No announcement yet.

Future models (N Gauge Locomotives)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about the LMS Twins - 10000 and 10001. Different liveries on each loco at different times, so at least LMS black, BR early crest black, BR Green orange lining, back to BR green with duck egg blue lining then SYE.
    Loco Livery Crest From To
    10000 Black/Chrome fittings LMS Dec 1947 Mar 1951
    10000 BR Black/silver roof & waistband BR Early Large Mar 1951 Feb 1954
    10000 BR Black/silver roof & waistband BR Early Small Feb 1954 Aug 1956
    10000 BR Brunswick Green with Orange/Black/Orange lining BR Late Sept 1956 Aug 1957
    10000 BR Brunswick Green with partial eggshell blue waistband BR Late Aug 1957 Nov 1962 (withdrawn)
    10001 BR Black/silver roof & waistband None July 1948 April 1951
    10001 BR Black/silver roof & waistband BR Early Large April 1951 May 1954
    10001 BR Black/silver roof & waistband BR Early Small May 1954 Sept 1956
    10001 BR Brunswick Green with Orange/Black/Orange lining BR Late Sept 1956 Oct 1957
    10001 BR Brunswick Green with partial eggshell blue waistband BR Late Oct 1957 ?? 1961
    10001 BR Brunswick Green with full eggshell blue waistband BR Late ?? 1961 Oct 1962
    10001 BR Brunswick Green/full eggshell blue waistband/small yellow ends BR Late Oct 1962 Mar 1966 (withdrawn)
    As likely a seller as the deltic DP1 I would have thought.
    Just a thought.
    Bob

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
      JeremiahBunyan commented
      Editing a comment
      That was nice an detailed! Good work...

• ScottyStitch
      ScottyStitch commented
      Editing a comment
      They also worked singly at times, especially latterly, which may be a further selling point.

Can I suggest a Hampshire unit Thumper for future consideration?

Much more versatile than a Southern EMU and they got everywhere from Exeter to Ashford.

Comment

• Jeff Eastmond
      Jeff Eastmond commented
      Editing a comment
      ...and Bristol and Cardiff.

• Paul South Midlands
      Paul South Midlands commented
      Editing a comment
      Indeed Jeff. Reading & weston super Mare as well. Their 47 year career spanned from full on steam era on long gone branch lines like the Cuckoo line and Andover to Romsey, through rail blue and on to the privatised railway being the Southerns last slam door stock in 2004.

Just about the only unit I can think of that would be equally at home in a layout with Maunsell coaches and M7s as with class 47s and HSTs.

And with a good few in preservation would be usable without "rule 1" in just about any post 1948 model railway layout in southern England.

What I find odd is that the -other place- went for a 4 car electric unit used mainly in Kent only rather than a thumper.
      Last edited by Paul South Midlands; 4 July 2016, 18:05.

Well of course I want a Thumper. I grew up riding these around Hampshire and Berkshire.
    But don't do what Kernow did. It absolutely HAS to be a 3H or 3B unit. 2-car units are just not right in N gauge.

Comment

• Paul South Midlands
      Paul South Midlands commented
      Editing a comment
      Fully agreed. The 3rd car was fitted pretty rapidly.on the prototypes. I suppose there is no reason why the unit couldn't be sold as a two car set with the third centre car as a separate item though.

It would also be reasonasbly straighforward to do 2 or 4 car EPBs as a further product if successful as there are many similarities.

Originally posted by Bob G View Post
    2-car units are just not right in N gauge.
    I might possibly disagree with you there, Bob as, given a decent enough motor in the power car of a powered set, dummy sets could easily make up 4 or 6 coach train

Comment

Originally posted by newportnobby View Post

I might possibly disagree with you there, Bob as, given a decent enough motor in the power car of a powered set, dummy sets could easily make up 4 or 6 coach train
      I suspect he means for the prototype and why do 2 if they ran in 3 when N Gauge has the space for 3 where OO does not.

Comment

Of the 33 Thumper units, only about four were operated as two car units once the Southern realised they needed the passenger space taken up by the EE power unit, and introduced a third centre coach.
        So the bulk of the Thumpers were three car units.
        I don't want to model a two car unit in N, when we have space to do it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob G View Post
          Well of course I want a Thumper. It absolutely HAS to be a 3H or 3B unit. 2-car units are just not right in N gauge.
          I presume you mean 3D there, Bob

Fully agree, though - let's have the full unit if it's going to be done right. Just make sure the 3H centre cars don't have the conduiting on the roof that the two outer cars do...

Comment

• Bob G
            Bob G commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually I didn't mean the East Sussex units! For some reason I thought the Hampshire units were 3H and the Berkshire units 3B, but of course all three cars were class 205 (3H) units.

Space wasn't the issue for Kernow only doing 2-car sets - it was the tooling costs.

Comment

• Bob G
            Bob G commented
            Editing a comment
            Indeed, you are absolutely right, but a lot of the costs went down to the number of parts that made up the model that had to be added by hand too. I suspect they learnt a lesson from the Thumper in producing the 4-TC (which is still £70/coach with early bird discount). And apparently no one is baulking at the price (or they are and then paying it anyway because that's the only way they will get a 4-TC?
            Maybe a bit of the Hornby design clever philosophy has gone into the 4-TC?
            We can but wonder.
            Bob

PS is the Pendolino cheaper in terms of £ per inch, given the 4-TC is 4' long and about £5.62 per inch?

• JR_P
            JR_P commented
            Editing a comment
            Bob G just out of curiosity I did some calculations.... for the 11 car (185cm long) Pendo it is £285 (DC only; which is what I have on order), I make it £1.54 per 1cm.... or, for those of you over the age of 40, it is £3.91 per 1inch ;-)

.... by comparison, a rake of Dapol's HST (2+8) is £255 (at least that's what I paid for my most recent FGW set) and is approx 150cm long, it is £1.70 per 1cm.

But, since N gauge is smaller than OO, rather than using cost per inch, perhaps a better measure by which to compare between the different scales is a cost per 'car' basis for a *full rake*.... and by 'car' I mean I don't differentiated between the powered locos/cars and the un-powered coaches required to complete a given set.

So, if you break it down on a per 'car' basis for a full rake, the Pendo is £25.91 per 'car' and Dapol's HST is £25.50 per 'car' - so at least there is consistency within N gauge.

What it all means beyond that, I have no idea.... :-D

Just a general question, but do Dapol have any plans to incorporate Next18 decoder sockets in future models? Just wondered as Farish are doing this with some models currently at the design stage, and it looks like this might become the new standard for N-gauge DCC, eventually, given that it offers more functionality than the current 6-pin standard.

Comment

• Roy L S
            Roy L S commented
            Editing a comment
            For steam though I would think that the next big step after having a coreless motor back in the loco is DCC sound utilising the tender space and maybe that would be the justification for a move to Next 18?

Roy

• PaulShanahanUK
            PaulShanahanUK commented
            Editing a comment
            Andy - Why would Dapol not consider putting lights on steam loco's? They did have lights, albeit, not electric. A flicker function could be used to simulate paraffin lamps (or equivalent). Just a through...

• Andy Dapol
            Andy Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            PaulShanahanUK The main reason is that there are 10 common combinations for the position of the lamps (14 if all regions/companies and classifications are counted) and unlike continental locos (which use fixed electric lamps) the UK prototype has either a lamp, or an empty bracket. I've considered the issue and have had a solution for larger scales for sometime now (which will eventually be used), however in N there simply is not sufficient space to do this economically and more importantly guarantee a consistent assembly quality.
            Last edited by Andy Dapol; 2 September 2016, 10:10. Reason: typo

What about a Land Rover range of motive power?

Comment

Out of interest regarding the tender drive locos - why isn't the tender body designed to lift off completely without having to tamper with the drive shaft first ?

Comment

Modified Hall using parts from the existing Hall class
              Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T with retooled chassis alongside an all-new BR Standard 2MT 2-6-2T

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                JeremiahBunyan commented
                Editing a comment
                I've been meaning to ask...where can I find a good guide showing the differences between a modified and regular GWR Hall?

Originally posted by gc4946 View Post
              Modified Hall using parts from the existing Hall class
              Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T with retooled chassis alongside an all-new BR Standard 2MT 2-6-2T
              Wikipedia for GWR 4900 class (Hall, as modelled by Dapol) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_4900_Class
              Wikipedia for GWR 6959 class (Modified Hall) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_6959_Class

The most visible differences from the (original) Hall are the extra reinforced framing in front of the smokebox and the longer steam pipes either side of the smokebox. Some engines received the flat-sided Hawksworth tender which would have to be a completely new tooling.

Comment

My wishlist:

New liveries:

Class 43 +MK3 coaches in East Coast & Virgin Trains East Coast liveries
                Class 67 in DB Schenker Red, unbranded Chiltern Silver-Grey and Arriva Trains Blue (re-run) liveries

New Mainline/Multiple units:

Class 90 (Freightliner & DB Schenker)
                Class 91 +MK4 coaches & DVT (East Coast & Virgin Trains East Coast)
                Class 92 (DB Schenker)
                Class 144 (Northern Rail)
                Class 155 (Northern Rail)
                Class 158 (Northern Rail)
                Class 180 (Grand Central)
                Class 185 (First TransPennine Express)
                Last edited by VoyagerBen; 12 July 2016, 18:01.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                  JeremiahBunyan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +1 for a VTEC HST

+1 for a Class 90 (DRS, Abellio Greater Anglia), Class 91 (VTEC), Class 92 (Caledonian) and Class 180 (FGW, Great Central)!

another two for the Southern in N gauge be an idea

SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelsons

SR N15 4-6-0 King Arthur Class

Comment

Working...
                X