Future models (N Gauge Locomotives)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newportnobby
    • Jun 2016

Another I'd like to see and would definitely purchase a couple is the 56xx tank

Comment

• Robbo
      Robbo commented
      Editing a comment
      Seconded! Nostalgia again - they used to escape quite often from South Wales on coal trains when I was in short trousers!
  • ScottyStitch
    Just starting out here
    • Jun 2016

Class 21/29
    Class 28
    The Twins (10000 & 10001) - Obviously this is unlikely, but you did ask.
    Clan Pacific
    Princess Pacific
    Falcon

In other news, adding to Farish' 4CEP EMU (as they seem reluctant) would help kickstart the Southern Region modelling.

Comment

• Kirky
      Just starting out here
      • Jun 2016

Thank goodness for that. Someone else agrees with me that we need a 185. I thought I was the only person in the UK who wanted one of these! Thanks Vonzack.
      Please Dapol, do a 185....it has got two liveries now so making it more likely to sell multiple versions.

Cheers
      Kirky

Edit:
      Oops, I missed DavidInYork's post. Well thats three of us. But yes, pretty much every location in the north (of England) has 185s. Very very common up here.
      Last edited by Kirky; 28 June 2016, 07:42.

Comment

• Chris Newman
        • Jun 2016

Wish you'd Have a go at EE type 3 Class 37 (yes I know it's done by the "Others" but it's getting past it's prime) lots of variants & liveries--yet dare I say it I the most striking is "Europhoenix" + with your way of dealing with DCC a very good chance of being very successful, most especially as DCC sound is becoming the in thing think of these "Growlers" going round a layout under load!!! (will try and find a picture)
        Last edited by Chris Newman; 28 June 2016, 16:37. Reason: missed off final comment

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
          JeremiahBunyan commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 if you're referring to both N and OO actually. I dislike Bachmann's variantions in terms of detail when they advertise one range. So I think Dapol can do a lovely Class 37 to a high standard.

No idea if it will sell though?

• Alistair
          Alistair commented
          Editing a comment
          The only version not retooled within the past 5 years are the 37/6 (37601-12) the 37/7 (44 locos) and 37/9 (37901-6). The latter 2 have never been produced.

There are so many differences in these sub-classes that it would cost a fortune for all of the slides to produce them accurately. This is why Farish choose thier models carefully so their tools are suitable for those models.

The 37/0, /3, /4 and /5 have all been covered recently and as we know in such a small market having duplicates does more harm than good, just look at the B1.

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          I am wary of this to be honest, I think the best models have already been cherry picked and for the investment I have a feeling there may be better fish to fry. Please let me know if you feel differently though.
      • Mark Ellis
        • Jun 2016

What I don't understand (and I've said this before) - why make a 2MT when Farish already make one. And why are Farish making an Auto-coach when Dapol already make one. I'd rather see more locos/coaches that have never been made before or haven't been available for decades than just a better detailed item

Comment

• mike
          mike commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know about the 2MT but the autocoaches produced by Dapol and Farish aren't the same are they?

• Jeff Eastmond
          Jeff Eastmond commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't know - not my region so I wouldn't know whether the Autocoaches had been duplicated as I'm not interested in them.

• Hailstone
          Hailstone commented
          Editing a comment
          the Dapol autocoach is a Collett design, whereas the Farish one is a Hawksworth design built in the BR era
      • ADHDboy
        Just starting out here
        • Jun 2016

Class 25 / 97 Ethel units (Dummy or Powered)
        Class 142 (original version in provincial livery)
        Class 141 (green & white and red & cream)
        Class 144 (red & cream)
        Class 110
        Class 108

Comment

• Zaphras
          Just starting out here
          • Jun 2016

Hello

I haven't noticed a great clamour in any of the above postings for 3rd rail electrics so that I may be a voice in the wilderness, but can I suggest a 2-BiL emu. These operated from the mid-30's and lasted over 30 years so could be produced in SR green, BR MU Green and Rail Blue. They frequently, not to say, normally ran in multiple so would be a candidate for one of your dummy packs also.

Whilst I am a southern (region) modeller, an ex-LNER loco that frequently ran on southern south London rails, at least up to the mid-fifties, was the J50. If you don't proceed with the J72, this would be a very good alternative with their distinctive tank design.

Martin

Comment

• Jeff Eastmond
            Jeff Eastmond commented
            Editing a comment
            You're not the only one wanting 3rd rail EMUs - but let's start with ones that will complement the existing one, the Farish 4CEP. BR Standard 2HAP primarily, that'll lead onto the EPB suburban stock...

• Crepello
            Crepello commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, the J50 is a must for me too; They must have run on LMR and WR tracks too on cross-London freights.
        • mike
          Just starting out here
          • Jun 2016

I'd be up for some 185s. They travel over so much of the northern half of the network (Manchester Airport to Cumbria/Scotland and trans-pennine plus up the ECML (Liverpool/Manchester to Newcastle)). There has been at least 3 liveries: original First Group; First Group TPE dynamic lines; and the new TPE "star" livery.

Cheers, Mike

Comment

• JR_P
            • Jun 2016

I reckon i'd also take a 185.... to go with my new Pendo x2.... speaking of which Dapol, out of curiosity I just had a look at my spending this year so far....

RevolutioN = £1285.... (slightly eye-watering and I'm scared to explain this to my girlfriend....)
            Dapol = £80 (x4 mk3 TGS)....

Since i'm not particular about which of Dapol, Farish or RevolutioN I buy from, so long as the model is relevant to me, I can only assume that Dapol hasn't released anything modern this year of significance (apart from said mk3 TGS)....

Makes me think the modern modeller has kinda been neglected of late by Dapol and perhaps they could make amends for that next year ;-) !

.... of course, this can all easily be turned around with a DRS 68, a Northern 142 (powered and dummy), a DB red 67 and re-run of EWS 67, GWR HST, etc, etc....

Comment

• BramptonBranch
              Just starting out here
              • Jun 2016

Only just joined so Hi!!

Would love an EM1/EM2 in green, the Metro Vick co-bo and a small industrial shunter (steam 0-4-0). maybe a 0-4-0 diesel to go with it...........
              Class 21/29 wouldn't go amiss either.......

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                JeremiahBunyan commented
                Editing a comment
                RevolutioN already tried for the Class 21/29 and started a crowd-funding that didn't succeed or go anywhere near being successful. So I doubt anyone will ever see a Class 21/29
            • Geriatrix
              Just starting out here
              • Jun 2016

I don't have any particular projects to request, but I would like to ask for some standardisation in performance in any new models, especially from the steamers. I love the appearance of your models, but I have a Prairie that shoots off like a startled rabbit when given just a tiny amount of electricity, and a 28XX that requires huge amounts of power just to move. And the Panniers occupy a position somewhere between the two. This is especially inconvenient because I generate sound using "Chuffers" which work by measuring the current to the track to produce the appropriate sound. So my Prairie barely produces any sound until is going quite fast, when it produces a leisurely chuff, and the 28XX sounds like its going full tilt when its just crawling along. Thank you!

Comment

• captainelectra
                Just starting out here
                • Jun 2016

Dare I suggest the Class 47? Although there is a perfectly acceptable model already on the market from GF, the small batch sizes and production timescales mean that the chances of covering every popular variation of this class are minimal. A definitive, 3D scanned 47 covering the major variations would still be a big hit.

Dapol's leanness and ability to produce small batches more quickly than Bachmann would really make this sell. I would start with the more modern version with cut-away bufferbeams, which hasn't been done by GF as yet, and get some modern Brushes out there.

Using the same logic, a refurbished-bodyshell 31 would also probably work.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                  JeremiahBunyan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @JR_P

I must agree with you, sadly I don't see Dapol doing it, however it was a hopeful wish! No harm in wishing...!

Thanks for your kind words, I'm glad I've helped in some way. I do agree about Dapol's Class 66 having an over-sized lamp-iron, However it's an easy fix for me. To me GF's Class 66 just doesn't capture the front well at all. TBH it looks like a T-gauge model with what I call "flat detail". I'm sure GF have a good drive system, but like you I've got the eye for detail and I think Dapol won my heart with the Class 66.

I may sound like I'm favouring one brand here, but just to set things straight I think Dapol's N gauge Class 52 could've had a better face (one of their only models with a mix of separate and moulded detail).

• Joel Dapol
                  Joel Dapol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No plans for a Class 47 I am afraid. It's a bit too risky with a good model already out there. You really need a model with a sales potential in excess of 3-4000 units over its lifetime to justify the expenditure and with this I am doubtful.

• Scruff
                  Scruff commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree with Adam, I feel there is room in the market for 2 class 47's. After all, there are 2 class 66's and both seem successful. 512 loco's with a minimum of 3 liveries each and several are still working on the mainline today.
                  Cheers
                  Mark
              • BECMAYE
                Just starting out here
                • Jul 2016

If you don't have a dream then how can you have a dream come true?'. I know these are very unlikely but here goes...
                In N gauge I would love 81,85,86's in 1960's detail and liveries especially electric blue with half yellow ends.
                Southern EMU's in full green or green with half yellow ends such as 2 BIL, 2 and 4 EPBS, 4SUBS and Thumpers.
                Falcon, Kestrel, DP2, Lion,
                Kings, 8F, Princess, Patriot, Garrett
                Thompson coaches
                Car carrier vehicles from the Sixties, breakdown crane, wagons for carrying military vehicles and n gauge tanks from the Sixties such as Chieftains
                Last edited by BECMAYE; 1 July 2016, 10:07.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                  Joel Dapol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Some of these are very good ideas and very possible. Keep the ideas coming and perhaps we can generate a ranking list.
              • BramptonBranch
                Just starting out here
                • Jun 2016

Falcon,Kestrel,Lion,DP2 were/are available as resin bodies not the same as RTR but for main line prototypes would there be a market?

Personally I have all four as "kit built" but I may be tempted...seems more of gap with main line electrics?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                  Joel Dapol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is the big question that unfortunately keeps cropping up, is there a market and how big?
              • JohnLambert
                Just starting out here
                • Jun 2016

My gut feeling, with no expert knowlege of the industry, is that there isn't a large market for one-off locos like Falcon, Kestrel, Lion and DP2. If they wore more than one livery you might get a couple of production runs out of the tooling but, as far as I can see, once people have one they won't buy another. The Graham Farish Deltic DP1 is a lovely model and I'm very fond of mine but I wouldn't buy another as there's no need.

Given the costs of tooling up for production I imagine a nice 'one-off' will always (or nearly always) have to lose out to something that offers a greater potential return on investment.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                  Joel Dapol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I tend to agree with you unfortunately, especially with tooling costs escalating as they have.
              Working...