Prototype and Production MK3 Trailer Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prototype and Production MK3 Trailer Questions

Excited about the Prototype HST project and given my love of the MK3's I may just have to get a complete set.

Originally posted by Andy Dapol View Post
    Coaches:[*]New Tooling
    • Recessed door handles
    • Without window bezels
    • Loco-Hauled type roof
    • Without CDL indicator blister
    • Buffers
    [*]Light-bar ready[*]Fitted pickups[*]NEM Coupling pockets[*]Accessory pack.[*]Available as 2 x 4 car sets
    I have a few questions regarding the future of the Prototype MK3 tooling.

---

After production of the prototype HST coaches do you intend to for future batches of MK3A coaches to use the new "Loco-Hauled type roof"?

---

Alternatively or in addition do you intend to release the "Loco-Hauled type roof" separately at all for modelers who wish to fit the correct roofs to your current range of MK3's?
    For example to give those who purchased a production run which is unlikely to be repeated such as the C&M Models commissioned Scotrail coaches the correct MK3A roof's (Having personally missed this commission would love for a repeat)

---

Finally has any thought been given to the prototype MK3s converted to HST stock and still in use today?
    It could be a opportunity to release the prototype coaches in a few more colours before the tooling is changed.
    If viable potentially more suited to a collectors club or commissioned Model with a low number produced.

5 of the prototype coaches were converted in 1982 into HST TF. According to the 2016 Platform 5 Book all 5 are still in service today.

1 No 2 No 1986 ... 2016
    FO TF TF ...
    11002 - 41001 - 41170 ... 41170 TF East Coast
    11003 - 41002 - 41174 ... 42357 TS East Coast
    SO TS TF ...
    12000 - 42000 - 41172 ... 42355 TS East Coast
    12002 - 42001 - 41171 ... 42353 TS Great Western
    12003 - 42002 - 41173 ... 42356 TS Great Western

Currently (today, 2016) these coaches have new style doors and CDL indicators whilst retaining the Loco-Hauled type roof and Bezel-less windows Loco-Hauled type roof with Virgin Cross Country and East Coast. The Great Wester example appear to have had further modifications made to them.
    I have not found Pictures of these in their BR days so don't know which doors they had then.

Probably not be a worth while project but if there is an opportunity to sell a few more coaches before the costly Tooling changes (which wont be possible after) I am sure some people (Possibly accountants and MK3 fanatics) happier .

---
    Thanks David.

I agree with Dave that it would be great to have replacement roofs made available for those of us with existing LH Mk3s to replace the roof with the correct air-con set up.

Cheers, Mike

Comment

• Vonzack
      Vonzack commented
      Editing a comment
      Apologies, another question, there appear to be two different versions of roofs for the TFO and TSO loco hauled stock, one with two small vents and one with a larger single square shaped vent which stands off the roof line. Which one are we talking about here, I'm guessing the later as that seems to be what's on the remaining prototype HST coaches?

• CaleyDave
      CaleyDave commented
      Editing a comment
      Vonzack we are talking about the 3 smaller vents.
      The prototype HST has 3 smaller vents on all MK3 coaches and the Power Cars.
      Out of the 3 Coaches currently painted to match the preserved prototype hst only 1 has the as built 3 vents.
      The Production HST MK3 coaches all have 1 large vent.
      The Production Power Cars have 3 small vents.
      The MK3A locomotive hauled FO and SO coaches (along with conversions such as the CO) all had 3 vents when built.
      All other locomotive hauled MK3A coaches such as Catering cars and Sleepers had the big square vent.
      The MK3B locomotive hauled coaches had square vent. The only Open coaches built for BR were the FO's (Most of which for pullman trains) and the 3 BFO's.

• Vonzack
      Vonzack commented
      Editing a comment
      CaleyDave thanks for the info, I think I've got it now.

I wonder if the Dapol Mk 3 enthusiasts could get together to buy in bulk complete unpainted Mk 3 coaches for use with vinyls? There is obviously !!! going to be a run of lots of coaches shortly of each type. Paintstripping is a pain and coaches are fairly easily damaged. Or would it be better and cheaper from Dapol's point of view to sell sprues, I don't know, happy either way if Dapol are willing and there is a demand?

Comment

• Neil Dapol
      Neil Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      If there is sufficient evidence that a large enough customer base exists then this is something we could potentially consider.......

Originally posted by Arthur Hodgett View Post
    I wonder if the Dapol Mk 3 enthusiasts could get together to buy in bulk complete unpainted Mk 3 coaches for use with vinyls? ...
    I'd support this. I might actually make some progress with my NR-NMT rake if I could start with unpainted coaches. I'm not looking forward to a weekend with the nail polish remover and an electric toothbrush.
    Last edited by RailGooner; 31 August 2016, 20:57.

Comment

It may be worth exploring further what original HSt coaches are in service and if/when modified. This would increase the potential sales.

Comment

I may have missed the announcement, but is this project going ahead, or is it still just under consideration. I did sign up for the project but haven't heard if it is a definite project yet. Sorry if I've missed the announcement.

Comment

Some of the coaches were modified and incorporated into production HSTs -depending on what the modifications were this may offer scope for more liveries. No buffers presumably. Buffet cars were scrapped.. Two coaches went to royal train.

Comment

Originally posted by chriswrightmk View Post
            Some of the coaches were modified and incorporated into production HSTs -depending on what the modifications were this may offer scope for more liveries. No buffers presumably. Buffet cars were scrapped.. Two coaches went to royal train.
            They are heavily modified now - only remaining signs of their origins are the window frames and roof ventilators (the latter being the same as on LHCS and ex-LHCS Mk3s). Tooling for models of them as built wouldn't suitable for how they are now.

Only one of the two buffet cars was scrapped - the other one is in the NMT.

Comment

Any news on the prototype HST? When will we be asked for the final payment?

Comment

• Arthur Hodgett
                Arthur Hodgett commented
                Editing a comment
                When will we be asked to pay anything? Not heard anything since putting my name down for a set. When did you pay and how much? Hope I haven't missed the boat !!! (From China !)

• JeremiahBunyan
                JeremiahBunyan commented
                Editing a comment
                What seems to be the confusion here? The model is NOT crowdfunded. Dapol only asked for pre-orders to gauge interest. The pre-orders are like an expression of interest. You'll pay for it just like any other model, when it's in stock with Dapol. No one is going to pay to fund the model.

By way of an update:
              We are working through the production stages of the model. The power cars and the coaches are currently in tooling. Decoration artwork is underway and will be published when complete.

Regarding payment, orders etc.
              The order book will be open right up-to the point production commences, after that it will be closed.
              Customers still wishing to reserve a model can do so by contacting our sales dept ([email protected]) or by calling us and speaking with our sales dept. (+44 (0)1691 774455) NO MONEY IS REQUESTED at this stage, you are not committing to the model, merely reserving the opportunity to purchase one. We will take not of your contact details and request payment once we are ready to ship.
              If you do not express an interest before the order book is closed then we cannot guarantee you will receive a model as we are tailoring production to pre-orders.
              Regards
              Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Working...
              X