Class 86 1st Decorated samples

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class 86 1st Decorated samples

For your viewing pleasure, photographs of the N gauge Class 86 1st decorated samples. As always constructive comment is welcomed.
    Regards
    Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Les Ross / Peter Pan
    Regards
    Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• JR_P
      JR_P commented
      Editing a comment
      Neil Dapol - the name plates are wrong; yes, you correctly did in italics, but there should be loads of ‘edge’, especially on the Les Ross plate.... it took me about two seconds online to find a square-on, up-close image of the Les Ross plate that highlighted this glaring error. Overall, the model looks nice - I’ll certainly be in for one of these :-)

• Neil Dapol
      Neil Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      HI JR_P

Thank you for your comment, most appreciated.

We have provided feedback to the factory on the name plates and we will see what we get with the next deco samples and go from there.

Kind Regards

Neil

• JeremiahBunyan
      JeremiahBunyan commented
      Editing a comment
      The black vent on the cab roof looks a bit odd. Is that an AC vent?? It seems to be white on the real locomotive. It's less noticeable on Class 86s with a darker colour roof. That darker colour only shows because of the grille effect. Can it not be done in a shade of grey? Or just left white?

Metior
    Regards
    Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Mons Meg
    Regards
    Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

The Boys Brigade
      Regards
      Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
        JeremiahBunyan commented
        Editing a comment
        The black vent on the cab roof looks a bit odd. Is that an AC vent?? It seems to be yellow on the real locomotives. It's less noticeable on Class 86s with a darker colour roof.

Class photo.... to try and help with colour debates I have attached a naturally lit photo taken on my phone.
      Regards
      Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
        JeremiahBunyan commented
        Editing a comment
        Under natural light I personally feel the colour of "Les Ross" is a tad light. I hope someone will be kind enough to help here. I think we need a picture of it under an overcast sky also.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the wonderful images. They look nice. I've got "Mons Meg" on pre-order, I was thinking about "Les Ross" since it is very much a locomotive that will fit into this present day and age. However now that Dapol has confirmed that there will be the proper Chiltern Blue livery on the Class 121 I am in a fix. Fingers crossed - it's all based on when these hit shop shelves.

Already discussed "86259 - Les Ross" with you privately.
      Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Hi Neil,

The yellow on 86259 finishes below the hand rail and goes across the headlight.

Dazzer

Comment

• JR_P
          JR_P commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, I concur with Dazzer’s comment.

• Neil Dapol
          Neil Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi, Dazzer and JR_P.

Good observation and this is something we have asked to have addressed

Kind Regards

Neil

Hi, I’ve noticed the nameplate on caledonian sleeper 86401 is a little high and needs to be moved down a touch

Comment

Hi Neil; Please get the factory to rescale and redraw all the nameplates as they all look too large on these samples. As I will probably have an order for all of these models, I feel that ..unless corrected, I may have to replace the nameplates on these locos. Livery wise, they look very nice...some of the colour transition on the Caley Sleeper loco looks a bit rough but I am sure that you have already seen this. Thanks for allowing us to comment on these samples. Best Regards; Stu from EGDL

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
            JeremiahBunyan commented
            Editing a comment
            That's probably because it's a hand painted sample.

• Jcmjcm
            Jcmjcm commented
            Editing a comment
            I too think the size of nameplates looks wrong. I hope you are able to improve these before production. Jeremy

Looking good - I hope the nameplates are not super-glued on and are level unlike the last batch of Class 67s - I retuned 5 before I found one acceptable....

Tony

Comment

• Joel Dapol
            Joel Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, the plates are not great. We have asked for the names to be printed smaller and will probably supply plates in the bag. We should have some more pictures of corrected versions next week.

I'd be happy to fit the nameplates myself. So You've got one vote for bagged nameplates from me!
          Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

• Scruff
            Scruff commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm the same as you Jeremiah, Nameplates in the bag ready to be attached with "Glue and Glaze"!

• JeremiahBunyan
            JeremiahBunyan commented
            Editing a comment
            Well atleast if we make a mess of the nameplates we have no one else to blame!

Here's a nice picture from "The Railway Centre" website and it came up as part of their "Picture of the Day"

http://www.railway-centre.com/upload...08-18_orig.jpg

Class 86 #86259 "Peter Pan"
          Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Hello Neil Dapol

I believe that the Class 86 samples at TINGS 2018 were updated models? By the looks of it they seemed to have nameplates that were far better than the first samples you showed us. Can you confirm this please? Will you be posting pics?
            Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Will the pantographs become available as spare parts again?
              I can do with 2 dozen or so.

Regards,
              Michel

Comment

• Vonzack
                Vonzack commented
                Editing a comment
                Using a 68 as a base, you know the 88 is longer?

• JeremiahBunyan
                JeremiahBunyan commented
                Editing a comment
                It's something that I've had many requests for, so I doubt the people who have asked for the kit have an issue about the difference in length. Not everyone is a rivet counter. Most people are just happy if it resembles the prototype.

I don't know what Dapol's plans are, but a Class 88 in N gauge seems to be a huge gamble and personally there's better electric locomotives like the Class 87, Class 90 and Class 91 to do which have a higher sales potential than the DRS Class 88. I'll be thoroughly surprised if Dapol actually invest money in an N gauge DRS Class 88.

Designing the conversion kit to the many who wanted it seems to be a sensible idea as it's just a few hours work and no monetary investment.
                Last edited by JeremiahBunyan; 27th September 2018, 11:43.

• Vonzack
                Vonzack commented
                Editing a comment
                I've made it, referred to as a 'Rivet Counter' ;-)

Good luck with you're conversion kit
            Working...
            X