Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JeremiahBunyan
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds good. I hope we get some in RTR because I really don't want to be designing and 3D printing a rake.

• DavidInYork
    commented on 's reply
    First Mk5a set to arrive in this country is now here - arrived at Portbury docks yesterday and has ben taken to Longsight Depot in Manchester, where they will be based.

• DavidInYork
    commented on 's reply
    By the time Dapol do another batch, the two in Transpennine livery will probably be in use, along with more having been liveried. It's not a long-term project - the sets are due to start arriving later in the year and into next year.

As regards Mk5a (Mk5 are the Caledonian Sleeper ones), there are various example of locos being released with no specific stock, but it doesn't seem to stop people buying them, especially when they are likely to be used for other things as well. The driving trailer will probably be classified DTSO - DVT is definitely wrong as it's not a 'van'.

• JeremiahBunyan
    commented on 's reply
    "After all, there have been no Scotrail Mk2s or Chiltern Mk3s produced (as yet in the case of the latter), but the locos still seem popular."

Let's not forget that whilst RTR ScotRail Mk.2 and Mk.3 coaches do not exist there's still some sort of RTR Mk.2 and Mk.3 coaches available from GraFar and Dapol respectively. Decals are also available quite easily. I've come across a page on Facebook belonging to a person who does repainting etc. of model trains for a living and all I've seen pass through his workshop lately is ScotRail and DRS Mk.2 and Mk.3 coaches lately. Also seen people just do a simple repaint of existing Mk.3 coaches into Chiltern's livery and just use them regardless of the accuracy.

Mk.5 coaches however do not exist in any RTR form and I only know of 3 people who have intentions to make Mk.5 coach kits and a Mk.5 DVT, me included (I'm just going to call it that for the ease of it and I've seen people refer to it as a DVT).

• JeremiahBunyan
    commented on 's reply
    Well each to their own, I still think Dapol can wait a little while and probably release a couple of DRS ones and others and then do a TPE one when the two locos abroad come back to the UK and get into full revenue earning service here.

• DavidInYork
    commented on 's reply
    Afraid I don't see your point. The only OO ones which are reduced are from the initial batch of Chiltern ones, which have been improved on with the second release - hence people aren't buying those remaining from the first batch.

The TPE livery is mostly vinyls, so when TPE are ready to start using the locos it will probably take a matter of a few weeks to livery the whole lot up. Given that no models have appeared in this livery yet, it can hardly be a case of flooding the market and I can see absolutely no logic in leaving them until the production run after next. Assuming the permissions can be sorted, it would make sense to do them as part of the next batch (and probably not any more Chiltern / Scotrail ones, unless the Chiltern ones are done as part of a set with coaches in N).

• JeremiahBunyan
    commented on 's reply
    My point exactly David, both the TPE Class 68's are abroad. I was referring to them and not the de-branded/simplified DRS ones. I think Dapol can release other DRS ones for now (de-branded/simplified DRS liveries included) and then when the actual TPE ones get back a further batch can be done again with more DRS and Chiltern ones as well. Dapol need to also be careful of flooding the market.

Have a look at the OO gauge one, many are still available and some already on the discount shelves.

• DavidInYork
    commented on 's reply
    Not actually true. Most of the TPE locos are still in DRS livery, and have worked other trains (and I understand many of these have had the required modifications; they just haven't had the new livery applied yet). Of the two which have been reliveried (both of which are currently abroad), at least one has been used with Mk3s on training runs. It seems very likely that once more are liveried up and in use with TPE they will from time to time appear on other duties, especially when running them in after overhaul work - as happens with the Chiltern ones which regularly appear on engineers' trains after they've been to DRS for an exam.

• JeremiahBunyan
    commented on 's reply
    True, but so far the TPE Class 68s haven't worked other trains whereas the ScotRail and Chiltern Class 68s have been seen hauling a large variety of goods trains

• DavidInYork
    replied
    Originally posted by JeremiahBunyan View Post

I'm sure Dapol has the TPE Class 68 on their mind, afterall it's more money in the bank for them. However we'll have to wait and see as the TPE Class 68 will need matching Mk.5 coaches and a Mk.5 DVT.
    Ideally, yes, the coaches would be good but that would be a longer-term project. The loco would be just a straight re-livery of the existing model. After all, there have been no Scotrail Mk2s or Chiltern Mk3s produced (as yet in the case of the latter), but the locos still seem popular.

As regards the Mk5a coaches, not sure what the exact designation of the driving car is but it isn't DVT - it's a standard-class seated vehicle with a driving cab.

Leave a comment:

commented on 's reply
    Ah but that is where you are wrong. TPE start class 68 haulage from 20th May using two Mk3 sets in TnT mode, Monday to Friday, until the Mk5As enter service 'later this year'.

Also, please note that the Mk5 coach, is being delivered to Serco Caledonian Sleeper, though shares similarities with the Mk5A. It certainly does not work with class 68s.

• Joel Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    We are working on the permissions (and have been for some time) but like all these things sometimes it takes longer than you would wish. We hope to have some news soon though.

• JeremiahBunyan
    replied
    Originally posted by DavidInYork View Post
    Apologies if anyone has asked before, but are there any plans to do the TPE livery (in either / both gauges)?

Thanks
    I'm sure Dapol has the TPE Class 68 on their mind, afterall it's more money in the bank for them. However we'll have to wait and see as the TPE Class 68 will need matching Mk.5 coaches and a Mk.5 DVT.

Leave a comment:

• Vonzack
    commented on 's reply
    I'd love to see one of these too, not sure whether these will be seen too far away from their coaching duties, so might be of limited appeal unless a commitment to the Coaches and DVT are also in the pipeline

• baister1
    commented on 's reply
    Also keen to hear on this.
Working...
X