Editing a comment
        Having had a look in my Decal file, I have the following for renumbering 60's coaching stock:
        NGS/Modelmaster set 2403 - running numbers for BR(S) Mark 1s
        NGS/Modelmaster set 2415 - running numbers, lettering and set numbers for BR(S) coaches (pre-Group, Maunsell, Bulleid and Mark 1) [15 sets, plus running numbers for the coaches in those sets - but there are errors in this]
        Cambridge Custom Transfers (CCT) BL32/2mm - BR(S) set numbering (Bulleid and Mark 1) [60 sets]
        CCT BL141/2mm - Running numbers for sets on BL32 (Bulleid)
        CCT BL142/2mm - Running numbers for sets on BL32 (Mark 1)
        Fox Transfers FRH2027/25N - Set numbers for BR(S) Green coach sets [22 sets plus individual numbers]
        Fox Transfers FRH2027/1S - running numbers for BR(S) Mark 1s [some of these duplicate ones in the NGS set]
        Fox Transfers FRH2019/6 - Yellow First Class stripe (for applying to coaches that don't have one applied).
        Last edited by Jeff Eastmond; 28 June 2016, 22:31.

Thanks. It's a shame that they didn't include the SR set number in the description.

Comment

• Chris Newman
        Chris Newman commented
        Editing a comment
        Have to Agree with that---also with the BR coaches they do not use SxxxS (prefix+suffix missing) which is how I missed the first issue)

Has there been a 6 set of BR(S) coaches --what was the catalogue/item number please.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
        Joel Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Bob, These are planned and livery samples are shown on the digest see https://digest.dapol.co.uk/forum/n-g...ream-maunsells

• Bob G
        Bob G commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Joel - yes I have seen them. I think I meant a set in a box. A four car set would go well with a schools as discussed.

• Jeff Eastmond
        Jeff Eastmond commented
        Editing a comment
        The Schools would have more likely run with high-window R1/R0 stock on the Eastern Section and high-window R4 stock on the Western.

A 4 coach BR (S) set to compliment the new Schools would go down a treat...

Comment

Can anyone suggest suitable locomotives which are available and are suitable for the Olive Green lined Maunsells please?

Comment

• Jeff Eastmond
          Jeff Eastmond commented
          Editing a comment
          'N' Class, 'Schools', T9, M7 in Olive green livery. The first two should be generally available, the latter ones you might find 2nd hand.

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello Arthur, we are planning another run of schools as well which I am sure will include a suitable livery.
      Working...
      X