No announcement yet.

Dapol N gauge Class 86 - Livery wishlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely keen for any of the Intercity/Swallow/Mainline variants - with the Mk2F coaches being released by a certain other manufacturer in the next year or two these would be ideal for replicating cross-country trains of the 80s/90s. As an aside, I think this may be a reason for the initial class 86 released in this scheme reputedly being a slow seller - apart from a very limited selection of Mk3 coaches there really wasn't much available for it to haul.

Comment

• Scruff
      Scruff commented
      Editing a comment
      The original swallow livery 86 sold out first and is now like rocking horse pooh to find.Saw one go on flea bay for 200 quid a few weeks ago.

An Intercity livery to go with the Swallow livery Mk3 coaches and a BR blue Class 86 would get my vote.

Comment

Proposed Class 86's for the next production run listed below - has anybody got any photographs of them that will help generate the artwork?

86101 - Caledonia Livery - Sir William A Stanier FRS

86217- Intercity Mainline Livery - Halley's Comet

86227 - Anglia Livery - Golden Jubilee with Union Flag

E 3167 - BR Electric Blue with white cab roof and window surrounds

Do our customers think it is worthwhile adding a BR Intercity Swallow livery to this run? If so is there a favorite?
      Last edited by Neil Dapol; 20 October 2016, 18:12.
      Regards
      Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• baister1
        baister1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely need a BR Intercity Swallow livery. Not fussy which as long as it has the black cab roof and correct yellow fronts.

• baister1
        baister1 commented
        Editing a comment
        There's not been a lot said about these lately. Is it likely or do I need to start commissioning some resprays?

47475 commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope you meant InterCity Executive livery (i.e. with the yellow cabsides and BR logo) as shown here:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2881/1...4c3a8fd0_b.jpg

86217 would look good in the early Mainline Livery with the part wrapped yellow ends (with/without headlight).

Yes on the others.

Yes to another Intercity one - but can we get the window surrounds correct unlike ND099B which had yellow front window surrounds.

A real odd one to do would be 86245 Caledonian in the Blue Virgin livery

Regards

Tony

Comment

Neil Dapol looks like 86217 never carried intercity mainline livery. Unless you mean executive livery? Which it carried from 1986-1989 roughly...

A big yes from me for another swallow liveried one...

Cheers
        Mark

Comment

• Scruff
          Scruff commented
          Editing a comment
          www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/10292765174
          Last edited by Scruff; 20 October 2016, 13:05. Reason: Link broken

• Neil Dapol
          Neil Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for your input, I will amend the description accordingly. This highlights the benefits of the digest perfectly, from the very outset details can be corrected (which is one of the core reasons behind the Digest in the first place).

• Nite Owl
          Nite Owl commented
          Editing a comment
          I also remember the 'Mainline' livery as being a grey lower bodyside with very small loco numbers as here:

http://jamespower.zenfolio.com/p1021...38af#h1f8938af

Think this would be a interesting variation on standard Swallow and very useful. Interestingly I have also heard of the early executive livery with wraparound cabs being referred to as 'Main Line' so it is a bit of a minefield semantics-wise! Perhaps one of these (with wraparound yellow) would be good as the possible 'extra' livery since this wasn't covered in the initial run and was very striking when first introduced.

Just received my EWS Class 86 from Dapol... I've already told Neil and Joel that I am at a loss for words! I also have a RfD Class 86 on order and that's currently on it's way to me.

Please Dapol do either a Colas Rail, 1960s Electric Blue (Les Ross) or Caledonian Sleeper Class 86!
        Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Neil Dapol regarding item 86227 - Anglia Livery - Golden Jubilee with Union Flag - what are you proposing it haul???!

I loved the Anglia teal livery (I grew up in East Anglia during those years, so have fond memories), but the Anglia 86s hauled air-con mk2 with mk2 DBSO.... no one does that stock RTR (yet!).... don't get me wrong, the loco/livery in question was a real gem, but I can't see a wider context in which you'll be able to sell many....

And even once Farish eventually get around to releasing their air-con mk2 & DBSO, I can't see them doing the Anglia livery, regrettably.

For me this would be a loco to stick at the head of a charter, but nothing else - I think it could struggle to sell.

Comment

• Scruff
          Scruff commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree... lovely livery but could it be used with the Dapol Mk3 coaches and DVT?

• JR_P
          JR_P commented
          Editing a comment
          As I recall, the upgrade to mk3 stock (buffet car aside) was coincident with the change-over to the 'ONE' Anglia livery - that is to say, the mk3 stock (including DVT) never wore the teal Anglia livery and the class 86s were replaced by class 90s at the same time, which again never wore teal Anglia.

Now, if Dapol ever do the Class 90, they have everything necessary to offer a 90+mk3+DVT in 'ONE' Anglia livery and all liveries thereafter....

The question is though, is anyone *actually* modelling the Great Eastern Mainline?!.... my gut says no, based on the fact that the RevolutioN Class 321 is looking unlikely to be offered in any of the GEML operator liveries due to lack of interest.

• JeremiahBunyan
          JeremiahBunyan commented
          Editing a comment
          Fully agree with you JR_P

The Intercity/mainline variations just go to show how important it is to have good pictures of the actual subject!

As I understand it (I may be wrong!) the generally accepted 'norms' are:

Intercity Executive - dark grey upper bodyside, yellow lower cabsides, BR double arrow on upper bodyside, white numbers under cabside window, lower bodyside same colour as Intercity coaches. Note I don't think the electrics carried the InterCity branding unlike the 47s etc.

Mainline - similar to above but cast double arrow on cabside, yellow restricted to cab front only, no other branding.

INTERCITY - As 'Mainline' above but, INTERCITY branding with Swallow logo, white lower bodyside, black numbers on lower bodyside under cab window, upper bodyside grey continues around cab front.

Another point to watch for is the colour of the nameplate background, either black or red (2 different shades?)

As has been seen, people understand the terms to mean slightly different combinations, not helped by variations in the real thing (i.e. Mainline livery with INTERCITY branding with or without swallow logo!).

Comment

A swallow liveried 86 would be great, I missed them first time round.

86247 Abraham Darby or 86260 Driver Wallace Oakes G.C would be good candidates, they carried swallow livery into the 2000's so suitable for use with Swallow or Virgin liveried mk3's.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
            Joel Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            Great suggestions, thank you.

I agree with resolve10, personally i think 86260 Driver Wallace Oakes G.C. for a larger scope of era, and also a mark of respect to Wallace Oakes.

Comment

• sawyerm1982
            sawyerm1982 commented
            Editing a comment
            I would second that, an INTERCITY class 86 such as this which survived late into the Virgin era would be high on my wish list given that I missed out the first time round.

As I model the BR steam/diesel transition era (50's/60's) with black steam locos and green diesel locos on my N gauge layout, I would love to have a couple of AL6's in Electric Blue livery in as-delivered condition (without yellow front panels - I had searched on Internet for authentication and indeed they were delivered in wrap round blue livery with white window surrounds and cab roofs) so that I could have a pair on 'delivery run' hauled by a diesel as it would be accurate for the period.
          ​​​​​​
          Dapol, I hope you consider producing some AL6's in as delivered condition. I would buy a couple.

Comment

What a great announcement, I'll certainly be after a few of the new liveries and if you do another swallow livery I'd most certainly be getting that!

Comment

Is there any confirmed date as to when these are being produced and due into stock? And please note, unlike others I'll be happy to even have an estimate date of production/arrival. It will help me save. So even a PM regarding the estimated arrival is great.
              Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                JeremiahBunyan commented
                Editing a comment
                Will do...LOL!

• Joel Dapol
                Joel Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                I would say my best guess would be in around 9 months time.

• JeremiahBunyan
                JeremiahBunyan commented
                Editing a comment
                Praise the model train Gods! That 9 month estimate was like music to my ears...

I would love Orion in Colas livery.

Comment

Originally posted by baister1 View Post
                I would love Orion in Colas livery.
                I'd agree with that, at the moment there's quite a good selection of modern freight in N gauge. A Colas Railfreight Class 86 will sell a bit better. Joel Dapol or Neil Dapol please consider this as an alternative.

Regarding the potential "Anglia Class 86 with the Union Jack", as much as it's a rare item, suitable rolling stock for it in N gauge isn't available. There's a possibility of it sitting on shelves for a long time, unless of course Dapol decides to bring out some complementing Mk2F coaching stock?

IIRC I can only give you'll proof that a Mk3 Buffet existed in the Anglia "turquoise" livery. But other than it was a mix of Mk2Fs in said livery and InterCity.

There's quite a few better options for a Class 86:-
                - BR Blue
                - ETL
                - InterCity Executive
                - InterCity Swallow
                Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                  Joel Dapol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great points Jeremiah, thank you.

• JeremiahBunyan