No announcement yet.

N Gauge Class 50 Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I pretty much agree with JR_P. Promised release dates for Dapol and Graham Farish models have pretty much become a joke and I think few people take them seriously any more. As a result I, and I'm sure many others, have abandoned pre-ordering as its a waste of time and you never know when you are actually going to get a model in your hands!!
    So pre-order figures can no longer be a reliable indicator in the interest customers have in a new product.

Comment

To my mind as long as no money changes hands until the model is posted out by the retailer I see no problems in placing pre orders. I do that for Dapol, Farish, DJ Models and, more recently, RevolutioN trains. It 'reserves' me what I want and I can cancel it at any time before arrival on these shores. There are far too many models where, if I had not used this system, I would not be in possession of them now.

Comment

Whilst I never actually pre-ordered any 50's, I would certainly have bought at least 2 from the first batch - large logo and original NSE. Possibly others but it depends on how much I had available to spend at the time. My main problem with pre-orders is certain shops (Hattons for one) take your card details and if the model lands unexpectedly you can get hit with payment earlier than expected. If 2 or 3 models arrive at once then you can be in big trouble with the missus

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
          JeremiahBunyan commented
          Editing a comment
          Also heard from many modelers that models were delayed to market by which time they'd forgotten they pre-ordered something and sometimes had a different credit card by then.

Rather than pre-order I wait until my local(ish) retailer is about to receive a delivery (he lets me know when) and then I reserve one. When they arrive I also get a chance to test the loco on the retailer's test track before purchase to make sure I get a good one. In fact I've stopped buying locos online because of the number of instances where the received loco hasn't worked properly - and no - this problem is not restricted to just Dapol locos. OK it costs a bit more from my retailer but I have peace of mind that its gonna work.

Bob Austin

Comment

Just been glancing through the CAD images and noticed that the NEM coupling pocket gets in the way of the bufferbeam details. This is a very common feature in many CAD images but it's usually the coupling itself and not the pocket. I tend to collect more locomotives and virtually no rolling stock. Therefore I end up adding the details to both ends. So what does Dapol plan to do here? Won't the coupling pockets hamper the detailing parts and vice versa? Andy Dapol
          Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

I do hope the Class 50 is back on track soon and I cannot wait for it.

One day I hope to see Dapol do #50 007 "Sir Edward Elgar" (maybe as a Dapol Collector's Club Exclusive) and #50 015 "Valiant" in Civil Engineer Dutch livery.
            Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

• Steve-Spotter
              Steve-Spotter commented
              Editing a comment
              Did you have a crystal ball Jeremiah? If so, any chance of next weekends lottery numbers haha. Glad to see both these are on the list for release.

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              Shusssh! You're letting my secrets out... lol

There is so many 50's that are crying of for special models

D400/50050 - either 1967 or 1991 style
            50007 Sir Edward Elgar in GWR Green
            50008 Thunderer in Laira Blue
            50015 Valiant in Dutch
            50019 Ramillies in Laira Blue
            50031 Hood in Large Logo Blue - 1 of the railtour 5
            50031 Hood in Intercity Swallow (preserved)
            50033 Glorious in NSE - 1 of the railtour 5, specifically part of the main 3 with D400 or 50007
            50037 Illustrious in Laira Blue (triple pack with 8 and 19 anyone?)
            50135 in Loadhaul (preserved)
            50149 Defiance in Railfreight Grey
            D444 Exeter in 2 Tone Green (preserved)

Plenty of options there for comissions to give us all the 50 we want

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              And I do hate those who are constantly spreading rumours on social media stating as if it were fact that Dapol have cancelled the models said to be "In Abeyance"

• Vonzack
              Vonzack commented
              Editing a comment
              There do seem to be a number of people who want this project to go ahead, but as Joel says, the pre-orders were not sufficient. I wonder if Dapol might change tack and ask for 'Expressions of Interest' or even Crowd Fund the project, so that they can be a little more sure of the order levels they are going to get.

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              Dapol in the past have said that they won't adopt the method of crowd-funding as it's not their way of working. Maybe RevolutioN Trains can take it up and if successful maybe they'll commission Dapol since the CAD is ready.

Joel Dapol pre-orders from traders (or the public) are a bit chicken and egg ie if there is no real impetus to place pre-orders then retailers won't unless reminded of deadlines or incentivised to do so. Even if a retailer is getting a lot of interest from the public then there is no guarantee that translates into pre-orders being made to Dapol until the last minute for orders! A difficult situation which can probably only be solved by better communication with retailers.

JeremiahBunyan - Dapol asked for expressions of interest in the prototype HST, albeit without making it easy for people or being particularly clear about what was being offered (and yes I did suggest to Joel ways to improve the taking of expressions of interest). Pre-orders or expressions of interest are a great way of testing the market, but they require a lot of work in communicating clearly. Same with crowdfunding, there seems to be a perception that it is easy and it most definitely isn't! I'm not sure how we (Revolution) could really add much to what Dapol can offer at the moment - Dapol is a significantly larger company with much greater reach than we do (both to the public and a retail network).

Cheers, Mike

Comment

• Joel Dapol
              Joel Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Mike, our system seems to work for to an extent for everything else. For example our HST sets, I have had to increase the volumes on several of the variants, same for the Class 68 and other models for which there is an apparent demand.The Class 50 was way down on these. I am not saying there is not room for improvement in the way we operate (there definitely is) but it does give us a good indication and in my view much better than well meaning but unsubstantiated estimates on sales volumes

• PaulShanahanUK
              PaulShanahanUK commented
              Editing a comment
              Joel Dapol - Is there a formal process to express interest in models? I can understand that retailers would be one source, but what about people like me, who don't actually go to retailers to see what's possible? Most of my info actually comes from this forum, info I wouldn't have access to without being a member. Personally, I'd love to upgrade/replace the 2 dilapidated Farish units I have...

I think I may be one of the silent majority.
            I had plans to buy two of the first releases of the class 50 having decided long ago not to buy the old Farish model. I pre ordered them with a retailer and i dont believe that they were ever ordered by them.
            I would love to see the class 50 project proceed but in the meantime I've got 3 class 56's and a 33 to go at.
            I hope the decision is a positive one.

cheers
            Mark

Comment

• PaulShanahanUK
              PaulShanahanUK commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I would fall into that category too, but then, I have no idea what the formal process is for expressing interest. I suspect a number of people are on the same train, pun intended!

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
            I think I may be one of the silent majority.
            I had plans to buy two of the first releases of the class 50 having decided long ago not to buy the old Farish model. I pre ordered them with a retailer and i dont believe that they were ever ordered by them.
            I would love to see the class 50 project proceed but in the meantime I've got 3 class 56's and a 33 to go at.
            I hope the decision is a positive one.

cheers
            Mark
            Me likewise.
            I'm not surprised that the prorotype HST was of limited interest, and even if it had been more clearly explained it would probably have been marginal at best as to viability. With the 50 though, I find it really hard to believe that there wouldn't be sufficient demand for a model of pretty much the only major BR-era diesel which isn't available as a decent modern-standard N-gauge model at present.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              Sometimes it's hard to believe what models don't get much interest. I'm still surprised that modern era EMUs and AC electrics don't have as much interest as I thought they'd have. I'm grateful to Dapol for their Class 86 and RevolutioN for their Class 92. I'd love to see a Class 87 and Class 90 too. A Class 50 in specific liveries I'd mentioned earlier is also something I'd love for my collection, however the more I think about it the more I wonder why Graham Farish never released as many Class 50's as I'd again thought they would've.

Likewise I had 1 pre ordered, but the intention was always to buy more. I have 6 56's so far but could never order those all at once, so pre orders don't seem the best way to judge. It's a shame it's not just cancelled so someone else could have a go at it. I can't see how anyone will do that whilst it's just hanging there. In the meantime I await my CJM version. Was interested to hear that demand for his went up with dapols announcement, and at the price of them there really must be demand for a rtr modern 50.

Comment

According to a Facebook update the Class 50 is no more "In Abeyance". It's apparently close to tooling and is due sometime in 2018.

This year the N gauge Collector's Cloud special edition Inn N gauge is the GWR liveried Class 50
              Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

• steam-driven boy
                steam-driven boy commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi,
                Also posted on the N Gauge Forum by 'acko22' - PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR's Gareth: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/in...opic=36933.225 as topic Reply #238 -
                "NEWS FROM CHIRK DAPOL ARE RESTARING ON THE 50s
                Due out Q3 2018 liveries and numbers to be decided - Only one confirmed 50007 Sir Edward Elgar as a club special in GWR colours"

Again, someone I felt totally confident in quoting on the RMweb topic.

I guess from his comments that Dapol are understandably taking the opportunity of reviewing their previous choices of number/name/livery options for the initial release. As mentioned here, 50007 as a Collectors Club issue would be an excellent choice.

Regards, Gerry.

• PaulShanahanUK
                PaulShanahanUK commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent! That is good news then. I'll consider holding off purchasing older Farish ones now then. Save the pennies for some nice new ones!

• JeremiahBunyan
                JeremiahBunyan commented
                Editing a comment
                Better still from what I hear, all those locos "in abeyance" which are now moving forward will all have updated specs eg: Next18 DCC sockets etc etc. The DCC savvy people here can elaborate on it.

However Dapol have said that a full summary of these announcements will be up shortly.

That will be 50 007 Sir Edward Elgar then, put me down for one please.

Comment

• Scruff
                Scruff commented
                Editing a comment
                And one for me too please... oops..best rejoin the collectors club!

• Neil Dapol
                Neil Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                You would be more than welcome to rejoin Scruff, you can do this via the website, at one of our trade stands at the various trade shows we attend or give the sales team a call.

• Scruff
                Scruff commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Neil..

That really is great news about the 50! I was only wondering this morning if Farish would announce one, using the small-wheeled 55 bogies.

Comment

Joel, Please can you confirm if the original list published will be the first releases, or will the first batch be completely new. As I have 50037 in NSE on pre order.

Also will order forms for 50 007 be in the next club magazine?

Comment

• Neil Dapol
                  Neil Dapol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi voyager220004, a full press release will go up soon to explain all in more detail. The next club magazine should have order forms in it to photocopy and send back to dapol. They will also be avaliable in the club section of the digest as well as being sent out with renewal forms or new membership packs.
              Working...
              X