Future models. N Gauge Freight and wagons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Future models. N Gauge Freight and wagons

We're interested in your thoughts for future models and will be posting a series of polls for each scale and category. This poll is for N gauge Wagons and freight, including departmental types.
    As a starting point we'd like to see your ideas on the type, motive power and era of models you would like to see produced. Ideas and discussions welcome!

Thanks for your help!
    Departmental
    43.42%
    Private Owner
    18.42%
    Era: 1800 - 1922 (Pre-grouping)
    10.53%
    Era: 1923 - 1947 (GWR, LMS, SR & LNER)
    22.37%
    Era: 1948 - 1966 (BR 'Crested')
    39.47%
    Era: 1967 - 1971 (BR Blue Pre-TOPS)
    19.74%
    Era: 1972 - 1982 (BR Blue TOPS)
    21.05%
    Era 1983 - 1994 (BR Sectors)
    26.32%
    Era 1995 - Present Day (Privatisation)
    39.47%
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Pre grouping Highland and other scottish lines would help a few and good source books available.
    I guess modernised GW bogie stock a good seller..
    a decent n redition of the class B tank - as in dapol/ airfix 00 kit often talked about
    departmentals - any and everything look to float boats - newest point carriers if you want a super model..
    robert

Comment

A Class B tank would be really good.

Comment

• Edward Sissling
        Edward Sissling commented
        Editing a comment
        The Air Ministry tank wagons would be a good one to do.

good shout above for class b tank

an updated TEA wagon even as the farish one is very old now?

some other chemical tank maybe? the bogie ones that had chloride or something in them? they were white with a red stripe on them. don't know the tops code.

tim

Comment

• IainDSmith
        IainDSmith commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Tim,

Revolution are producing one of the TEA tank wagons to modern standards, so the options are somewhat narrowed.

Regards

Iain

Re run of the FEA's and some of the nice shiny red DB Schenker MXA's

Comment

Some RTR timber wagons representing the current log trains hailed by the 66's and 56's!

Comment

I'd really like to see a modern 100T TDA tank wagon.
          Last edited by JeremiahBunyan; 15 June 2016, 03:45.
          Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

For me it would have to be stone hoppers and boxes to go with the new class 59. Preferably Yeoman and ARC.

Cheers
            Mark

Comment

Arbel
              Eco Fret 2 / 3 car
              KTA (shrink ray)

Cheers, Mark.

Comment

Agree on the stone boxes to go behind the 59.... How about Cranes or a Tamper?

Regards

Tony

Comment

Drax Biomass wagons !

Comment

• Alistair
                    Alistair commented
                    Editing a comment
                    because Drax own the design for the wagons, you have to get the licence from them. when Hornby revealed theirs another manufacturer asked if he could produce them in N. The basic answer was no and that they weren't too bothered about having an N gauge version released. Annoying because I would have bought a fair few of them as they are great looking wagons.

• JeremiahBunyan
                    JeremiahBunyan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would've had a whole rake!

National power JHA , KQA Pocket wagon and the New IDA " lowliner "

Comment

Palvan, Palbrick & LMS/BR 21T Coke Hopper.

Comment

• Edward Sissling
                      Edward Sissling commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Would buy all of those in some quantity.

Hi Andy,

I think from Dapol's point of view looking at your own locos (to encourage cross-sales) and the models you have in OO (where you already have research/CADs etc) are a good starting point.

I'd say the obvious opener is the KQA/KTA pocket wagon. This goes well with your FEA-Bs and your Freightliner 66s and 86s.
                    Similarly, the Davis low-liner intermodal wagon goes well with your upcoming DRS 68 as well as DRS 66s already out there.
                    I assume the Freightliner HIAs and MJAs are already in development.

In terms of new tooling, I think you should consider something for your forthcoming Class 59s. At the moment the only vaguely suitable wagons available (other than for engineers trains) are the ex-TPM tippler wagons and the very old Farish PGAs, neither of which are readily available in trainload quantities. For me the obvious candidate is the O&K JHA bogie hopper, which is has two liveries (original and revised) and is sufficiently different to anything else out there. The ARC JHA hopper would be good but I think the inside-bearing bogies would be a challenge.

cheers

Ben A.

Comment

How about shrinking the MRAs?

Comment

• Alistair
                        Alistair commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think that the Revolution method of asking for expressions of interest would work quite well here, put the option out there to see if there is the market there for them. I think that in 00 this is quite a long set of wagons and if you don't have a large layout they can swamp the area. Where in N a 5 set isn't a big thing and most people would be able to run a short set or could build them together. You could get rid of a few things that the 00 one had, like the posable buckets, opening flaps etc. which would bring the pice down. Don't discount the power of NR yellow it seems to sell very well.

• mike
                        mike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What Alistair has said is our experience (Revolution Trains) ie that modern block trains don't necessarily sell better in OO than N for space reasons ie very few OO modellers have space for full rakes. So although there are more OO modellers than N that doesn't necessarily translate into more sales. I'm pretty sure the MRAs would be a hit in N.

• baister1
                        baister1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I too feel this would be more popular in N for space reasons. Generally NR yellow has a huge following too.
                    Working...
                    X