Class 50 update (N Gauge)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class 50 update (N Gauge)

We're please to say that as part of our continuous review of N gauge products, the Class 50 project is now proceeding.
    During the holding period, we have completely re-engineered the model and it will now contain our new benchmark electronics and mechanicals. This means the model will be produced to the same standard as the class 68.
    • Next-18 decoder
    • DCC Sound ready
    • Full lighting control (Independent front/rear lamps, cab lights etc.) for both DC & DCC users.
    • New whisper quiet motor and chassis

We are currently aiming for production late Q3 2018.
    I would normally post CAD shots, but since it still looks just like a 50 on the outside then I've omitted this for now
    I'll be updating with further information over the coming weeks and months as the model progresses through various stages.
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Woohoo! 12 months to save.

Any info on liveries please?

Comment

• Ed-Farms
      Ed-Farms commented
      Editing a comment
      Please keep Illustrious in Original Network Southeast, that was the first 50 I was pulled by and it carried that livery at the time. Plus I belive it had the engine that was once fitted to DP2 inside, does that mean I can claim to have been pulled by DP2?

37058 commented
      Editing a comment
      It was 50050 that carried DP2s power unit for a short while ED.

Cheers
      Anthony

• DavidInYork
      DavidInYork commented
      Editing a comment
      Thnk you will find that the power unit from DP2 went in several 50s over the years as it became part of the CLass 50 engine pool after DP2 was broken up. Whether it was in 37 ot 50 at any point I don't know - not seen them quoted, but equally it might have been.

Several Class 50s did at one time or another have engines based on a Class 40 block (and vice-versa), and at least one 50 had a Class 56 block towards the end of its life - the engines in all three classes were fairly similar.

Absolutely fantastic news Andy. I was grinning like a cheshire cat after your announcement on Saturday

Looking forward to seeing devolopments.

Cheers
    Anthony

Comment

• Scruff
      Scruff commented
      Editing a comment
      I totally echo these comments.. good luck with the project Andy.. can't wait to buy them!

That's some excellent stuff. Can't wait to see this progress.
    Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Dapol have put up an update regarding the Class 50 now....
      https://www.dapol.co.uk/Class-50-Hoover
      Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Hi Joel, Although not able to get to the open day the snippets of news "leaking out" is good to hear, but I would like to ask (re your post 2.1 above), Is the original list still valid, or can you sneak on an extra livery variant, revised/late Network Southeast. (pretty please).

Having read the link provided by Jeremiah I am impressed by the spec for this new "Beast"!! does the new motor mean that a couple of unmentionable, keenly awaited Steamers may benefit and see the light of day at long last!!! (i'll get my hat and coat & go)LOL)

Chris

Comment

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          HI Chris, we will be posting the slide show from the open day soon, so you can see yourself what was said. The new motor in the Class 50 is an iron core motor, so will not be the same as we had in mind for the steamers. We are working on these right now, but cannot say when and if they will go ahead just yet.

Your suggestion of late NSE id a really good one, but I think two NSE variants for batch one will be too much and as the as the original built one has some pre-orders already, I think this will be in batch one with the later NSE in a subsequent batch, sorry :-(

• Chris Newman
          Chris Newman commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Joel. OK , bit of a no brainer there then but you can't blame an enthusiast for wishing--and hoping!! But i hope serious consideration given for a later batch!!

Re Motors "We are working on these right now, but cannot say when and if they will go ahead just yet" personally from what I've seen so far you are definitely on the "right track" (pun intended), and will only be a matter of time before you make an announcement!! of that I'm quite sure.

Patience is a virtue--you and your team have displayed great presence in keeping a "level head" since Brexit, and look what you're achieving!!---Keep up the good work!!

Chris

I echo Chris Newman's thoughts... patience is a virtue, Dapol have clearly kept a level head, ignored the naysayers and they've achieved a bit.
        Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

PaulShanahanUK the liveries and product codes are now up on Dapol's website. Please check out the link below.
          https://www.dapol.co.uk/Class-50-Hoover
          Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

• PaulShanahanUK
            PaulShanahanUK commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome! And sounds versions too! Leviathan sound is definitely on the purchase list then!

I would normally post CAD shots, but since it still looks just like a 50 on the outside then I've omitted this for now
          I'll be updating with further information over the coming weeks and months as the model progresses through various stages.
          Hello Andy Dapol I have a few queries...

Is the CAD for the body the same? i.e. are you'll only have the internal and basically electric parts re-designed? Or is the Class 50 going to be completely re-designed from the ground up? As yu've said in your OP it has been completely re-engineered, does that mean the whole thing re-designed or just the internal electronics?

If the CAD for the body is going to be the same I have some points for Dapol's development team to note down. However this I will PM you with after clarification from your end as I don't want to start another discussion on errors resulting in some worthless Dapol bashing.
          Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

I can't wait for these to come out. So pleased they are out of the sidings and back on track.
            One question. Will you be making the sound chips available as a separate item in the future. So if I buy a standard one I could upgrade it at a later date.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
              Joel Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Simon, yes the sound project will be available separately..

Thanks Joel, that's great news, means I can buy more when they come out and upgrade them slowly.

Comment

Hi Joel, in your reply to Simon #10.1, good news indeed, do you foresee this possibly being the way forward for other new projects and upgraded re-runs of old favourites like class 52s???

Chris

PS I'm moving on to other posts that I'd like to hear your thoughts/comments on like 52's and Bubble cars (so do try to keep up please)LOL)
              Last edited by Chris Newman; 6 October 2017, 13:27. Reason: to add an after thought

Comment

Hi to all at Dapol.
                Just a quick message to say thanks for the class 50 models. They are a cracking model, got 2, a third on the way and plans for another 1 or 2 from this batch.
                looking forward to the second batch!
                Cheers
                Mark.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
                  Andy Dapol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for your comments Scruff. Next batch will probably be announced early summer, (once production returns to normal).
              Working...
              X