N Class 68 Opening post:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N Class 68 Opening post:

The N gauge class 68, was researched and placed into design stage mid 2015. This model is to be an all-new design, benefiting from our experiences with the the OO class 68. It is currently pending the release off the OO model and will be placed into tooling at that point.
    The model will be sound ready.
    Please note the CAD views attached are 'Generic' i.e. they represent an amalgam of features found across the variants of the prototype. As always we welcome constructive discussion and specific comments can be posted below.
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Great news Andy , look forward to getting several !
    Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Dapol View Post
      Please note the CAD views attached are 'Generic' i.e. they represent an amalgam of features found across the variants of the prototype. As always we welcome constructive discussion and specific comments can be posted below.
      Hi Andy,

This is great news, the OO gauge Class 68 looks spectacular. I cannot wait to see the N gauge version. However I cannot seen any pictures attached? Glitch in the forum or you've not uploaded the pictures by mistake? Would love to see the CAD work for these N gauge beasts.

Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

• Francis
        Francis commented
        Editing a comment
        Seems like a pretty sensible strategy, Andy. Hope all goes well with the 00 launch so that things can proceed to the N gauge one!

Good to see this method of contact opening up!

Best of luck

Adrian

Yeah, really looking forward to progress on this model.

Comment

Francis

Sir I think you've been getting mixed up with replying to a topic and commenting on a member's post. If you want to reply to a topic, scroll write down to the empty tab that has "Write something here..." in it. That helps you add a reply to the thread.

If you want to quote someone you can see at the bottom of each post is a "quote" button and can use that.

Comments are usually made if there's something very specific to be said at any given post.

HTH,
        Cheers!
        Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Are you likely to prosude unpowered dummy models (as with the 67s) in addition to the powered ones?

Comment

• Andy Dapol
            Andy Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            It's not something which has been considered up until now. Is this something which would be required do you think (I know some intermodal traffic is MU'd, also perhaps tailing railtours, or the occasional location movement ?) If the demand is there we'd certainly look at it.

• Joel Dapol
            Joel Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            The problem is cost. A few years ago when assembly rates were low, the cost of a loco minus the motor was relatively cheap. Unfortunately, with labour rates escalating the assembly cost as a proportion is now much higher and the net RRP between a dummy and motorised is not that significant. I personally think the days of viable dummy locomotives are finished I am afraid.

I think they would be useful - in addition to the intermodal traffic the 68s have appeared in pairs on nuclear trains, and top and tail on chaters (particularly the Northern Belle).

Comment

The Dummy versions of the 66 / 67 / 86 are useful especially in modern liveries, they are still being snapped up for good prices, there is a market for them IMHO.

Comment

Joel - thanks for explaining.
              Does the increased assembly costs have a similar impact where coaches are concerned? i.e. is a dummy loco much more expensive to assemble than a mk3 coach?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                Joel Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                Coach prices have been going up considerably as well and margins have been impacted. The major difference in the pricing model though is the tooling costs which are lower for coaches and the fact that it has a longer and more productive life. If it was not for this, my feelings are that coach prices would have had to double otherwise.

I will be going for several 68s because of the different liveries. I would also be interested in dummies as well despite the potential increase in prices.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
                Andy Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                Something we will certainly look at Ged.

Two comments I wanted to make on the subject of the class 68 and dummy locos:

1) Joel Dapol what is the ETA for the N gauge version, just even as a ball park? I've read elsewhere on this forum that the OO version will be available in Nov.

2) I've read other manufacturers statements in the past that the difference in cost between a working loco and a dummy is $5 - $10, ie. the cost of the motor. On that basis I could understand if Dapol can't make money from dummy locos. I still think they are important though.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                Joel Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                The N gauge is ready for tooling and when finances permit we shall start it. I would estimate (and it is an estimate) end of Summer 2017 for release. The whole thing about Dummy locos is that the cost of assembly is not that different from a powered locomotive and as the assembly cost is now a higher percentage of the overall costs than it was when Far Eastern labour was cheap, it makes their RRP not that different from the cost of a working product. I have said it on another thread the days of dummy locos in my view are numbered in my opinion.

Hi Joel and Andy
              Where can I find a list of codes for the Class 68s as I want to place an order with my local model shop for the different liveries?
              Cheers,
              Ged.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                JeremiahBunyan commented
                Editing a comment
                Dapol 2D-022-001 Class 68 68002 "Intrepid" in DRS livery
                Dapol 2D-022-002 Class 68 68005 "Defiant" in DRS livery
                Dapol 2D-022-003 Class 68 68010 in Chiltern livery
                Dapol 2D-022-004 Class 68 68014 in Chiltern livery
                Dapol 2D-022-005 Class 68 68006 "Daring" in Scotrail livery
                Dapol 2D-022-006 Class 68 68007 "Valiant" in Scotrail livery

Thanks Jeremiah. I will go ahead and order at least three, one of each livery.
              Cheers, Ged.

Comment

Apologies if anyone has asked before, but are there any plans to do the TPE livery (in either / both gauges)?

Thanks

Comment

• baister1
                baister1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Also keen to hear on this.

• Vonzack
                Vonzack commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd love to see one of these too, not sure whether these will be seen too far away from their coaching duties, so might be of limited appeal unless a commitment to the Coaches and DVT are also in the pipeline

• Joel Dapol
                Joel Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                We are working on the permissions (and have been for some time) but like all these things sometimes it takes longer than you would wish. We hope to have some news soon though.

Originally posted by DavidInYork View Post
              Apologies if anyone has asked before, but are there any plans to do the TPE livery (in either / both gauges)?

Thanks
              I'm sure Dapol has the TPE Class 68 on their mind, afterall it's more money in the bank for them. However we'll have to wait and see as the TPE Class 68 will need matching Mk.5 coaches and a Mk.5 DVT.
              Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

159220 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah but that is where you are wrong. TPE start class 68 haulage from 20th May using two Mk3 sets in TnT mode, Monday to Friday, until the Mk5As enter service 'later this year'.

Also, please note that the Mk5 coach, is being delivered to Serco Caledonian Sleeper, though shares similarities with the Mk5A. It certainly does not work with class 68s.
            Working...
            X