Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CeeDee
    replied
    There you go: 1 to 5 all covered with a BR (SR) N15 (K Arthur) and a Lord Nelson......sorted!

Leave a comment:

• Andy Dapol
    replied
    What I'd really like to explore / discuss is the 'success criteria' that you apply to whether, or not, a particular model gets made.
    This possibly isn't as simple to answer as it first appears
    There are quite a few criteria we consider many of which require the aid of a crystal ball!
    1. Firstly, demand - will it sell?
    2. Cost - Can we make it in economical quantities - i.e. how many variants can be produced from the basic tool(mould) - Good examples would be the NMT or Royal train.
    3. If 2 doesn't apply, can we introduce spin-off benefits? i.e. HST-p tooling the carriages allows, (with modifications) pre-CDL blister stock to be produced.
    4. How difficult is it to obtain drawings or view the prototype? i.e. How accurate can we make the model?
    5. Does it fill a need in the market?

There are other considerations as well, often unique to the model being considered, but mostly as you can see, its variations on item 1. We need to produce an accurate model at the right price within a realistic timescale. Therefore, the reasoning for the Digest. Your suggestions and debates help inspire us and offer a real vision of what and why certain models are needed.

Leave a comment:

• JR_P
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I thought the 319 was a a little surprising / odd (esp since they didn't offer FCC livery, which would at least mesh with Dapol's EMT HST)....

• Jeff Eastmond
    replied
    That's the sort of joined-up thinking that the other major manufacturer needs to be aware of.

I have a couple of 4Ceps - great, there's enough in OO - the 2EPB, and now 2HAP - that if they were produced in N it would make the 4Cep even more attractive (and thus prompt reruns), because of the possible scenarios that modellers may be interested in creating. Modellers would even be able to bash a 4EPB from a pair of 2EPBs and possibly make sales of that model even higher. I had high hopes for an announcement that would fulfil this wish, but no, they announce the 319 - totally incompatible with the existing 3rd rail offerings.

Leave a comment:

• JR_P
    replied
    Hi Dapol,

Don't worry, there is no need to thank us - I'm pretty sure us modellers don't need asking twice for us to share our 'wish list' ;-) !

What I'd really like to explore / discuss is the 'success criteria' that you apply to whether, or not, a particular model gets made.

I mean, Dapol (or any other manufacturer) is doing what they do to meet a demand in a particualr marketplace and (hopefully) generate enough profit to sustain the business.

I think it would be helpful to modellers (when proposing a particular item for you to produce), to understand the chance of what they suggest *actaully* coming to fruition.

I'd also like for the manufacturers to consider a paricular model, not in economic isolation, ie. will that model break even, but will it fit into a wider context and therefore attract greater interest; thereby enhancing sales by virtue of relevancy...

.... the best example I can give of this (that I can think of) is the Farish London-Midland Class 350 - lovely looking model, but when originally released was completely obsolete because what do you run it with?!.... there is nothing out there in a wider context (appart from WCML freight flows), consequently it hasn't sold well.... however, when RevolutioN announced the Pendo, suddenly the 350 became relevent....

In fact, relevent enough that I bought *two* Pendos and *three* 350s, which I'd never planned to do. Then Revolution announces a Class 321 - the London-Midland version will slot right into the unfolding scenario.... gonna get two of them as well, so now I have a fully-represented *realistic* WCML scenario - brilliant :-) !!!

So to conclude; my point being, is that I went out and bought numerous models i'd not planned to, because I could complete a realistic scenario - for me, its not so much whether a particular class loco has, or hasn't been done, but whether it compliments an existing *scenario* - that's what makes *me* spend *my money*....

Would be good to get Dapol's thoughts.... and anyone elses too ;-)

.... looking forward to a stimulating debate....

Cheers, JR

Leave a comment:

• Andy Dapol
    started a topic Thanks!

Thanks!

Just a quick note to say thank you to everyone who has voted and especially to those who have 'wish listed'. It really is great to receive your suggestions, sadly It's impossible to acknowledge each post, but each one is read and in another couple of weeks we shall put up a poll based on the results obtained here as well as all your suggestions received here and via other sources.
    In the meantime, please keep it up
Working...
X