Class 50 Coupling problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class 50 Coupling problem

I have just fitted sound to my Sir Edwar Elgar and have tried to use it to pull stock for the first time. However it won't stay coupled at either end. Both couplings point up from the horizontal enough to decline to couple !! I have taken the coupling off and the molding doesn't look untoward, but have lost the little spring!! Has anyone else had this problem? Spare couplings are available, but the picture doesn't show the spring. Is it a hot water job to try and bend to coupling holder ?

My 50s really struggle to stay coupled due to the very short coupler. Hoping to replace with a bigger one.

Comment

It may seem a little extreme but I replaced all my dapol coaches hst power cars and class 50 couplings with hunt couplings, in fact all my locos now have them fitted, as well certain items of rolling stock that usually attach to a loco. One other little thing to watch with couplers on the class 50, is occasionally they will catch on one of the brake pipes and that can cause a few problems.

Comment

• Arthur Hodgett
        Arthur Hodgett commented
        Editing a comment
        I emailed west hill wagon works about the differences between their elite and Buckeye couplings, as i couldn't see what the difference was, but not had a reply yet !!!

Hi re upward pointing coupling I use dapols magnetic spring couplings and have had no problems at all. however a simple fix is to remove the std nem coupler from pocket (Long or short) and using hot water / radiator or just put in the sunlight for a bit to make them more pliable and bend the coupler to suit then refit . bending them cold (winter time) massively risks snapping them hope that sorts problem out for you

Comment

The spares situation on lots of models is very concerning. When spending hundreds of pounds on a model, one expects to be able to buy spares !!!
        The class 50 coupling spring is a point in question - not available. It's very poorly retained and nearly impossible to find once lost. I don't want to try and measure the diameter of the one remaining spring, is it's spec available please ?

Comment

Hi Arthur,
          I'm at a bit of a loss as I'm only aware of one coupling spring on the class 50 and that is a curved wire, retained by means of threading through a hole in the coupling arm. It would require disassembly of the entire loco to remove it.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	50 coupling.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	9861
          Kind regards
          Andy
          Regards
          Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• Arthur Hodgett
            Arthur Hodgett commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Andy, Thanks for the reply, but I couldn't see a hole in mine, nor in the picture above. If I remember correctly the coupling assembly comes off just by removing two screws. When you remove the coupling arm the spring takes off, as mine is not retained at all. A hole would be a really good idea. I have bought some 0.4mm springy wire from a well known site, it was the smallest they had, but it may be too large, I have yet to try it.

Hi Arthur

dcc supplies show a coupling assembly for £2.40 (No spring tho) or in the extreme a complete chassis for £75 is all I could find re spares unsure if piano wire thin enough to fix missing spring is available to diy a repair. Looking at my Edward Elgar if the coupling is pushed to the side far enough you should just make out the thin wire on the good end of your loco to see shape and i think its held there by 2 screws above bogie for access .Possibly its still there and just the plastic retaining lug on the coupling pocket jumped over it fingers crossed for you buddy

Comment

• Arthur Hodgett
            Arthur Hodgett commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, thanks for the comment, but I had taken the coupling assembly off as you say by undoing the two screws to try the hot water softening idea that I have used before. I would have been more careful if I had known the spring wasn't retained. I do find the NEM couplings very poor and for example drive my HST's backwards. The magnetic couplings on the Voyager are much better at staying coupled IMO.

hi Arthur

With 40 yrs +++ collecting and modelling N gauge I have lost plenty of bits over the years servicing loco's the good thing is the part you've lost is ferrous or more importantly magnetic id use an old speaker near where you think it may be at or just about everywhere it could of gone and listen for out for a tiny ting you never know your luck I've found plenty of impossible to find items using that old nugget it is very effective and bigger is better when it comes to magnets again very best of luck to you Arthur

Comment

Working...
          X