N Gauge Class 50 Development

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N Gauge Class 50 Development

At the time of writing the '50 design is complete and pending tooling.
    The main reason for delays with this model this has been my involvement in other projects. However, the good news is that the CAD is complete (once listed changes have been made) and when an appropriate timeslot has arrived we will be commencing work on the tooling.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Class 50 A_3D.png
Views:	187
Size:	743.9 KB
ID:	310 Click image for larger version

Name:	Class 50 B_3D.png
Views:	143
Size:	519.3 KB
ID:	311

'In Hand' changes to published CAD
    1. Delete 'Rim' around edge of cab windows
    2. Slightly recess the upper half of the cab door. Cab door profile slightly incorrect (the door is not flat around the window)
    3. Reduce prominence of the lifting bracket hinges. Brackets nearest the cab steps are too long (do not protrude below the handrail)
    4. Add handbrake mechanism recess below the handrail
    5. Extend No.1 end cab guttering over the radiator grilles and clean air compartment. (Currently missing)
    6. Add roof vent fan is missing.
    7. Extend gutters at No, 2. end beyond the inner cab door handrail.

Last edited by Andy Dapol; 1st June 2016, 21:49. Reason: Added list of 'tweaks'
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Looks nice mate

Comment

FWIW if i may the lamp brackets a tad low? and mu socket should be a cube-ish shape . Will the lifting lugs be etch bits with the hole or a user fit part? Otherwise a mega wow and much more 50 like than before- a bar raiser for an iconic prototype- I am sure a policy of releasing all 50 names will see some collecting fun! Cannot wait to see EP shots
      Robert

Comment

• Andy Dapol
        Andy Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the comments Robert. The good thing is there is still time to make changes. I have a list of additional tweaks [somewhere!] which I shall post shortly.

• Scruff
        Scruff commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Robert, I just compared a photo to the CAD drawing and the lamp brackets seem to start in the right place but are a tad too short

Cheers
        Mark

Especially large logo and Network South East shame you wont have these ready this year for the 30th anniversary of NSE, could have sold loads of extras under that banner.

Comment

Hi Andy,

The work you have done looks good....but I detect on these CADs that the roofline of the head code box looks as if it slopes backwards.....I don't think this is quite evident on the real thing...

later,
        Stu from EGDL.
        Last edited by Stu from EGDL; 14th June 2016, 21:06.

Comment

Looks really good, particularly the shape of the cab windows, which many manufacturers have tried and failed to get right. It's hard to judge but is the ledge beneath he cab windows prominent enough?

On of the big downsides of the old GF 50 was the nose shape just didn't have that ledge and needed bulking out with plasticard and filler...

Comment

Looks fantastic.. I noticed there are small (brake?) pipes missing from the bogie, just in front of the drivers top footstep, as well as behind the two brake cylinders Click image for larger version

Name:	class50detail2.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	702

Cheers
            Mark
            Last edited by Scruff; 14th June 2016, 23:13.

Comment

They painted this one white so we could see it!!

Cheers
              Mark

Comment

Hi Andy,

I really must say that I am very impressed with the Class 50's CAD work. Cannot wait to see EP samples.
                Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Andy Dapol . The Multiple working receptacle seems to be the wrong shape and in the wrong position.. It might also be the cause of the lamp iron issue.. Hope you don't mind me rabbiting on!

Cheers
                  Mark
                  Last edited by Scruff; 20th June 2016, 22:47. Reason: added a thought...

Comment

Thanks for posting these pics Andy. They certainly look great, capturing the impressive look of these beasts. All the best with selling heaps of them.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
                      Andy Dapol commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No problem! Some changes to be made, per comments here. There are also a few more, which I shall compile and post here in the near future.

I'm looking at the NEM pocket and wondering if this is not projecting too far forward relative to the loco body?
                    On some loco's I find that even with the Easi-shunt short coupler there is too much gap created between the loco and rolling stock.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
                      Andy Dapol commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks, I'll look at this David.
                      Last edited by Andy Dapol; 29th June 2016, 09:26. Reason: typo

• JeremiahBunyan
                      JeremiahBunyan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have to agree with David here..If you look closely at the CAD the NEM pocket seems to be a non-removable part i.e. moulded along with the main bogie frames. And if you look closer the detailing bits from the CAD are actually hanging in the NEM pocket.

Is there any way to rectify this? If the NEM pocket is pushed back then the wheel risks loosing it's motorized ability...Unless the NEM pocket is (made) removable?

I would Like to nominate a Livery for contention--it is 50044/D444 in preservation in 2tone Green SYP (found as a google search "Images of D444" will take you to a pic or two)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                      I would Like to nominate a Livery for contention--it is 50044/D444 in preservation in 2tone Green SYP (found as a google search "Images of D444" will take you to a pic or two)
                      Here is a nice image. Honestly didn't know it existed. And since I love one-off things, I'll gladly wait until Dapol makes it or repaint it when time permits.

http://www.railblue.com/Pictures/SOT...SVR_170505.jpg
                      Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

• Chris Newman
                        Chris Newman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Definitely a "What should have been" if they had been built earlier or the WR had got their hands on them sooner might have taken the names of some their old 47's, "Odin" "Mammoth" etc!!!

Sorry for pitching into this thread late but I have one thought. The tumblehome along the majority of the bodyside does not look pronounced enough. It looks a bit too slab-sided (although this may just be the angle that the CAD image is presented at).

If you look at the real thing, the tumblehome between the cab doors is quite pronounced. It is only at the ends where it gets absorbed into the general squareness of the cab. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X