New Coaches: Discrepancy in description

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Coaches: Discrepancy in description

Joel Dapol. When Comparing the illustrations of the new coaches and comparing them to the list of catalogue numbers and descriptions, I noticed that the second coach in GWR livery (The BCK) 2P-000-283 is listed as GWR Crest (incorrect) I think it should be GWR "Shirtbutton". However you are to be congratulated on producing the K41 BG!!! should make a lot of people very happy. Chris

Hi Dapol,

I am a bit puzzled what are the coaches in "BR Choc/Cream" are supposed to represent. It looks like GWR livery with the Shirtbutton removed and a "W" prefix added to the running numbers. I am pretty certain that Collett coaches never ran in a livery resembling this.

Also, the GWR adopted grey roofs during WW2. These coaches never had white roofs in BR days.

Last edited by Matt Pinto; 27 February 2020, 11:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Pinto View Post
      Hi Dapol,

I am a bit puzzled what are the coaches in "BR Choc/Cream" are supposed to represent. It looks like GWR livery with the Shirtbutton removed and a "W" prefix added to the running numbers. I am pretty certain that Collett coaches never ran in a livery resembling this.

Surely that's BR western region, Matt?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Ellis View Post
        Surely that's BR western region, Matt?
        It is wrong for BR WR colour schemes on a couple of points:
        1. The roof in BR days was grey, not white.
        2. The droplights were painted cream, not maroon.
        3. These coaches were never painted chocolate and cream in BR days.
        The last point is the crucial one. BR Chocolate and Cream livery was only applied to Mk1 coaches and a handful of catering vehicles. The type of coach that is modelled here was only painted in Crimson & Cream or Maroon liveries during BR days.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Pinto View Post

It is wrong for BR WR colour schemes on a couple of points:
          1. The roof in BR days was grey, not white.
          2. The droplights were painted cream, not maroon.
          3. These coaches were never painted chocolate and cream in BR days.
          The last point is the crucial one. BR Chocolate and Cream livery was only applied to Mk1 coaches and a handful of catering vehicles. The type of coach that is modelled here was only painted in Crimson & Cream or Maroon liveries during BR days.
          Hello Matt,

On the formation of British Railways the national company inherited four coach fleets painted in (at least) four different liveries and across which there would have been hundreds of duplicated numbers. To resolve this quickly a prefix number was added to each regions' coaches.
          The new livery of crimson and cream was applied on new, overhauled and repainted coaches from autumn 1948 and would not have been seen widely on general service stock until late 1949. However it takes many years to repaint a fleet of thousands of coaches, most notably a significant number of coaches in secondary service on the Southern had not made it to 1948 livery before the reversion to green in 1957. Repaint periods for coaching stock would typically be in the region of 4 to 7 years, depending on the condition of the existing paint and profile of the services operated.

The Collett coach livery you are looking at therefore depicts a coach running in GWR livery under British Railways ownership, with GWR logos removed and W prefix, but not yet fully repainted. This would apply roughly to the period from 1948 to circa 1952, by which time the majority of mainline stock would likely have been repainted.

I believe you are correct about the roof colour.

Comment

Working...
          X