Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JR_P
    replied
    This is a sad tale of woe that I want to share with everyone, as it touches on a couple of issues that I feel fairly strongly about....

So on another thread on this forum I've already mentioned how I don't see the point in pre-ordering anymore; well the tipping point for me was having pre-ordered my GM limited edition cl 73 in Nov 2014, it was another 2.5yrs before I actaully took delievery of it!.... that was when I lost faith in pre-ordering (I particularly pity anyone who pre-ordered the cl 142!).

OK, so the cl 73 (in SWT livery) finally turned up in Feb/Mar - on first inspection, its OK; its a £70 loco, so I don't expect it to be quite as finely detailed as the high spec £130-£140 locos that Farish, Dapol, RevolutioN also produce (or will be producing). Nevertheless, the orange for the SWT livery was clearly incorrect; too tan, not orange enough, but the livery application was OK (but not brilliant; window surrounds NQP - again, its a £70 loco, so I'll live with it).

So, as per the usual guidance, a light oil & a run-in in both directions ~45min.... well, I got 5min into the first direction run-in & the loco grinds to a halt - done.

Sent back to GM who replaced it. Got around to testing the replacement last night - guess what.... same result - smoke as well for dramatic effect. Also, the lights on this loco only worked at one end, even before it died.

So now I'm a bit annoyed. Is there not a QC process before the loco leaves the factory?!.... I mean, the lights not working is an easy test; that is binary - they either work or they don't. A bit harder to predict if a loco is gonna fail after 5min - you could test run it in the factory for 10sec, which proves that it works, but it could then subsequently fail. Still, the fact that I've had two consecutive duds means that either there is some dubious workmanship/quality control, or I'm *incredibly* unlucky....

Finally, neither loco was a quiet, smooth runner - arguably you could attribute this to the fact that they both ultimately failed.... but this doesn't account for the fact that most Dapol locos I own are noisy, poor runners (from the start).... coincidentally, I'm also in the process of returning my new DB 67 cos it makes such a clatter (although hasn't failed, *yet*). Generally, in my experience, Dapol locos are noisy runners, although I've had relatively good fortune with all my half dozen cl 86 locos.

Anyway, sort of exasperated with two total failures back-to-back.... sending this one back it gonna cost me another £4 - so I've now spent £12 in postage on absolutely nothing at the moment.... Dapol really owes me on this one.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hebden
    replied
    I always find it rather depressing to see limited edition models for sale for ridiculous prices so soon after they came out.

Leave a comment:

• robert shrives
    commented on 's reply
    Hi white livery IIRC on the Gatwick liveried locos when stock got the deep maroon over rail red coach stripe and rebranding, beige would be better fairly easy to paint over or a dust of weathering to mask

• robert shrives
    commented on 's reply
    good pics what did the management behind think - new mice to play with..!

• robert shrives
    replied
    Hi Well mine arrived today and certainly a good bunch the 73141 in first is great and all run well the chassis is DCC ready and has headlights only with an improved 4 pin plug to attach body to chassis, lighting units the old bulky affair but I guess that helps keep price down, chassis is a dense plastic so thy are light but able to handle 8 easily on my layout- no gradients. The paint on Broadlands is more like on 73123 when first painted but agree it would be better in beige or weathered but certainly the dark grey is better than the effort years ago. Souhern and SWT saved the angst on curvy masking so thanks to GM and Dapol on that one - really we do need the EMUs to run with these- love to see a 4tc and 4rep - fun to be had doing the period of 442 with all sorts of formations.
    All in all a lovely set of models and some on ebay at silly prices...

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hebden
    commented on 's reply
    I think it would be a finickity job but I'm far from experienced in such matters. Might be easier to mask the colour by weathering it?
    On the headlight front, I've a photo I took of 73142 as 73201 in the Mainline livery without the headlight, dated December 1989. Definitely after the livery on the model :-(
    I think Dapol had to compromise, perhaps understandably so. https://flic.kr/p/5VBWoC

• bluedepot
    replied
    do you think it would be easy to re-paint the lower bodyside in a very light beige colour?

i have seen other intercity 73s with white lower bodyside and also a hallogen headlight - but not 73142.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hebden
    replied
    I've just had another look, admittedly not in sunlight. The lower body appears to be the same as the mid stripe.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hebden
    commented on 's reply
    I see what you mean, Tim. I think the model's colour is very much just about off-white. I've a photo I took of 73139 where the difference between the mid white stripe and the lower area is more pronounced. https://flic.kr/p/5VBVKb

• bluedepot
    replied
    thanks for posting andy

i'm not totally convinced by the lower bodyside colour - it shouldn't be white according to this pic https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3795...1466803c_b.jpg

i have seen some intercity 73s with white lower bodyside and others with more of a beige? not sure if there were just some painted up differently?

tim

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hebden
    replied
    There she is!

Leave a comment:

• JeremiahBunyan
    commented on 's reply
    Lucky chap...Unfortunately GM don't accept PayPal, so couldn't get one

• bluedepot
    replied
    can you post pictures on here andy?

mine will arrive soon I hope. not sure if I'll keep it or exchange it for a different model. depends on livery really.

Tim

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hebden
    replied
    73142 has arrived and first impressions are it's an excellent piece of work.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hebden
    commented on 's reply
    Did it run for long with this livery and the headlight?
Working...
X