• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cape Town Trev
    commented on 's reply
    And me too, especially Merseyrail.

• JeremiahBunyan
    commented on 's reply
    I should indeed...! :-P If only I had the necessary funds and permissions I would've done this project myself!

• RailGooner
    commented on 's reply
    JeremiahBunyan, you should trademark 'CamCab'! ;-)

• Rowlie
    replied
    I would like to echo the suggestions for classes 507/8 ( by default 313/4/5) and 175.

Leave a comment:

• JeremiahBunyan
    commented on 's reply
    RailGooner ...thanks for your kind words. I fully agree with you. It depends upon the camera. If you use a camera like those used by mobile phones it will get obstructed. However if you use a spy cam it will not have such a wide angle lens and will be suitable for such a thing.

Infact I keep coming up with more ideas on a daily basis. My latest being a fully removable cab at one end. One cab just for the model and the other to enclose a small camera in it, this "CamCab" won't have to have glazing, it can just have a tampo-print of the cab's windscreens and a camera mounted directly to it. Almost like a plug-n-play CamCab that be fitted only when needed. A separate cab with all the glazing etc can be fitted as normal.

• RailGooner
    commented on 's reply
    JeremiahBunyan, I think your idea is eminently practical.

IMHO, for the correct perspective a camera would need to be mounted as near as possible to the driver's eye line. So a full height windscreen isn't necessary. In fact a full width windscreen isn't necessary, with cameras suitably small enough to fit behind even a triple-split windscreen without the window frame obstructing the lens. For an idea of what's possible, just search 'spy camera' on a well known online department store that's infamous for legal tax avoidance.

And this tech can be acquired cheaply too - I estimate that a WiFi enabled camera need add (no more than) £5.00 to the bill of materials (BoM). So adding a camera needn't make the RRP unmarketable.

For myself, I have a vague plan to convert a Class 150/1 to Class 950 and fit a WiFi camera at the same time.

• JeremiahBunyan
    commented on 's reply
    Finsbury Park Please read my previous reply to you. I mentioned a clip-on face for the Tamper. If you've misunderstood my suggestion I'm sorry. Dapol has asked for suggestions. I've given them one. It's upto them if they'd like to use my suggestion and/or modify my suggestion.

My idea isn't impractical, atleast I suggested a model that does three jobs in one go.

Cheers!

• Finsbury Park
    commented on 's reply
    I think you are being needlessly defensive, JB. Firstly, at N scale the bar between the top and bottom windscreens of a P&T tamper would be a significant obstruction to the camera and, secondly, I really don't see the point of Dapol going to all the expense of tooling a model with a camera in it when it is already easily achieved by us modellers using a wagon and a bullet cam. Personally, I would much rather see the company spend that development money on other models than something which is pretty much a novelty and for which there is already the ideal solution available. Sorry that we disagree, but I'm being practical :-)
    Last edited by Finsbury Park; 29 September 2016, 13:33.

• Boco_D2
    commented on 's reply
    Are you saying my suggestion of a r-t-r n gauge class 89 is not guaranteed to be made ;-)

• RailGooner
    commented on 's reply
    Brilliant!

Looks like a Plasser & Theurer 07-275 Switch & Crossing Tamper/Liner. Both cabs have a full width upper windscreen and a 2/3 width lower windscreen.

Other plant with full width upper windscreens include:
    07-16 Universal Tamper/Liner
    07-32 Duomatic Tamper/Liner
    08-4x4/4S-RT Unimat 08-RT Tamper
    08-16/90ZW Split Head Tamper

• emuman
    commented on 's reply
    Very good post. the odd one out is the GW version is that to be 25,000 KV overhead only or is duel voltage. MH.

• JeremiahBunyan
    commented on 's reply
    @Finsbury Park... Firstly I selected the Tamper Unit simply because of it's large single piece windshield. If it's still obstructs the camera lens the most simple mod to such a set up would be having the Tamper's cab front removable when using the camera. That way the camera stay protected when not in use also. I only thought of this idea after Boco_D2 gave his. And the reason why I didn't suggest your idea (which I am sure many would'vve done and/or thought of) is because I wanted something prototypical that can be used on a layout also with some more functionality.
    Re: rubber being deposited on the rails...many brands inc. Hornby make track cleaners using a certain type of rubber. I had one of Hornby's ones ages ago and it was perfect. Moreover don't take my suggestion of "rubber" so seriously. Any material that removes dirt from tracks can be used. Since rubber came to my mind first I suggested it. Dapol will know better.
    So unfortunately I don't see any problem with my idea except the fact that I have no idea about the demand for such a vehicle in N gauge. In my limited time I quickly drew up what you saw, maybe later on I'll ping Joel with a more precise idea of what I have in mind.

@Boco_D2...Oddly enough that came to my mind first, then remembered that the Class 67 would need major re-tooling to have such features. Suggested the Tamper as it would be an addition to the range, it would be fuctional and it would be prototypical in some way or the other (it basically becomes N gauge Permanent Way)

@Joel Dapol...Most welcome, I'll ping you at a later date with a clearer idea of what I have in mind (maybe if I know when your next "Development Meeting" is) I'll be able to give you a better idea...

Cheers!

• Finsbury Park
    replied
    Originally posted by Boco_D2 View Post
    I do feel like a kid in a candy store with this website as I keep thinking of more items I'd like to see
    So, more like a kid in a partially-stocked candy store with a shopkeeper who asks what you like, but with no certainty that you will ever get to eat it

Leave a comment:

• Finsbury Park
    commented on 's reply
    The problem with this idea - indeed using any form of prototypical model to host a miniature camera - is that unless the end of the unit has one big end window/windscreen, the camera's view will be significantly obstructed, which completely defeats the point of it. And if it did have one big end window, people would complain that it doesn't look prototypical. FAR easier simply to do what others do - buy a small camera, mount it on a flat wagon and propel it. Just Google 'bullet cams'. It's very easy to do.

By the way, wouldn't a rubber pad deposit rubber on the rails?
    Last edited by Finsbury Park; 27 September 2016, 13:42.

• JR_P
    commented on 's reply
    I think the cab mounted camera idea is brilliant :-D !.... perhaps it could use Wi-Fi or some such to connect real-time - that would be awesome - also, for anyone with a labyrinth of hidden track work, it could enable you to figure out where any derailed trains are without having to scrabble around in confined spaces 'working blind'.
Working...
X