D1015 Western Champion in Golden Ochre livery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D1015 Western Champion in Golden Ochre livery

Is there any chance of Dapol producing D1015 Western Champion in Golden Ochre livery in N gauge?

It has worn this livery both in service in the 1960s and in preservation (albeit with some detail differences) so it would appeal to 2 eras of modelers. It is also a very smart livery and one that has not been done yet.

https://flic.kr/p/aaLcQU

Threatening with a light sabre will not help, Matt. Having just seen the reply by Joel to my Desert Sand enquiry I could also be tempted to have a Golden Ochre one, too

Comment

I do regret not producing Western Champion in golden ochre livery in the first batches. The problem is we need to produce the minimum order quantity and this and the special commission from Osborn Models would not come close. I feel the market is not ready for more maroon, blue or green versions.
      Regards
      Joel

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

OK, do you mean that an Ochre Champion would need to be produced as part of a larger (financially viable) run?

I can easily see Champion selling 250 units but if you need a minimum of 1000 models, I can see why it will not happen yet.

Hopefully you will consider adding it to the list when the Westerns next get a run.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Matt, yes exactly, we need to order around 1200 items across 4 or 5 liveries. So far we have a demand for around 450 of this with a Desert Sands
          and a Golden Ochre livery. I think one for 2017/2018 perhaps with some alternate named Maroon, green and blue versions.

When the Dapol Western was announced I joked that I'd end up buying one in green, one maroon and a blue one because I couldn't decide which livery I preferred. My other half has a Desert Sand Western Enterprise and between us we'd certainly buy a Golden Ochre Western. I can also see a weathered blue or weathered maroon Western joining my fleet at some point.

Comment

You cant have enough of a good thing. I think Farish showed that the odd liveries (like Chromatic Blue) didn't sell well, but that was a strange model to bring out as the first Bachmann Farish version, and their latter versions in more traditional liveries did sell better.
          I would happily have a golden ochre Western.

Comment

I would love a golden ochre Champion. I keep buying blue ones to rename with Shawplan etches, but I have a desert sand Enterprise too. I love this model and would really like to replace my fleet of 40 Farish ones! Can't have too much of a good thing.

I'm seriously contemplating OnlyMe's example and painting one golden ochre myself, but better done by the factory if my previous efforts are anything to go by!
            Last edited by Mustermark; 19th June 2016, 02:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustermark View Post

I'm seriously contemplating OnlyMe's example and painting one golden ochre myself, but better done by the factory if my previous efforts are anything to go by!
              Just don't do that awful 'T' shaped small yellow panel, Mark

Comment

Originally posted by newportnobby View Post

No, indeed. That was not a good look.

Comment

I'd certainly buy D1015 in golden ochre livery, would also like one in chromatic blue!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Andy Dapol; 30th June 2016, 13:09.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                    Chris Newman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Now i've seen that picture I feel a lot better!!! Thanks

Originally posted by newportnobby View Post

Originally posted by Mustermark View Post

No, indeed. That was not a good look.
                  Agree. It suffered that livery for a few days only, just before leaving Swindon. Let's not repeat that suffering, even in miniature

We - well I - want the livery worn between 25th January 1963 (when it left Swindon) and 8th November 1965, as shown by WesternKing.

Comment

Didn't that ghastly yellow "moustache" re-appear for a while in preservation ? I seem to recall seeing some photos and thinking "Oh no, not again !"

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                      Joel Dapol commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I liked it :-)

Another vote for Golden Ochre please and may be tempted by others

Comment

Originally posted by Joel Dapol
                      I liked it :-)
                      Sorry Joel ( Joel Dapol ), but I've just read your comment of Dec 1, 2016 and we can't let you get away with that. I can only imagine that you'd started on the Christmas sherry a little early, or you'd turned the calendar back 7 pages instead of forward 1.

Comment

I bought Western Enterprise in Desert Sand new from Osborns since then I bought Western Sovereign and so pleased with them ordered Western Nobleman and Western Consort on Sunday from Rails, bargain priced and new. Put me down for Golden Ochre please.

Comment

Working...
                        X