Class 50 EPs arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class 50 EPs arrived

Having reviewed the Class 50 EPs which recently arrived, I have requested a number to changes to the model.
    In the main these are simply a re-combination of tooling components, but there are a small number of tooling modifications, including the addition of the cab end sandbox filler access recesses. This work is currently in progress and I still aim to keep the model on track for the promised dates, however once the changes are complete I shall update the blog with further information.

I'll also edit this post with some photos once my camera battery has re-charged!
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Originally posted by Andy Dapol View Post
    Having reviewed the Class 50 EPs which recently arrived, I have requested a number to changes to the model.
    In the main these are simply a re-combination of tooling components, but there are a small number of tooling modifications, including the addition of the cab end sandbox filler access recesses. This work is currently in progress and I still aim to keep the model on track for the promised dates, however once the changes are complete I shall update the blog with further information.

I'll also edit this post with some photos once my camera battery has re-charged!
    I am eagerly looking forward to pictures of the EP samples Andy, hope to see them soon.

Cheers.
    Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

What is the estimated release date of the Class 50

Thanks

Comment

• Andy Dapol
        Andy Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        I am still planning on liveried samples by October, with production towards the end of the year.
        However due to the un-refurbished corrections requiring some tool-room time, I won't be able to confirm this for some weeks until I have the next production meeting.

Andy Dapol have the EP samples been photographed yet?
      Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

• Andy Dapol
        Andy Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Whoa chap, I'm still sipping my morning coffee

Having topped up with caffeine and electricity (hopefully to the correct items) here are the E.P. Shots.

There are a few minor tweaks to each, but the refurbished EP has a number of errors. Many of these are due to an invalid combination of mould parts being used, but some, such as the addition of sandbox access cut-outs and grills require modification to the tooling (you may note some changes are roughly marked up). I anticipate that this will not cause too much of a delay, but until corrected shots have been received and a production review I cannot confirm dates for sure.
      Regards
      Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• Jcmjcm
        Jcmjcm commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Andy
        Thank you for posting the pictures. What is the featured on top of the headcode box.
        Is it just some packaging? Looking at prototype photos this area appears flat but perhaps it is just present on some locomotives or at certain time periods and is just a tooling option.

• Andy Dapol
        Andy Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Jcmjcm. I believe you are referring to the radio pod? This is the NRN antenna pod, its optional depending on the era the model is intended to depict and for that reason I am including it in the customer fitted parts bag. Samples such as these can have seemingly strange or out of era features as the are effectively test builds to ensure all parts fit correctly etc.

These look very nice indeed. Is there any chance of a side view and a front view? It may be a function of the camera angle but there looks like a tiny bit of asymmetry in the main cab front windows.
      Last edited by Western Cyclist; 11th June 2018, 20:31. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Looks like the wait is going to be most definitely worth it!

Comment

I’ve been studying the EP against a prototype photo and would like to make the following observations regarding the refurbished EP:

1) It looks to me like the step beneath the headlight is too high (too close to the headlight)
          2) the lamp irons beneath the tail lights look to be too low
          3) the multiple operation jumper cable attachments are wrong: the bit nearest to the headlight should be higher than the headlight and also higher than the socket at the other end of the cable
          4) I am not sure about the windscreens; they look to me to be a little too high in terms of top to bottom distance. I think that maybe if the top edge came down a little bit they would look better.

Those are the items that I noticed and you may already be aware of them yourself. I haven’t looked in detail at anything other than the cab fronts as, for me, the “face” is the most important bit to get right. Of course, you have the benefit of scale drawings, accurate measurements etc. whilst I am going on two pictures, side by side, taken from slightly different angles. This is clearly streets ahead of the Farish 50, but I feel that a few tweaks here and there would produce an outstanding model. I’ve ordered well over a grand's worth of these so I would really like to see this model as good as it can be.

Comment

I assume the 50 will use the new drive mechanism developed for the 68?.... I was well impressed by the new mech - much better than the noisy, rough running of the old mechanics!

Comment

• Joel Dapol
              Joel Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              yes, mechanical and electricals will be very similar.

Hi

Couple of question, difficult to tell from the EP pictures?

1. Do the cabs taper in from the cab doors to nose?
            2. Does the lower edge of the body between the cab door and nose end have the second curvature? (can been seen on the side line just below the grills)

Darren

Comment

Thanks to all posters for your comment and I appreciate your assistance. I'm taking all on board as part of my EP review and will verify dimensions and positioning as suggested.
              It can be difficult to post every view here , although I shall post further views, often the livery artwork is a good 2nd reference.It is produced from the CAD and will show the relationship and positioning of features without the inevitable difficulties of photograph angles.
              Regards
              Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• Scruff
                Scruff commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for posting Andy.. the only thing that is standing out to me is the multiple working sockets, they just don't seem to be the correct shape, especially the receiving box on the right.

Cheers
                Mark

The grills look better on the refurbished one. The ones on the unrefurbished one are definately too tall and the body side windows too high. There’s not enough curve on the top of the nose and I’m not sure about the windscreens position. However this might be the first time anyone in any scale seems to have got the actual windscreen shape right.
              The food cantrail drops down over the cab on the real locos and I wonder if the headcode box is too small? Otherwise looks good.

Comment

Hi Jim, Thanks for your comments, yes all noted. It is difficult to judge from a photo as when one holds or looks at a 3D object we can change viewing angles easily if something dosn't look quiet right.
                Regarding the nose etc. take a look at the artwork, this shows the model in a way that photos sometimes do not and also shows how the decoration 'fits' the shape of the model. I think the issue with the headcode is that camera angles and lighting can deceive, especially when the model is entirely black. Windows are particular prone to this, when undecorated the camera highlights the interior moulding of the glazing which makes corners and edges look 'odd'. If I understand your comment on the cantrail correctly, then you are referring to the front gutter which is straight (sorry) and formed in a shallow inverted 'V' above the centre of the front windows. Cantrails are printed on the model, and depending on the livery do curve in a number of places.
                Regards
                Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Working...
                X