N Gauge Class 68 Exhaust Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N Gauge Class 68 Exhaust Box

I have been waiting for this model for ages and was not dissapointed when my model of 'Defiant' arrived, a superb model! However, there is one problem relating to the Exhaust Box. As i understsand it, the Exhaust Box is removed to access the lighting switches, i tried this and it wouldn't budge. I tried moving it from the inside of the body and it still wouldn't budge. Is there something i have mised here?? Unfortunately, i damaged the the Exhaust Box in the process and now need a replacement and it dosen't appear in the list of available parts. Has any one got any ideas or suggestions.
    Last edited by Kevin; 25 February 2018, 20:07.

After reading the manual, I had a look at that too, a quick wiggle of the exhaust and it wouldn't budge. To me it looks like it's glued onto the body, there are locating lugs (3 of them) on the inside and there look to be glue marks around them. I wondered if the actual openings in the exhaust would line up well enough to allow the switches to be moved by poking something through. Probably just easier to remover the body though. Hope you can get hold of a replacement for your model.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
      JeremiahBunyan commented
      Editing a comment
      If the switches are accessible by removing the body then I personally think it's fine. However if it is only accessible via the exhaust port then Dapol need to specify during the next production run that the exhaust port shouldn't be glued in.

A friendly reminder to Kevin, if in future things don't budge then leave it as is. For ages I've been wanting to blacken the wheels on my Hornby Class 60. But even after getting all the help I needed I couldn't remove the bogie frames. I left it as is. Spares are not always available and though it's always good to have a whole stock of spares. But spares also cost a company money and if spares just keep sitting around they aren't making a money. It's always easier to get a full model replaced.

Get in touch with Dapol or DCC Supplies, if they don't have a spare exhaust port see if a replacement body can be got (maybe some model had a faulty chassis and the body can be put to better use).
    Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

I have to say i thought better of Dapol, unfortunately they don't care they selling poor quality goods. I am in this position by following THEIR manual!!!! The attitude of their admin sales manager is disgusting and has purely passed the book on to DCC supplies. Lets face it they couldn't even get the DRS livery right the OO version. Absolute joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
        JeremiahBunyan commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm sorry but I must point out here, firstly you're only commenting out of sheer frustration. Secondly I still fail to understand why you used so much force that you damaged part of the model. If it didn't budge in the first place you could've posted here and asked for help rather than use any sort of damaging force. Thirdly they don't sell poor quality goods, 90% of my N gauge models are Dapol because none of my Graham Farish models were acceptable. And if you were a little more aware of how models are made you'll know that Dapol has the models manufactured for them in China. The OO gauge Class 68 had the livery spot on. Whoever was incharge of the printing didn't line up the printer correctly. So that's not an incorrect livery, it's simply mis-aligned and Dapol went to great lengths to re-issue brand new bodies (you conveniently forgot to mention what they did to correct it).

Next time if something doesn't come apart there's no need to go all HULK mode on it. Post here first and you'll get help.

To help others with this issue, I found mine was glued on also, but gently pressing from the inside with a ballpoint pen eventually broke the glue and the exhaust module came free with all three lugs still intact. A bit annoying that they are glued in when the manual says it's removable I agree. Sounds like you had a heavily glued one and it unfortunately broke.

The daft thing is the body is the easiest to remove of any N gauge model I've ever owned, so the switch access is probably redundant anyway.

I hope this doesn't put you off the 68, it's a superb model. I can't find fault with mine, so impressed on every level.

Comment

Jeremiah, Firstly - it was the attitude of Dapol that angered me and the fact is they only have profit in mind. They are not in the least bit bothered about customer care.
        Secondly - i did not go 'hulk' i placed my fingers either side of it and pulled and the little bits on the side broke off.
        Thirdly - I have 23 GraFar models each and everyone is perfect in all respects, perhaps Dapol should use same factory as Grafar 😂
        And finally, i do not appreciate being spoken to in the manner that you have done, and a most certainly i will not shouted out by you or any one else. In case you don't realise capital letters are deemed as SHOUTING.
        For the record, my class 68 will be sold back to the retailer for as much as i can get for it. I don't intend to purchase any further products from Dapol. Just a note from experience - Colas Rail 56 105 arrived with broken windscreen wipers. Network Rail JNA arrived with incorrect wheel sets.
        I have have to ask, do you work for Dapol. If not you should do. You would make a great PR ☺

Comment

JeremiahBunyan you are getting on my nerves with the way you are jumping in on people before even Dapol have chance to respond. I have read several of your replies now which quite frankly come across as rude. Believe it or not people have the right to come on here and ask Dapol (not you) questions and raise concerns. As it happens I to have damaged the cover on the roof as it is glued on, yet in the instruction book it tells you you can use this method of access. I really like the idea of this quick access without removing the whole body shell, as it reduces the risk of damaging the wiring, circuit board, lighting, handrails and other delicate parts, while removing. This makes it all the more annoying that it has been made so difficult, and potentially damaging.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
            JeremiahBunyan commented
            Editing a comment
            Offering advice to be careful when you know something is glued isn't rude.

There's a feature on this forum to block members. Feel free to block me.

• Richard Dallimore
            Richard Dallimore commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry but you seem to miss the point, I did not know about the glue until after I had removed the cover, it is in the manual that the cover can be removed for access, so it should not be glued.
            Last edited by Richard Dallimore; 4 March 2018, 17:22.
        Working...
        X