N gauge class 68 - second production run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N gauge class 68 - second production run

Hi everyone, recently I’ve noticed the third production run of OO Gauge class 68’s including the new plain DRS and TPE liveries, has been announced. So are there any plans for a second production run with these liveries, would go nice with some mk 5’s

Would love to see the TPE in N, would also have to add in the the mk5's and the dvt would be nice to go along with it as well as can see it having limited sales without. I can imagine that sales of the Scotrail 68 would also increase if suitable Mk2's were available.

Comment

Would definitely like to get a hold of 68s in the plain DRS livery and TPE. They have been seen out and about on the Network on other duties so lone engines would be OK. The TPE have been seen with some of the Pretendolino coaches, so that would make a nice set.

The Mk5's would need a different bogey design with an axle bearing as the bogies would not support pinpoints and a design approach like the bogey on the 220 Voyager would not be suitable.

Comment

• jacowin80
        jacowin80 commented
        Editing a comment
        A 68 with a rake of Pretendolino's would be a nice box set, they are getting rather hard to get hold of these days so a new release would be nice.

• Arthur Hodgett
        Arthur Hodgett commented
        Editing a comment
        Marvelous idea! Would love to have the one missing Pretendolino coach as well, even a compromise as long as it had the correct number, letter etc. It's only a livery, no changes required, so would be quick to produce.
        Which Pretendolino coaches would be needed for the rake for the 68? All of them or just a selection?

Judging by the brochure from Dapol announcing the third run of OO gauge Class 68s, they do seem thankful to TPE for allowing them to reproduce the livery on their stunning model. So I can guarantee that Dapol aren't going to waste that permission and not make one in N gauge.

I am fairly confident that Dapol will do a re-run of the N gauge Class 68s covering both the DRS liveries and the TPE one as well.
      Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

• DavidInYork
        DavidInYork commented
        Editing a comment
        Would definitely be interested in a TPE one.

With both gauges, are you aware that these have an extra socket on the front? It's in the same place as the Chiltern AAR socket, but is a different shape (rectangular), and painted grey.

• JeremiahBunyan
        JeremiahBunyan commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd like both Plain DRS and TPE but I can only realistically afford one. So TPE for me Joel and it will be a confirmed sale from my side.

• Cazadoom
        Cazadoom commented
        Editing a comment
        All please Joel

I think the below would suffice for a second run. Assuming there's plenty of stock left of the first batch left, I don't think two DRS compass liveried ones will be required.

68003 DRS Compass
      68019 TPE
      68030 DRS Plain

68003 and 68030 worked the single TPE loco hauled service last year, with 4 'Pretendolino' mk3's. Would male a nice little train. Maybe even re-run the mk3's, I'm sure they'll be in demand to use with the 68's.

Comment

I’d like to see 68032 in DRS plain as this loco has worked some Fife Circle Line services and would still be acceptable to use for TPE trains.

Comment

On the subject of 68s, are there any plans to produce coaches to go with the Chiltern ones? The obvious set to do is the slam-door set - the coaches could be done accurately (all just standard TSOs) and the only slight compromise would be the DVT which doesn't quite match the Dapol model now (it has grilles where the front set of sliding doors used to be) - I think most wuld consider the standard model fine, though.

It was talked about on here before, but I don't think Dapol gave any indication as to whether it was something they would be interested in taking forward.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
            Joel Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, we are interested, we have the slam door numbers thanks to a member here, we just need to consolidate into a future mark 3 run.

• woodbury22uk
            woodbury22uk commented
            Editing a comment
            Excellent news from #Joel Dapol. I am in for a full set.

I assume one of the hazards of producing models is being left with a significant number of odd coaches or wagons. I wonder if the HST sets which now have the two single coaches in the set will sell as well or perhaps better than the sets with two ordinary coaches did. This new way of doing these sets eliminates the possible hazard of being left with lots of the odd ones. Maybe sets are a way to go with the first issue of any loco. I personally would prefer sets with matching locos and stock, if we are given enough time to save for them. On your comment above, I wonder how many of Dapol's N customers would rather have a compromise like you have mentioned on the Chiltern DVT than maybe get nothing at all? I would have thought that bringing the few suggestions of compromised Mk3s' and DVT's would be ones that could be done quickly, but it's not my capital or return on it that's at risk

Comment

• DavidInYork
            DavidInYork commented
            Editing a comment
            The compromise with the DVT is pretty minor - they could even over-print the grille on if they wanted, in the same way as they have over-printed Mk3 windows which have been plated on the real coaches. I think it's pretty safe to say that it would sell OK - especially if a set with 68, DVT and a couple of coaches was done, then the others done separately.

A good comparison is the Wrexham & Shropshire set (done as a set with 67, DVT and two TSOs, then a separate pack with RFM and the other TSO). The inaccuracies with the RFM in this are considerably more noticeable than the grilles on Chiltern DVTs (the standard RFM model, as used, has a very different window layout to the actual vehicles). Nevertheless, these sold well originally and are currently fetching very high prices on ebay - far more than they cost as new.

Realistically, Dapol are never going to be able to do the Chiltern DVTs entirely accurately - it simply wouldn't be financially viable to tool it given that there are only six of them, and only one livery.
            Last edited by DavidInYork; 28 August 2018, 19:55.

That's good!

How are you intending to sell them? In set(s) or as indvidual coaches?

One thing to be aware of - two of the coaches are numbered as first-class, but are actually standard-class and should have standard-class interiors fitted - there are no first class coaches in the set. Those two were converted from first class but for some reason not renumbered. There are also a number of coaches in the power-door sets, plus all of the ATW TSOs, which were converted from first class, but all of those were renumbered so it's not clear why the two in the slam-door set weren't.

Comment

By the looks of things from photos streaming in from TINGS there seems to be some painted samples of more Class 68s. No clear pictures but they seem to match the forthcoming batch of OO gauge Class 68s with one TPE, one DRS plain blue and 2 DRS compass Class 68s. Photos are on the N Gauge Forum group on facebook
            Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Good news! Is there any known release date?

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              Not yet I'm afraid... I'm sure we'll get one when the next batch is formally announced by Dapol.

Any thoughts on the TPE mark 5A coaches to go with the 68s?

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              Heard a rumour. But won't say much.

The April/May Locomotives Illustrated is on Cass 68/88.. The Chiltern Railways locos are shown way out of area- Bescot -Toton on an engineers train, Yatton on a flask train, Torness-Carlisle flask train, in the Highlands on a Tesco train, Hemel Hempstead on ECS, at Dawlish in ECS (VT livery) to Crewe.Cleary showing the scope to run locos out of area.

Comment

Hi

is it possible to get an update from Dapol on the delivery date of the next batch of class 68s

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                Joel Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, they have just been dispatched from the factory now, so should be in store in around 5 weeks.

• JeremiahBunyan
                JeremiahBunyan commented
                Editing a comment
                Good news Joel!

Thanks Joel

Comment

Working...
              X