No announcement yet.

Future models (N Gauge Locomotives)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More weathered locos please. It costs GBP25 for an aftermarket job so this is easy value-added.

Comment

• newportnobby
      newportnobby commented
      Editing a comment
      I do prefer weathered versions and agree Dapol's (based on a Mercig design?) are better than the 'straight line' weathering of Farish, although my J39 and Fairburn are pretty damned good.

• Andy Dapol
      Andy Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      We'll use a number of different sources for masters, including those we produce personally. I find weathering a personal taste as each of us [modellers] prefer subtle (or not so) variations. We will be producing occasional further weathered versions which go beyond the basic 'blow over' in the future.

• newportnobby
      newportnobby commented
      Editing a comment
      That's good to know, Andy. As a transition modeller I prefer all my late crest steamers and diseasels to be filthy - purely as a result of living together, you understand!

• From a commercial perspective I would think T9, GWR Mogul and 2251 classes would be popular. I imagine reworked BR Standards and mainstream GW/SR branchline locos with a long BR history would be perennial sellers.

Comment

• Hailstone
      Hailstone commented
      Editing a comment
      The T9 is currently available from Union mills, the 53xx has been announced by another manufacturer and the 2251 although no longer in production by Peco still turns up on ebay (albeit rarely and expensively!) of the three, the 2251 would be logical as the tender on the Peco one was made oversize to fit the DCC chip that they all came with.

• JeremiahBunyan
      JeremiahBunyan commented
      Editing a comment
      Indeed, the GWR 2251 Class will be the best option...! Followed by a T9.

• Unless I've missed it no one has suggested one of the all time classic British steam locos - the GWR King. Can't be a market if no one mentioned it, or is there?

John

Comment

• newportnobby
      newportnobby commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice idea, but the King is probably too heavy for many of the lines modelled if, like me, you are a bit of a stickler for the rules.
      This might impact on the sales of the model.

• JRS747
      JRS747 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm only a stickler for one rule - rule one!

• I suspect the inside/outside bogie frame on the King would be a challenge. As a double red loco I also think newportnobby is right that even those applying rule 1 would think hard - but run what you want. When DJ models finally get round to the 63XX mogul they'll sell well as its a lovely balanced looking small tender loco.

For dapol the 2251 would be a good seller though I reckon loco drive would be required. My experience of tender drive via drive shafts has been of variable quality running.

I'd have no problem running a Collet Goods on my version of Tintern - (see The Forest of Dean thread on another popular forum). Similarly any of the prairies would probably find a home with me.

For diesels - given the Heljan DMU announcements any chance you could share development costs with them and do a 120 ? I run' what if '
    sessions on Tintern ! A good addition to the Hymek, d6300s and your most excellent 121/122.

regards

Matt Wood
    Last edited by Matt Wood; 10th September 2016, 09:02. Reason: Edited for clarity

Comment

• I tend to stick to classes in operation since 2000, and while some models have come up over the years it can be expensive for second hand models of some of the modern image such as class 220/221 especially in cross country liveries. I have no objection for paying that money brand new.

What I would like to see is some of the desiro family produced ( Class 444/450) and other new classes coming up (Class 800).

However I would be just as happy to see the HST with dcc and sound from factory. Since following the Pendolino from RevolutioN it has up'd my expectations a bit.

Comment

• JR_P
        JR_P commented
        Editing a comment
        Joel Dapol - can you say who 'blocked you?!.... Hitachi, I presume?.... that is quite unreasonable of them, unless they've already permitted another manufacturer exclusive rights.... possibly Kato I would guess - fits with other offerings in Kato's portfolio, ie. modern EMU high-speed trains (from various countries) - they might have snagged it as soon as the contract was awarded to Hitachi.

.... I mean, I can't imagine Bachmann have got in there before you....

Well that is a damn shame, cos I was wanting some of those to go with my FGW HSTs....

• Joel Dapol
        Joel Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't say or comment on the circumstances but we haven't given up completely.

• JeremiahBunyan
        JeremiahBunyan commented
        Editing a comment
        I know Hornby have done Hitachi stuff before (Class 395 Javelin), maybe Hornby have probably shown interest in the latest Hitachi units (probably Hornby-Arnold also?)

• This is my first post and I have read through all 9 pages in hope to not duplicate any suggests and it's good to see the models I would like to see are wanted by others, firstly I would like to echo previous suggestions of the class 87, the 90 as well, but it does seem that farish will eventually update there tooling, hell if we are listing electrics the 89 would be great (although I suspect I will have to keep dreaming on that one). I'd also like to see Western region units such as the 116/7/8 and the 165/6 and I wouldn't mind 168/170/172s any of these everyday units would be most appreciated. The 180 would also be welcomed by myself.

Could we possibly have some reissues and new liveries of certain models? Virgin Voyagers and Virgin livery DVT's are like gold dust on the secondhand market, a return of the 67 would also be appreciated.

I love your HSTs (I have 5 sets) and there are other liveries I'd love to see, Great Western Merlin, FIRST 'Fag Packet', Midland Mainline (Bambi) and GNER, the advantage of the latter two is that they did venture off their standard turf such as when used of summer Saturday specials to the west coast (and most people model summer).

Would it possible to do a class 121 bubble car double packs? I'd love to see a Bedford to Bletchley set of 55023 in BR Green with 55027 in Network Southeast as they ran in the mid 90's. The set could be a motorised unit and a dummy unit.

Thanks for giving us the chance to put in our suggestions.

Last edited by Boco_D2; 11th September 2016, 20:18.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
        Andy Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Boco_D2, Thanks for posting!
        We would find it impossible to comment on each post, but do read them all, and of course the do influence out thinking and planning.

• I had a further thought would the 442 be a decent candidate as it's based on MK3 coaches. There are several liveries the unit has carried and it has a slightly larger route than its original Wessex line to the south coast, as Thameslink use these units on Gatwick services and London Bridge to Brighton/Eastbourne.

Comment

• Kaian
        Kaian commented
        Editing a comment
        A few 442s would be good

• Dapol haven't done much LMS stuff. All I can think of is the Ivatt tank. Neither manufacturer has done that much Southern either. Farish have done a lot of LMS and very little GWR, but of course that is where Dapol have been most prolific.

My suggestion for an LMS loco would be the Fowler dock tank. It would be a nice replacement for the Minitrix one and a useful loco. There are plenty of great larger locos but a lot were once made by Farish or are made in OO by Bachmann so could end up being made by them.

Comment

• How about a GWR 0-4-2 14XX/48XX/58XX Class steam loco to the same standard as the LB&SCR Terrier and GWR Pannier tank you'll produce?
        Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

• Hi Joel Dapol and Andy Dapol - just looking ahead to putting in my Christmas wish-list with the missus (yes, its that time of year already!).... is there *anything* *modern* going to arrive in time for Christmas???!

I'm thinking 67s, HST, etc.... anything....?

I guess there is the *preserved* version of the Flying Scotsman, right?.... that would count, but that is a box set, not just a standalone loco, correct?

.... any wagons....?

Comment

• Andy Dapol
            Andy Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            We are working on getting product delivered, the 33's for example, will be here shortly. I doubt if the HIA's will arrive by year end however. Overall 2017 will see more modern image releases in both locomotives and rolling stock.

• JeremiahBunyan
            JeremiahBunyan commented
            Editing a comment
            @Andy Dapol

Are you'll going to be announcing a 2017 range?

• OK, thanks for the info Andy Dapol - I'll keep an eye out for the HIAs though.... I do like a nice bogie hopper wagon :-)

Comment

• I do feel like a kid in a candy store with this website as I keep thinking of more items I'd like to see, but if you don't ask you don't get. I'd like to put a request in for the HST with buffer beam fitted in intercity swallow livery, with ideally at least one power car in full yellow end.

My other idea (and this could be pie in the sky) how about a dummy loco or wagon fitted with a camera so you can make cab ride videos? Could be a great seller I see a lot of people mention the idea of making there own but not to sure how to go about making one. It could also interest fresh blood into the hobby, which can only be a good thing for everyone.

Comment

• Boco_D2
              Boco_D2 commented
              Editing a comment
              No problem Joel, I'd been thinking about suggesting the idea for a while and thought why not just ask. The photos Jeremiah has provided is the livery I was referring too (Thanks JB).

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              Most welcome Boco!

• JR_P
              JR_P commented
              Editing a comment
              I think the cab mounted camera idea is brilliant :-D !.... perhaps it could use Wi-Fi or some such to connect real-time - that would be awesome - also, for anyone with a labyrinth of hidden track work, it could enable you to figure out where any derailed trains are without having to scrabble around in confined spaces 'working blind'.

• Here's my idea on how a Tamper Unit can be used to "either" house a small onboard camera (the ones used by mobile phones immediately spring to mind) or a tiny rubber pad to wipe the rails... A lot of the Plasser Tamper's have a single piece windshield, these can probably be used to give a clear unobstructed view for the camera lens. The prongs of the actual tamping mechanism can also be used to hide the cleaning mechanism.Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	2744
            Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              RailGooner ...thanks for your kind words. I fully agree with you. It depends upon the camera. If you use a camera like those used by mobile phones it will get obstructed. However if you use a spy cam it will not have such a wide angle lens and will be suitable for such a thing.

Infact I keep coming up with more ideas on a daily basis. My latest being a fully removable cab at one end. One cab just for the model and the other to enclose a small camera in it, this "CamCab" won't have to have glazing, it can just have a tampo-print of the cab's windscreens and a camera mounted directly to it. Almost like a plug-n-play CamCab that be fitted only when needed. A separate cab with all the glazing etc can be fitted as normal.

• RailGooner
              RailGooner commented
              Editing a comment
              JeremiahBunyan, you should trademark 'CamCab'! ;-)

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              I should indeed...! :-P If only I had the necessary funds and permissions I would've done this project myself!

• Originally posted by Boco_D2 View Post
            I do feel like a kid in a candy store with this website as I keep thinking of more items I'd like to see
            So, more like a kid in a partially-stocked candy store with a shopkeeper who asks what you like, but with no certainty that you will ever get to eat it

Comment

• Boco_D2
              Boco_D2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Are you saying my suggestion of a r-t-r n gauge class 89 is not guaranteed to be made ;-)

• I would like to echo the suggestions for classes 507/8 ( by default 313/4/5) and 175.

Comment

• Cape Town Trev
              Cape Town Trev commented
              Editing a comment
              And me too, especially Merseyrail.
          Working...
          X