Shipping update - N Gauge class 68

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping update - N Gauge class 68

I received an email today from our factory containing both good and bad news.
    The production of the N gauge models has been in progress since early January (moulding, production of outsourced parts etc.) and I was anticipating news today of the shipment of the first production samples, hopefully to arrive by the end of the week. The bad news is that this has slipped until the 31st. I shall of course post an update with photos a day or two after I have the samples on my desk.
    The good news is that once approved, shipment will take place as anticipated, and we should see the models in the shops by the 3rd or 4th week in Feb, followed by DCC fitted and DCC Sound fitted 2-4 weeks later.
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Excellent news! I assume they will be available direct from Dapol (sound versions in my interest)?

Looking forward to them, especially having seen the rave reviews for the 2nd production OO gauge version.

Comment

That's good news!
      Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

I gather from the facebook post these should be in stock this week. Hopefully be with the shops very soon for us to spend our hard earned cash on. Can't wait to get my hands on them.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, a bit late held up at customs but into Dapol warehouse tomorrow and shipping straight after QC.

Delighted with class 68 Oxford Flyer -would be good to have Chiltern coaches as suggested earlier. well done Dapol.

Comment

• Arthur Hodgett
          Arthur Hodgett commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Chris, I know Dapol don't use the crowd funding model, but I wonder how many would buy a 'pack' of compromised Mk3's masqueraiding as Chilterns? Or even maybe the mods being done to, or being considered for the real Mk3's for the future life extension of them, might make either new tools or modified tools worth while considering.

Mine has been dispatched. Should reach me in a week or so (if I am lucky). If I am unlucky the Indian Customs Department will pull it out, jump on it and send it to me in a cement sack (I speak from experience).
        Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Wow, wow, wow is all I can say. Took delivery of one of each and the Chiltern one has now been running in both directions for about an hour. Much quieter than previous locos. I like the booklet very much. It would be useful to consider adding to the booklet details of what a loco pulls even if these items are not manufactured by you. This is a marvelous advance and bodes very well for future locos, can they really keep getting much better. Only one slight negative, the box is not as robust as previously, The lid was cracked on delivery and the box cracked too as I tried to carefully get at the booklet, needed a pin and a bit of leverage to get the foam inserts out. Maybe a stronger box for the next production would runs would be worth considering. But on the whole exceedingly pleased with the locos, I'm sure they will run not walk off the shelves.

Comment

Arthur Hodgett Thanks for your comments Arthur. It sounds like your model may have had a tough time in transit. Please PM me with your address and I will organise a replacement case for you.
            Regards
            Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello Andy,

Now that you mentioned that, during my shifting of residence last year two of my Dapol models also had a tough time in transit. However whilst the plastic cases are fine the outer sleeves have torn. I prefer being safe than sorry and whilst I understand the case tends to hold together quite well I really do prefer the outer sleeve which does indeed hold everything together including the documentation.

If it possible to get two or three replacement sleeves? I am more than happy to pay for the sleeves and the shipping.

• Arthur Hodgett
              Arthur Hodgett commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Jeremiah
              The new outer sleeve on the 68's is good, and tightly around the plastic case. The documentation (booklet) is now at the bottom of the plastic box, a much better idea. I do agree with you though, boxes and sleeves do get damaged, I wonder if the club could stock them but maybe only sell them to those who buy something else from the shop to save admin and postage costs, just an idea, might mention it to Andrea, I would certainly buy a few too.

Joel Dapol will these be coming to Dapol’s online store by chance? I see the non sound ones are already out there for sale.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
              Joel Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes they should be in the store Monday ish.

Joel Dapol Thanks for the info Joel, much appreciated.

Comment

So many issues coming to light. Biggest complaint is that they've not been built properly with many reporting that they are having to glue on the hand rails. Even the Hattons' photo depict this! Some are reporting issues with light lens covers being detached and another issue is twisted buffers. I've seen people are showing that they only have drive to one bogie. In addition, there seem to be poor printing concerns!!! What an absolute joke, and embrasment. Dapol you should be ashamed of yourselves for ruining, for many, what was the most anticipated release for many. Oh how I wish Farish did this one instead. Mines going on ebay and I'm cancelling my sound fitted order as I'm not throwing that type of money away.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                JeremiahBunyan commented
                Editing a comment
                Did you try asking for a replacement or a refund before you lost your temper over this?

• JeremiahBunyan
                JeremiahBunyan commented
                Editing a comment
                "Oh how I wish Farish did this one instead"
                Farish..? Really?? The company that made a Class 31 that has wire sandpipes and moulded on handrails on the face of the loco. I shudder to think what their Class 68 would've had.

• Joel Dapol
                Joel Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                HI I'm sorry you feel that way. The vast majority of comments we have had are that people are very pleased with their models and many are quoting it is the best Dapol N gauge model to date The models which I have seen and inspected (very many) would validate this. I have been informed some hand rails have become detached in transit, however, this is in only a few cases and the twisted buffers and drive issues are news to me as is the poor printing you are alluding to.

Whilst I sympathise with baister1 I am a bit surprised at some of the criticisms being raised, where, after a flurry of activity, the original poster then finds the mistake is theirs. The buffers are not glued in place. They are a friction fit and can be rotated to the correct orientation if they are out of true. Light guides detaching when dismantling to adjust the lighting switches is just a matter of taking care to reseat them when refitting the body. There is no printing error on my DRS loco and the comment I saw showed the model and real loco look the same. I had a cab front handrail detach at one end when detaching the body. I clipped it back in place. Agreed the handrails are vulnerable to clumsy handling and some appear to have detached in transit from China on some models received. But overall these are small issues which are easy to overcome. The bogie gear housing detaching appears to be an issue on a couple of models so far and warrants a bit more investigation, but none of this warrants a wholesale condemnation in my view. Really pleased with my Chiltern and DRS versions, both now running in passenger service, one propelling a DVT and 4 Mk3s and the other hauling a similar formation. Both are smooth and quiet in operation on my layout with 2% gradients, S curves, and points and crossings. Hopefully there are many more like mine.
              Last edited by woodbury22uk; 24 February 2018, 21:57. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• Vonzack
                Vonzack commented
                Editing a comment
                In my case the handrails must have been lost prior to boxing as two were missing from the end with the coupling and were definitely not in the box. Then when I DCC'd another one, as I removed the body the light pipes fell out of both ends. These don't just clip back in or certainly didn't on my model, so it was out with the glue and even then it took me two attempts to get one end done properly.

The chassis and circuit board do seem to be a step up in quality for me and the weight of the chassis (100g) should give no problems with haulage, admittedly I haven't been able to verify this yet but it's as near as dammit the same weight as a Farish 66 / 60 which don't have any haulage issues. They are also very very quiet in operation.

The printing also appears to be very well done, queries about scratches on the compass logo are just people who aren't up to speed with how the prototype looks.

Asking Dapol to hang their heads in shame because of a few models with minor issues is a complete overreaction! I really feel bad for Dapol. From the entire batch the amount of complaints are equal to if not less than the usual amount. Human nature is such that when we are happy we will say little or nothing about it, yet when were unhappy we want our voices to reach far and wide.

Infact from my 10+ years of actively participating on various social media platforms regarding model trains this seems to be one of the best releases till date. I've not seen a flurry of any sort on various forums and Facebook.

Collectively from sources like facebook, rmweb, NGaugeForum and the Dapol Digest I have not seen more than 10 people complain. Out of those 10 many were happy to re-apply some glue and get the handrails back on. Again from collectively viewing the various sources the problems listed are:-
              - Gear tower/bogie not clipped in properly. 1 person reported this from what I saw and it was fixed in a couple of minutes.
              - About a handful of people complained about handrails falling off and majority of them were happy to glue them back. A couple of them were not present in the box and was returned for a refund or replacement.
              - A few people have complained about issues with the headlight lenses being a little crooked.

The real flurry has been on facebook and the "flurry" was outstandingly positive.

Last edited by JeremiahBunyan; 25 February 2018, 06:30.
              Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Will etched nameplates be available separately?

Comment

• deltic131
                  deltic131 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The catalogue specification says printed name plates with etched name plates supplied. Neither of my 2 loco's I have purchased have etched name plates supplied with them. A point for Dapol to make clear what the name plate position should be. Thank you.

For the enthusiasts for the Chiltern Mainline livery there is one set used on the Banbury commuter services which uses original format Mk3 coaches with hinged doors but in Mainline livery. Close up picture here of one coach next to the former "catering" vehicle which retains the original doors too. So possible to do the livery accurately even without modifying the moulds. http://lexamanda.com/subtalk/10_uk/DSC_0915_Banbury.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X